68 Mono Leafs Different Widths - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 07, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Jane

68 Mono Leafs Different Widths

The springs on my car are each the same width in the middle. However, there is about a 1/4" difference in both ends from one spring to the other. The replacement rubber bushings fit one spring but not the other.

We didn't notice this when we took the components apart. Now we're wondering if there is a reason for the size difference. And, does it matter which spring goes on which side. One spring has a 2 stamped into it. The other is unmarked.

Have any of you noticed this before? Or was the spring fabricator just having an off day back in 1967?

Jane -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Plain!

'68 numbers-matching
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 327, column-shift Powerglide, Factory AC, currently dark blue/black. We want to return it to correct Ash Gold/Ivy Gold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 07, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 68 Mono Leafs Different Widths

Nothing wrong with the shape, monoleaf springs are tapered not only in thickness, but width also. Newer designs, have came up with the shape you see. And, maybe, could be the quality of the spring manufactured.

Both springs should be of the same rate/workload. No difference between sides. However, I would place the springs side-by-side on the floor arches pointing down, place the springs upside down, ^ on their spring eyes, and install the taller spring on the driver side.

Pads fitting the one spring and not the other, meaning pads fit the OE springs and not aftermarket OR, fits one afermarket spring and not the other aftermarket spring?

If the two aftermarket springs do not look alike, then I would get a matched pair first. You're only asking for trouble by getting two unlike springs.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 07, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

If you need a matched set of monos I just pulled off a set from my 69 chevygrrl. By Rick's catalog all first generation camaros use the same mono springs. I also would have new prothane front eye bushings to go along with them. But it would be best if you would have them resprung first. Thirty years has caused them to sag. But they would be a matched set. Or another option is to do a 3 leaf mono replacement. Which I did and am very happy with mine. Didn't have to replace any perches or modifications. They are sold through JCW @ $70 ea., part number ZX942669X. They are listed for Novas but I have seen through many posts here that others have also done this swap. Send me a message if interested in the springs. I can look and see if mine have any numbers stamped in them as yours.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 07, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Jane

These are the mono leafs off my car, not replacements we have bought. We have just taken them off and refurbished them. Now we notice the size discrepency.

The arches are the same and the pads fit. It's the flare outs at both ends that are not the same width. The diameter of the holes are the same.

Jane -
Plain!

'68 numbers-matching
, 327, column-shift Powerglide, Factory AC, currently dark blue/black. We want to return it to correct Ash Gold/Ivy Gold.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 07, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygrrl View Post
The arches are the same and the pads fit. It's the flare outs at both ends that are not the same width. The diameter of the holes are the same.
Then, you did not get your two springs back from the spring vendor, one of yours and one of somebody else's.....

Both L & R springs should be the same physical shape and size.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 07, 02:28 PM
David Pozzi

The main concern is are they the same rate?
You can test the rate by placing them upside down and having someone very large stand on the center of the leaf and measure it's height.

If the end width/appearance is bothering you, - and it would bother me, there are lots of old mono-leafs available.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 07, 05:46 PM
Banned

They are 2.75" wide and thin on both ends and 2.25" wide and thick in the middle!!!

Double-tapered and I don't think anybody has stepped up and tooled up to make them re-popped!!

pdq67

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 07, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Jane

We didn't send the springs out, so I'm sure their ours. However, we're pretty sure the left right rear quarter was damaged and repaired. It may be that the spring was also replaced at that time.

One is 2.75" at the ends and 2.25" in the middle. The other is 2.5" at the ends and 2.25" in the middle.

David, we'll have to check the rate. As an aside, I see that you live in Central Cal. Is that Central Coast? I'm in Paso Robles and grew up in King City. Are you related to Gary Pozzi?

Jane -
Plain!

'68 numbers-matching
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 12:53 AM
David Pozzi

Yes, we have some cousins in KC, I'm in Salinas.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Jane

My husband found plenty of mischief growing up with your cousins.

Jane -
Plain!

'68 numbers-matching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode