Anyone ever rebuild their manual steering box? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 07, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Anyone ever rebuild their manual steering box?

I have a 70 nova with power steering that I want to switch to manual. Not interested in upgrading the power to 3rd gen since its mainly a strip/street, in that order, and I prefer not having the pump and lines. Just stating all that because I know a lot of guy here have done it and love it.

Anyway, I picked up a used manual box for cheap. It feels just a little rough or notchy right in the center as you turn it back and forth. It smooths out and seems fine everywhere else lock to lock. I'm wondering if rebuilding it is something I can do or not. Can you buy a rebuild "kit" for these or do you have to know what parts to order. I would have no clue. Any good source for instructions on rebuilding.

Worst case I can buy a new or rebuilt box but at $275 + I'd like to try this if possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 07, 02:12 PM
Dave

Re: Anyone ever rebuild their manual steering box?

I rebuilt a manual box for my 68 over the winter. Just take it apart carefull and clean everything up real well. Put it back together, fill it up with some grease and its good as new. Just take time to adjust it properly.

I bought a rebuild kit at a local parts store. Otherwise look online, the kits are out there.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 07:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Take off the top cover bolts. You have to screw in the adjuster to get it off. Take a look inside and see what it looks like. If all the grease is gone and it's full of gunk, you'd be better of getting a rebuilt or rebuilding the whole thing. Mine was just like yours. It was smooth everywhere but in the middle. When I took it apart, the bearings, bushings, shafts etc., were all galled and pitted. I had it rebuilt with all new guts and it was $300. Since this didn't come off your car, just buy a good one or rebuilt if yours is no good.

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 07:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Here was my thread.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...=steering+gear

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech
tom

I rebuilt mine the parts were all good. I did replace the bronze bushings, had a machine shop make those, new seals good as new. All for about 50 bucks.

Last edited by sawabunch; Apr 28th, 07 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 07, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll take it apart and see what it looks like. If nothing else, it'll pay for itself as a core for a new one. Thanks again.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 07, 02:39 AM

Did you find any kit somewhere to rebuild your manual box? Or did you buy a new rebuilt one? I'm curious because I have to rebuild my manual box too, but can't find any kit, just loose parts.

1967 Coupe 327/TH350

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 07, 04:01 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

May be of some help..
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/steeringbox.php

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 07, 04:44 AM

Thanks, but looking for a manual steering box rebuild and possible rebuild kits.

1967 Coupe 327/TH350

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode