traction bar - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 07, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

traction bar

Can someone direct me to a traction bar that will place the snubber directly on my spring eye?
I have Lakewoods now and they are a few inces short.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 07, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: traction bar

Comp Engrg, p/n 2101.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 05:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick View Post
Can someone direct me to a traction bar that will place the snubber directly on my spring eye?
I have Lakewoods now and they are a few inces short.

Thanks,
Hey Mike what's the problem ,I ran the Lakewood's for 20 + like that no prob.they were designed that way to be just before spring eye, never bent a spring or broke…Happy Motoring

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I've been told by many that it was supposed to hit the spring eye. Plus, rear traction has been a serious issue for me. 2.6 60' times.

So I replaced the front springs and bushings and bump stops and will soon do the shocks too.
So in the rear, I plan to do bushings, leaf spring pads and was told to replace my traction bar with one that hits the spring eye. You can see where the snubber has been hitting on my spring and its left a significant mark.

So do you think hitting before the spring eye is OK?
I just don't know enough about traction bars and suspension to make an educated decision.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 08:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick View Post
I've been told by many that it was supposed to hit the spring eye. Plus, rear traction has been a serious issue for me. 2.6 60' times.

So I replaced the front springs and bushings and bump stops and will soon do the shocks too.
So in the rear, I plan to do bushings, leaf spring pads and was told to replace my traction bar with one that hits the spring eye. You can see where the snubber has been hitting on my spring and its left a significant mark.

So do you think hitting before the spring eye is OK?
I just don't know enough about traction bars and suspension to make an educated decision.
Boy Mike I can not say eather way but ,I had no problem with mine as same as yours and that is the way they were designed,all the camaros I have looked at runnung the Lakewood bars were just shy of the front spring eye ,I was running 10.80's @124mph I can not remember my 60 ft. 1.60???,now I am going more street that drag,I did trim the snubber as it was contacting the spring sitting static,so to get rid of preload I trimmed the snubber so had a 1/4 in gap at static...are you wheel hopping???your 60 ft. times may be suffering from tire spin ...Happy Motoring

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

Last edited by 68Lemans blue; Apr 20th, 07 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Ran Lakewoods in Super Stock back in the old days (70 to 75). Never had a problem with the snubber location. Comp Engineering has bars that do place the snubber under the spring eye. If you can swing it, Cal Tracs would be e better choice. More costly though. I found a set of plans on how to make your own bars, based on the Cal Trac design.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

The Lakewoods I have on there stop all wheel hop but my traction problems are more than just traction bar related.
I had no weight transfer due to front spring height cut to low and my snubbers were hard against the spring causing severe preload. I think that caused my leaf spring to be very stiff because it was like driving a wagon when on the roads.

I'm sure you guys are right and the Lakewood's are fine but I'm just covering all bases.
Since the last time I had it at the track, I have replaced the front springs and bushings and bump stops so my front ride height is now too high. I misjudged and should have gone with the Moroso trick springs but instead, went with a Moog spring called out for 67-69 Camaros with BBC.

I'm now going for the rear suspension upgrades.
New shocks (not sure which type and what kind....any suggestions?)
Traction bars
leaf spring bushings
leaf spring pads

I am going to go ahead and try those CEE-2101 suggested earlier in this thread. A friend of mine has a need for the Lakewood's that are on mine, he only has a wheel hop problem and these Lakewood's will solve that problem fast.
So I'll give them to him in trade for a new grill and headlight bezels.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi View Post
Ran Lakewoods in Super Stock back in the old days (70 to 75). Never had a problem with the snubber location. Comp Engineering has bars that do place the snubber under the spring eye. If you can swing it, Cal Tracs would be e better choice. More costly though. I found a set of plans on how to make your own bars, based on the Cal Trac design.
I've thought seriously about those Caltracs too.

Did your Lakewoods put the snubber under the spring eye?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 12:49 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I run the Lakewoods and bent my 40 y.o. mono spring with traction one good time (1.760) and now have the same slappers but with new 4 leaf replacements.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 02:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

slapper bars suck in comparision to slide a links or cal tracs!

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 04:20 PM
Banned

Sure they do, AND cars don't run deep into the 10's w/ them either!!

And for the cost, they are good value to me!!

Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!

pdq67

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 07:01 PM

You experts can say "slapper bars suck" all you want. I have a friend with a 67 camaro that runs 9.80's and 1.40 60 foot times using...yup you guessed it slapper bars. He's got a nova that runs 10.50's with slapper bars as well. More to the slapper bars than bolting them on....
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo48 View Post
You experts can say "slapper bars suck" all you want. I have a friend with a 67 camaro that runs 9.80's and 1.40 60 foot times using...yup you guessed it slapper bars. He's got a nova that runs 10.50's with slapper bars as well. More to the slapper bars than bolting them on....

What kind of bars does he have?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 01:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

slapper bars was yesterdays technology.
they didnt work that great otherwise the companies that made them wouldnt redesign them.
IMO go for the new tech. it works

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 01:57 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Well not to argue.... but.... buddy with a Nova (not the same above) ran slappers into the 10's. Went to Cal-tracts and 60' went up (slowed) which he got back down. He claimed the onlt thing that the Cal-tracts did was allow tunning.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode