Front Coil Springs vs Coil Over's HELP - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Front Coil Springs vs Coil Over's HELP

Looking to go with the Global West tubular control arms for my '69 and just wanted some input on staying with the original coil spring/shock set up or switching to a coil-over setup.

What are the benifits of the coil-over?

Pros and cons of both?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Front Coil Springs vs Coil Over's HELP

my only real beef with coilover setups would be long term durability. you have a spring with little mass trying to do the job of a spring with a lot of mass- i would think they would sag faster.
also, i don't particularly like the idea of putting all that weight thru such small mounting points. yeah, you can beef up the mounting points- but then you are jsut adding unsprung weight back into the equation.
this is all from along term durability standpoint- if you only do a few hundred mile a year, i wouldn't worry about it. but i put a LOT of miles on stuff, and wouldn't want things to go wrong 200 miles from home..
on the plus side, it is easy to adjust ride height and add "wedge" if you want to.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 12:33 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

The only real benefits are light weight, spring choices, and adjustability.

In my experience, long term durability is not an issue. I would agree that a stock spring has the potential of lasting longer, but a good quality 3" spring will last for tens of thousands of miles. We have many customers with 20,000 miles plus on their cars. Art himself has over 5,000 on his '55, and it's even jumped over railroad tracks Dukes of Hazzard style. I wouldn't worry about it.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech

i just pondered the issue recently as well. it seems the coilovers have the 'easy and quick to change' settings and look pretty cool. they are only a little more expensive, and are lighter. if you're looking to shave half second off a lap time, it might be worth it. i went with the stock style coils and shocks for the reason i think most people do: we like to 'set it and forget it'. i have no need for adjustable ride height. i personally don't think they look that cool, either, so i had no reason to buy them. if you have an itchin' for some, go for it. but i think most of us are happy with the tried and true setup the camaro came with. in either case, don't forget to enjoy the heck out of your car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode