1969 Camaro Shackle bolts - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 07, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

1969 Camaro Shackle bolts

Have a 69 camaro that I am in the process of removing the rear and the right bottom side shackel bolt is a carrage bolt on one side and the left side is a threaded rod with nuts on both ends, I know the threaded rod is not original? Would like to know if the carage bolt is original or some other type of special square bottom bolt? Thanks Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 07, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: 1969 Camaro Shackle bolts

That bolt should be welded onto the shackle. Just take a wrench and unscrew the nut. Use plenty of PB blaster also. Also easier if tank is dropped but not necessary.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 07, 04:21 PM
Kevin

Dave, no bolt was welded to the shackles. rusted on yes, welded no.

Steve, the originals are special shouldered carriage bolts. Most parts places carry shackle bolts and kits.

Here is a pic. the shorter one is for 1st gens, the longer is for 70 and up.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 07, 04:24 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I've never seen the carrage bolt welded to a shackle... The carrage bolt is correct from the factory and each shackle half will have one round hole and one square hole for the carrage bolt to go through. The upper and lower bolts go in opposite of each other.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 07, 04:41 PM
Banned

Smile Re: 1969 Camaro Shackle bolts

The holes and bolts are staggered so you can leave the top one in the frame bushing and you then pull the bottom one out from the outside so you don't have to drop the tank to replace springs if I remember right.....

OR visa-versa, I forget!! BUT whatever, you shouldn't have to drop the tank to R&R springs is what I'm getting at....

pdq67

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 07, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Kevin, I stand corrected. My new shackles are welded. The originals are as you described. My bad.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 07, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

Thanks, Another question should the shackle move forward and back at the top bolt bushing area when the spring/axel is moved up and down?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 07, 07:06 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
Thanks, Another question should the shackle move forward and back at the top bolt bushing area when the spring/axel is moved up and down?
Yes, to some degree.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

Thank,another question are the nuts for these shackle bolts a 1 time use?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 03:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

on any suspension part as critical as that i would replace with grade 8 hardware.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

Does anyone out there know a mail order company that will sell just the nuts and bolts I called around localy and they only have the shackle kits? thanks Steve
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Rick's has just the nuts in their catalog. Not the bolts. Check ebay. If you are replacing spring and shackle bushings the shackle kits usually have rubber bushings. If you are replacing with urethane bushings the shackle kit bolt may be to long as compared to stock bolt. At least in my case when I replaced my rear suspension. I needed to use stock length bolts with urethane bushings. The bolts in my shackle kit with rubber bushings were to long. Ask me how I know. So I cleaned up my shackles and reused them. Mine were not in bad shape.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 04:35 PM
Banned

Top bolt moving around.. No by me..

It should be pretty solid in new rubber or poly, imho..

It's the botttom one that moves solidly too w/ the spring as it lengthens and shortens going up and down..

I figure you have a decent amount of play if either one move much at all!! Time for a rebuild back there for sure to me!!

pdq67

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

Hi, thanks for the replys the bushings & springs are newer but the upper bushings on the shackel & bolts/nut are original and it may be time to replace the entire shackel, would like to know if the shackel kit from Ricks is a good kit, does anyone know who manufactures it or is it a over seas cheap set or does any one out there have a set that they like? thanks Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode