Front disk conversion kits - who's the best? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question Front disk conversion kits - who's the best?

I just bought a 69 Camaro with power drums front and back. I want to convert the front to power disk and I could use some advice....
Car has a brand new booster and drum master. Can I keep the booster and just get a new disk master?
Some kits include the booster and master - is that a better way to go? Some kits include new disk brake spindles and some say they are direct bolt ons and can use the drum spindles with out modification (like ECI and ABS) - which is the better way to go?
Who makes the best kit overall - instructions, support, fit, compatibility with parts down the road?

I'm not experienced with brakes, but good mechanically, so great documentation will be a big plus! Or, is this more than I should be taking on? What do I need to look out for?

Thanks
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 06:41 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Re: Front disk conversion kits - who's the best?

I can't compare and contrast different setups since I only tried one, but the set I purchased from http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/ went together without problems and consisted of quality parts. The kit is really a CPP (classic performance products http://www.classicperform.com/) kit. It includes a cad plated booster with an oem appearance. The combination valve looks different than original, but doesn't concern me. I would recommend buying the full brake line kit at the same time.

Stock '68 Camaro L48 M20 3:31 LeMans Blue Coupe, black deluxe int, console w/gauges
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 07:16 PM

I would try Right stuff Detailing http://www.rightstuffdetailing.com/about_us.htm you may want to call to check pricing I called yesterday and the internet price is higher than the actual price. Just so you can price shop.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 07:34 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

www.rightstuffdetailing.com ....... I bought some of my stuff from these guys and was well satisfied.. I peiced mine together, I had an excellent original set of spindals and caliper mounting brackets with real good backing plates that I had bought some years ago.. The original upper control arms that I had come off of a disc brake car.. they were already drilled and tapped for the flex hose brackets.. Believe me it's really not that hard to do if your mechanicaly inclined,, I did it.. You should defiantly get a exploded view of the project before you start, it really helped me.. I believe you can use your power booster, but ask these guys first.. everything else you should buy the right stuff,, no pun intended.. I have read about the new type of set up that you can use your drum brake spindles, but I think it will cost you more $$$ ,, but would probly be easier,,, I don't know if it'll drop or raise your front end,, I think I saw those in the new classic Industries cat... If I remember right it takes different brake lines up front and I believe that the propotioning valve may be different... either way, it's pretty common upgrade anymore, so you should'nt have any problem buying everything you need now a days... and find plenty of advice... good luck...

When You Turn Your Car On,, Does It Return The Favor,??.. NO!.. Butt,, I hope to Change That Soon..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 07:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The "easy" disk kits are all based on 69 and newer single piston calipers and 11" drums, all factory type parts. Unless you want to get into some really fancy stuff, these work real well.

I've had some dealing with Right Stuff also, they are great people, highly recommended.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Jim..... Is the "easy disc" the one you can use your old drum brake spindles,????????

When You Turn Your Car On,, Does It Return The Favor,??.. NO!.. Butt,, I hope to Change That Soon..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Blaine

The only way I heard of using your old drum spindle is having to shave off the thickness of the caliper bracket off the top of the spindle were the dust shield and caliper bracket bolt to. They may have a bracket that bolts on different but I never seen it in my search.

Don't forget to post your results
it's good for the thread
My 67 RS/SS/396

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 07, 03:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewacky View Post
Jim..... Is the "easy disc" the one you can use your old drum brake spindles,????????
The "easy disk" is the one that uses all factory 69 camaro parts, and comes in your door preassembled on new spindles. 6 bolts, 2 brake lines, a new master and combo valve, poof, you're done.

"hard disk" would be all 4, C4, C5, or Wilwood type stuff.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 07, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks everyone for the info! I'll add a post after I buy and install a kit.

This forum is awesome!!! I joined a while ago but just got my 69, so now I can really benefit from all the experience that everyone brings to this group. Much appreciated!
Bob
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 07, 08:17 AM
George

If your looking for something a bit better than stock, try http://touring-classics.com/. I orderedd a complete kit and it was an easy install.

Great customer service.

George Chavarria

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode