Brake Light Stays On - HELP! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Brake Light Stays On - HELP!

68 RS SS with manual drum brakes. All new brake components including rebuilt original master cylinder. I used the original switch on the proportioning block and on the emergency brake, Light stays on. Have real good pedal but it does pull to the left a little when braking hard. The BB with TH-400 does stress the manual drum brakes. Have to plan braking a few second ahead of time but not a big deal. Could the proportioning switch be stuck or gone bad? All I did was clean it up and oil the shaft. Can it be tested without removing? Any ideas to get this brake light to go off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Brake Light Stays On - HELP!

Does it have a switch above the brake pedal, like a '69 ? This switch turns your rear brake lights on. Or is it your dash light, telling you that there is a problem ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Brake Light Stays On - HELP!

When I pull the brown wire off the proportioning valve the light goes out. I assume this is an indication of either a bad switch or non-balanced system. This may be why it pulls to the left. When I blead the system I started with the right rear, left rear, right front, and then left front. This was an all new dry system when I started. The pedal feels very solid. I'll go back and bleed the system again. Any tips on getting it right? Another post mentioned something about making sure a device was centered. Not sure what that meant.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech
john

if your system is ok and bled. try to apply some fast hard pressure the the brake pedal....vehicle not running ! this may re-center the differential pressure switch.

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

The valve can be recentered pretty easily. Have a helper push the pedal while watching the light. The key will need to be on so the light lights up. Crack one of the master cylinder lines loose and allow some fluid to escape. This will relieve some pressure on one side of the valve. As the pedal goes down, the light should go out. Have the helper yell as it goes out and immediately close the line. If the first line doesn't work, try the other line. One or the other will do the trick. Don't go too fast or use too much pedal pressure or you may send the valve the other way and turn the light back on.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 07, 12:20 AM
Senior Tech

for the pulling to one side- go do a couple of hard stops in reverse at about 15-20 mph. this will cause the brakes to self adjust. i had to do that on my Nova about every other week when it had the 4 wheel drums.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 07, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode