Leaf spring bushings - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Leaf spring bushings

Can someone tell me how to remove the leaf springs? I want to change out my leaf spring bushings.
I understand they need to be pressed in? A place down from me does that but I'm going to need to bring them down to them.

I'm going to have to support the axle and I was going to use jack stands for that.
What is a good stable jack stand for supporting the whole car when the wheels and springs are off?
My normal jackstands don't seem stable enough for that. I was thinking of using them for the axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 03:44 PM
Banned

Re: Leaf spring bushings

Mike,

I have posted here going through doing this many, many times so please do a search under my handle!!

I stress making darn sure your car is up and cribbed SAFE b/c if it isn't, it can KILL YOU if it come's down w/ you under it!!

pdq67

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

You will need to support the body of the car along with the axle. Remove the springs from the front and work your way back. The is a lot of info regarding this topic. If you need front eye bushings I have a set of Prothane poly bushings that I did not use when I purchased a new set of springs. They were from a kit of bushings for a mono leaf car. Contact me if you are interested in them.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 03:55 PM
Banned

DO THIS SAFE!!!!!!!!!

pdq67

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I did mine this winter, never took the springs outa the car or disconnected the shackles. It's kinda a pain, but doable. I used a length of all thread and a piece of the right size pipe to press the bushings out and the new ones in.

Search is suspensions for the posted I started, there's pics of the rig I used to press them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Thanks guys,

That's why I asked about jackstands and stuff, because I don't really trust crawling under there when its on just two jackstands.
So I thought about cinder blocks or something for supporting the body in front of the spring eye area.
I was going to set the blocks on their sides and then another on top of those, also on its side for my stability and I was going to use the old rubber spring pads between block and the body.

Then I would trust the jackstands for supporting the axle.

I will look up your old threads PDQ and find out what I unbolt and what I unbolt first.

I'd try the all-thread and pipe trick but I'm so inexperienced at this, I think I will have that shop press in the bushings for me.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 10:43 PM
Senior Tech
Blaine

I would NOT use cinder blocks.

Don't forget to post your results
it's good for the thread
My 67 RS/SS/396

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 04:31 AM
Senior Tech
Maurice

DO NOT use cinder blocks ! I have personally seen them break under the load of a vehicle. use jackstands,blocks and a jack. anything solid that wont move around or break. using cement blocks can KILL YOU !
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Cement blocks crumble. Jack stands don't. Visit your local Harbour Freight store, 50% off sale through May 12.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Harbor freight?

OK no cinder blocks then.

Jackstands just seem a bit wobbly sometimes.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech
Daral

Get a pair of GOOD jackstands. Make sure they are on a solid surface and you will be fine.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech

Here is what you don't want to do! Keep it safe use good jackstands and don't rely on the hydraulic type for more than just lifting the car so you can get the jack stands properly placed.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Definitely....
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Maybe I should take a step back.

How do I know if I even need to change out the bushings? Is there an indicator when they are bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode