Rag Joint - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 07, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Rag Joint

Where would you find a rag joint for a 67 with power steering. All the ones I see for sale are for manual steering. Any body Know?
P.S. What's the difference?

67 Camaro RS350SS (already restored) 68Convertible(future project)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Coupe(restoring)On hold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gave to friend.

67 Convertible (restoring)

67 Coupe(parts car for now)

72 Chevelle Malibu

2-69 Jaguar xke roadsters (appeasing the wife)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 07, 09:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Re: Rag Joint

That part is listed in their catalogue. #7828871

http://www.oldmusclecars.com/

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 07, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech

Up until 1976 the power steering gear input shaft was 13/16 inch diameter. All manual gears were 3/4 inch diameter. In 1977 the power gear input shaft was changed to 3/4 diameter.

So if you have a car with the old style power gear (one with the 13/16 input shaft) the 7828871 flexible coupling is the correct GM part number. I do not find that part number on the GMPartsDirect websight. So I don't think that GM dealers carry it any longer. But is seems to be available at http://www.oldmusclecars.com/

If the flange on the flexible coupling has a flat, it will only install one way on the gear.

However, if the flexible coupling does not have a flat, the flexible coupling will install on any of the 36 serrations on the gear input shaft. You will need to follow these instructions in order to install it correctly:

Set the gear exactly on the center of its pitman shaft sweep (count total revolutions of the input shaft - full lock to full lock; then come back from full lock exactly 1/2 the number of total revolutions.) Then with the gear exactly on center, you will need to install the flexible coupling with the stop pins at 6 and 12 o'clock. The head of the attaching pinch bolt should be pointing straight up, passing through the 9 o'clock quadrant.

JIML82

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 07, 04:54 PM
Banned

Do a search under me on this b/c you need the high-strength steel screenwire re-inforced rubber washer, imho!!

pdq67

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 07, 08:32 PM
Senior Tech

The screen that is molded into the face of the flexible coupling disc is for electrical continuity. With just a plain rubber disc, the flexible coupling may cause the steering column to be electrically isolated from the rest of the car. If this happens, you will not be able to blow your horn. Early flexible couplings (up until the early 1970s) had a brass strip or a wire that was installed around the center of the flexible coupling. This was a ground strap or wire that enabled a ground path to exist from the steering column shaft down through the flexible coupling, then down through the steering gear into the frame.

Starting in the early 1970s the screen was introduced. It did not add any durability to the rubber disc. It was a more reliable ground path for you to be able to blow your horn.

JIML82
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 07, 02:31 PM
Banned

Smile Re: Rag Joint

I know Jim, we've went through this before, but I'm here to say, my rubber washer is as tough as a steel-belted tire tread!!

pdq67

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 07, 09:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIML82 View Post

Starting in the early 1970s the screen was introduced. It did not add any durability to the rubber disc. It was a more reliable ground path for you to be able to blow your horn.
JIML82
Jim, Thanks. I was just trying to figure out how to re-install the ground strap when I decided to come search the forum. My new rag joint does have the steel mesh, so I guess I'm good to go.

Dave

all gave some
MY SON GAVE ALL

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 07, 01:04 PM
Banned

Rubber washer's tough as nails too, isn't it!!

Try bending it double and don't get bit by the screen wire ends!!

pdq67

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 07, 04:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

It does seem tough, but man those wires tear up your hands. It didn't exactly "slip" on the spline and trying to work it on it's hard to avoid the wires. Ouch.

Dave

all gave some
MY SON GAVE ALL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode