Advice on Front/Rear Suspension Setup - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Rob

Advice on Front/Rear Suspension Setup

I have enjoyed reading all the tech info on the site and have tried to read up on all the suspension advice so far. I have a 67 Camaro with a stock suspension set up which I want to turn into a great handling car with a ProTouring type style.

I want to take a practical approach here, no extra dollars needed to look showy.

So far what I was thinking for my suspension was:
  • Cat5 Rear leaf (Global West)
  • Upper control arms, no lowers (GW)
  • New front springs (GW) and shocks (Koni)
  • Subframe connectors (GW)
  • Front sway bar (GW)
  • Bushings wherever needed (GW, DelaLum)
First question, can I consider the pros/cons of the Guldstrand Mod in place of buying new upper control arms. Second, what do folks think of the set up overall? Any opinion on Global West vs Hotchkis?

I am also planning to change the steering, based on this forum I am going to look for a 3rd generation IROC or TA box.

I have wheels and tires covered, and would look at front discs next.

Thanks for any input. Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 06:15 PM
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
David

Re: Advice on Front/Rear Suspension Setup

I'm beginning my suspension rebuild as of now. I can tell you that I love my hotchkis/revalved bilstein setup. Stance is mean and the ride is good. I will be performing the guldstrand mod. To my knowledge all one has to do is print out David's template, drill the new holes and cut off the top of the ears so that the Upper a-arms will clear. From what I hear it is the best suspension mod out there because its easy and its free!

As far as brakes, if you want cheap but effective go with the ls1 brake conversion. www.BRPhotrods.com has all that you need to convert over and you can find the calipers and rotors on the el cheapo on ebay

I am partial but you may want to check out alot of the hotchkis stuff. I like the way there stuff performs. Their TVS kit is very effective. Also, take a look at Hotchkis subframe connectors. They slip in and hug tight to the body.
Cheers and goodluck

the learning curve is....expensive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Camaro
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 06:17 PM
David Pozzi

Rob,
The cat5 are great but very stiff. If you intend on street driving the car, get rubber bushed leaf springs around 175 lbs/inch. Rear springs generally are horsepower related, so if you either have race tires on it, or have way above 500 hp, then you probably need the higher rate springs.

You can save money by getting circle track coils 5" diameter, 600 lbs rate, but you'd need to use the circle track "hidden" adjuster setup I have a link to on my web page.
You can also use Adco front and rear bars from Summit or Hotchkis Hollow bars.
I don't like the way the GW sub connectors hang down, but if you like them they certainly work as well as anyones.

It IS a pretty wise choice to get all the parts from the same place to insure the car is balanced in handling. I don't have a problem at all with you getting GW parts, just providing options for saving money. It is NOT guaranteed to work as well if you mix and match your parts. Even though sway bars are the same diameter, they can have different mounting bushings and materials that can alter their effective rates.

You could get by without the upper arms and just do the Guldstrand mod, or vice versa, but the extra caster the GW arms allow is very helpful to handling and extra caster reduces bumpsteer that is also problem with first gen Camaros. I'd do both if you will drive it hard.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 09:24 PM
Senior Tech

your in the same situation i was a year ago with my suspension upgrade. this is my opinon only, so take it for what it's worth. i have and love the global west stuff. i think thier subframe connectors are fine and are not too visually unappealing. the dse weld-ins are some serious surgery and it will take alot of work to get the subfame off if you ever need to in the future. the solid body bushings are a must with the gw connectors. they might even make your doors line up right! the gw springs (front and rear) are fantastic together. some people don't like the 600lbs/in hotchkis because of ride harshness, but i've noticed most people love them. the eibachs are the same rate as the gw's, but i believe they are progressive. gw's are 500lbs/in linear rate. they claim a 1 inch drop, but i think it's actually more. my stance looks alot like the hotchkis claim of 2 inches of drop. as for the gulstrand mod, if you're going to spend the money on upper a-arms, the sc&c stage 2 is the best bang for the buck, imho. with the stage 2, you don't have to drill and cut your subframe. i have it and i'm not jealous of anyone with the super-cool and expensive ats spindles (they require corvette brakes). i got to keep my wheels and have many more brake options to choose from. the delalum bushings are the way to go for bushings. i went with the hotchkis sway bar (1 1/8 inch hollow-same as 1 inch solid), only cuz i had some money to blow, but between the gw bar (1 inch) and the addco bar, the addco is the same specs without the gw logo on it for quite a bit less money. between the gw and addco, i would have went with addco, but the hotchkis was a few bucks more and a little lighter with practically the same performance. check out what gw recommends for sway bars with their different 'stages'. the sb-138 at 1 1/8 inch solid bar seemed a bit too much for me. check out the sway bar rates to help in your decision. the best shocks, again imho, are the varishocks, quickset 1 or 2. they are pricey, though. most seem to love the bilstiens (hotchkis revalves). the cat5 rear was quite a bit more money than i wanted to spend for the rear, so i went with the delalum bushings and shackles back there. the rear end doesn't shift at all, so i'm happy with them and don't feel like i cheated the car on any noticeable performance. as for steering gear, the lee or agr or third-gen swap seems to be the favorites of the forum. i think everyone would be happy with any of them. all in all i think you're headed in the right direction. there are alot of choices and almost all of them will be a remarkable improvement. have fun with it! i know i made alot of statements about what other people like and do with their cars, but i only say those things as a way to relay to you what my hours of observations have discovered on the subject. i'm not an expert, but there are plenty of members on this site that i would call experts. below is a link with some gw spring stances (on a 69). hope this helps!

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105279
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 07, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Rob

Thanks for all the input. Based on what I am hearing so far, will probably stick with GW for most of the stuff, to go with one setup, but use other options where I can.
  • L2 GW rear leaf, instead of the more radical Cat5 offering
  • GW a arms, springs, sway bar
  • Bilstien shocks instead of the Konis
  • Hotchkis subconnectors instead of GW
  • 3rd gen box from the trusty Kragen
Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 07, 10:07 AM
David Pozzi

That looks good. I'd talk to GW about which shocks they prefer. I understand Hotchkis sells revalved Bilsteins, perhaps GW does the same or has a good shock for their spring rates. I see Koni shocks on the GW web page. I don't think a standard shock from Autozone for soft stock coils is the right way to go with GW springs. We have the QA1's and they are adjustable and seem to work well for us, but I'm no shock expert, it's probably my weakest area.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode