New conversion problems - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

New conversion problems

1969 single piston style, lines bleed,booster rod adjusted, new Repop master booster, calipers, hoses. All tight and conected I start the engine or not same result. Press down on pedal brakes go on, let up on pedal brakes drag. remove master from booster with lines still on to check for rod adjustment problem, still drag. I see the caliper pushing and releasing however not enough release. I am thinking the pad caliper and rotor are sandwitched together with little room to return much, as if they are too thick as a set. If I just lightly pry the caliper and push the piston in a fraction rotor spins fine, but when you use the brakes and release, it drags to a point where you need two hands to spin the rotor. Almost as if I put used pads on it would have enough room to retract better. Has anyone run into the pads being so thick there was almost no room to retract on the repop kits? My test drive gave me blue colored rotors after 5 miles or so. I know normal discs have a very light drag no mater what espcialy new , but this is more than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech

Re: New conversion problems

After you apply the brakes try cracking one of the caliper bleeder screws to see if any excessive pressure is relieved and the brake frees up. You may have a bad line that is preventing the fluid from returning. IF the pads were too thick I would think that you would have had a very hard time getting the caliper asembly over the rotor in the first place. If there is no excessive pressure in the system then I would have to say that the seal inside of the caliper is either the wrong one or was not installed properly adn hindering the return of the piston.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 06:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I had the same problem once. It was the calipers were not sliding on the caliper mounting brackets and not allowing the back pad to release. I simply lubricated the slots in the caliper and now they work fine.

68 convertible

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I guess that is the next step, I will try when I get home. The piston does retract a little, but it cant push out much as well. The pads just bearly slide over the rotor when the piston is all the way retracted , its snug. It takes little effort to pry the piston back leading me to belive its not being held up by presure, But its worth a try. Have to try untill I find it.
Also while im there I will lube the___ out of conection points of the caliper slides as sugested. Ive done a million brake jobs, and these pads do look thick. Its all in the fun of repop is why I thought I would see if anyone ran into this. I never have. Thanks for replys
Brian
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech
Blaine

does both of them do this or just one side?

Don't forget to post your results
it's good for the thread
My 67 RS/SS/396

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys it is both sides, that what stumped me. I got home and checked to be sure I lubed everything as well as I thought. I did. I cracked a bleeder. No build up psi. Then I decided to remove calipers and push the piston out some (with the handle of a hammer in the way of the piston) it moved about half way out. Then pushed it back in w/c-clamp. Pushed on the brake and wala a normal amount of drag on both rotors. I feel better now! I bet they were assembled dry and it affected the piston action even after I put fluid to it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 07, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sorry have to update: It was not sticking calipers from dry assembly! I just jumped the gun. It turns out for sure that the rod from the kit was too long. The kit came with two rods from the booster to the master ( short and very long) I used the short one. After a sort 5 mile test drive the brakes would get tighter and tighter in the front. The pedal was always high and sensative. It was a very light preasure on the frt. pads but enough to cause rotors to run very hot. By shimming the master away from the booster 1/4 inch it alowed the fluid to return to the master completly and release front brakes. The master rod is not adjustable with this kit. It is just too long. The kit came from E-pay with a (reproduction) 70s style proportining valve and 69 calipers and master 11 inch booster. Took me a some time to figure this out just wanted to pass it on. I read some posts here to make me look for that potential issue. Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode