Low Brake Pedal problem - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 07, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Blaine

Low Brake Pedal problem

I did a search and read a lot. but it didn't answer my question My Brake pedal is low after a front disc conversion. I adjusted the rod from the pedal to the booster so that there was no pressure against the booster with the pedal touching the brake light stop. yes the clevis is in the bottom hole. I bled the brakes until one leg is bigger than the other with speed bleeders. ( go buy stock in brake fluid ) also the front right feels real tight now hard to turn the wheel with my hand with it jacked up. left side is tight too but not as tight as the right. I loosend the master from the booster and the pressure didn't change on the front. If i push against the edge of the piston with something it will loosen it up. are they suppose to be that tight?? how do i get my pedal height up?

Don't forget to post your results
it's good for the thread
My 67 RS/SS/396

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 07, 08:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Low Brake Pedal problem

you don't mention bleeding the rears...
Did you change the master or add a proportioning valve?
This was a change from drum to disk, right?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 07, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Blaine

Hi Jim i used this complete kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...spagenameZWDVW yes from drum to disc. changed the master with booster and proprtioning valve under booster. i changed the rear axle seals new wheel cylinders new shoes and springs in the back. I bled the back first in this sequence b/r-b/l-f/r-f/l and went around and did again about 4or5 times. I checked the rod between the master and booster and it's right there but doesnt push against the master when i put it up there. I do have a block under driver door on the frame rail because it had disc brakes at one time in the past. didn'nt seem to have a problem with the drums working.I just need to get my pedal up a little and figure out why the front right seams not to be releasing the same as the front left? I see you ran into some of this with your brakes I read thru your post a couple of times. What can I try next I'm stumped.

it's good for the thread
My 67 RS/SS/396

Last edited by blainedoe; Apr 12th, 07 at 09:30 PM. Reason: fixed link

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 07, 04:52 AM
Team Member

Is the pedal low, or soft? I do not believe that the calipers are self retracting, so I'm not currently concerned about the drag. If the pedal is low, try re-adjusting the rear drums. If it is soft then there must be air in the system somewhere. And finding that is the pain.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 07, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Blaine

Here's where I'm at now.I bled some more and think i got the brake pedal height ok. the right seems not to be releasing all the way or evenly with the left so they are sending me another caliper. now that i put the wheels back on my tires rub. they never rubbed before. the front tires rub on the back side of the fender on both sides it's like the new spindles moved everything back about 1/4" whats up with that? does the rotor hub stick out farther than or thicker than than the drum hub?? causing it to rub????????

it's good for the thread
My 67 RS/SS/396

Last edited by blainedoe; Apr 12th, 07 at 02:19 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 07, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainedoe View Post
now that i put the wheels back on my tires rub. they never rubbed before. the front tires rub on the back side of the fender on both sides it's like the new spindles moved everything back about 1/4" whats up with that? does the rotor hub stick out farther than or thicker than than the drum hub?? causing it to rub????????
Yep, the generic disc brake swaps all move the front wheel farther out--not sure exact how much. Mine never rubbed either until I put on a SSBC disc conversion, and afterwards they would always rub during tight parking-lot turns. They aren't rubbing at the moment because my nose is way in the air since my LS1 swap . I still need redo the front end again...

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 07, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Blaine

hey jon what size tires are you running in the front i have 215/70-15 now and thinking of going to 225/60-15 i didn't have a new set of tires in my budget for the brake swap tires on there now still in good shape DAM!

it's good for the thread
My 67 RS/SS/396

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 07, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech

The rotor's wheel mounting surface is about 1/4 inch farther out. It was that way from the factory, so it's not a 'generic" issue. I learned that the hard way trying to run disc brake rallys on a drum brake car. The offset for DB caused the tire sidewall to rub on the tie rod end.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 07, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech

FWIW, I ran 205 70 14s on my 68 without rubbing either side after the DB conversion.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 07, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainedoe View Post
hey jon what size tires are you running in the front i have 215/70-15 now and thinking of going to 225/60-15 i didn't have a new set of tires in my budget for the brake swap tires on there now still in good shape DAM!
I'm running 235/60-15 on 15x7 Torq-Thrust D's right now.

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 07, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Blaine

OK. i think i'm done went and bought new tires (225/60-15) to solve the rubbing issue wish i would have known about the rotors sticking out farther. Not that it would have changed anything but at least would have been expecting it and not have been such a surprise. I would like to thank everyone for there help and comments exspecialy david pozzi for taking the time to e-mail me I know he must be very busy but he still takes the time and puts out the effort to help thanks david. and to everyone else. Just a reminder to everyone doing the conversion. " your rotors will stick out a little futher " Good upgrade I had get up and go, NOW I have a lot of woooooe : beers on me. Team Camaro's the place

it's good for the thread
My 67 RS/SS/396

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode