Sway bar link length - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 07, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SS

Question Sway bar link length

Can someone please post pics of their sway bar links w/ lowered rd ht coils preferably hothckis 1907 springs and the hotchkis bar 2207f. I just installed these springs and the front end is plenty low. In fact with the big bar(ST) I have currently, I can't really install the links so the bar is parallel to the lower control arm.

In measuring from the bottom of the frame/bar bushing location the distance is only 2" and hence the bar not going to be parallel even with the shortened links.

I'm wondering if the hotchkis bar (2207F) doglegs(not the center) upward to give more room-it doesn't look like it from the web pics.

Thanks, SS.

406, TKO 600 and 12 bolt posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 07, 07:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Sway bar link length

I have hotchkiss springs with an addco bar. Car is low (crossmember to ground about 4"!) I cut the spacers as short as possible, about 3/4". Bar is running uphill a bit, but any shorter and stuff woulda started binding up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 07, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech

I have the SB hotchkis spring and 1 /18 hollow sway bar
I left the link from hotchkis the same length they sell it (about 2")

But I was looking today and the sway bar is far from level, I was thinking about cutting it down, but didnt know how short the link could be before it starts to bind

But i think the hotchkis bar does have a small step up in the arms, but it is not enough to level the arms

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 07, 10:04 PM
David Pozzi

If your car is lowered the bar arms are not going to be level.
I wouldn't shorten the link sleeves below 2". There are worse things than having the arms level, - binding.

Also, don't over tighten the poly end link bushings, you shouldn't squash them as much as rubber end link bushings.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 07, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SS

If I had 2" sleeves the bar will be at a 45+* angle to the LCA ??

I am going to use rubber endlinks in an attempt to soften the bar, I will lengthen the sleeves and see what it looks like.

Any pics would be appreciated since it seems to already be at a really extreme angle, and I am wondering if it is based somewhat on my bar thickness/design!

SS

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 07, 05:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'll try to get you a pic tonight.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 07, 06:00 PM
David Pozzi

Just measured my old front bar setup. My sleeves are 2.5" tall, and from A arm surface to center of antiroll bar is 4". My car was pretty low and while the antiroll bar arms were not perfectly level, it seemed a good compromise at the time. My bar was a GM racing bar no longer available. I may have to make some further adjustments when I put on the new Hotchkis bar.
David

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 07, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SS

Hmm, what are your plans for the 1" bar I presume you are going to hold on to it? I don't see a way to use a spacer longer than 1.25 or so with my current set up! SS

Last edited by davidpozzi; May 1st, 07 at 01:02 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 07, 07:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Here's a pic of my front suspension. The spacers in the sway bar links are 1/2 - 3/4" or so. The bar is at the same angle as the g/w lower control arm.
For reference, this is a 68, and it is loooow, 12" from center of hub to fender lip.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 01:03 AM
David Pozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by railing68 View Post
Hmm, what are your plans for the 1" bar I presume you are going to hold on to it? I don't see a way to use a spacer longer than 1.25 or so with my current set up! SS
It's a 7/8" bar, by the time I bought mine, GM ran out of the 1" and 15/16" bars, so I took what I could get. I mounted it in aluminum frame blocks to get more rate out of it.

Aftermarket arms and poly bushings make a difference, also if the frame mounts lower the bar at all it can make the angle worse. Jim's car looks VERY low. A tall tire makes things worse too.
David

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
Jim's car looks VERY low. A tall tire makes things worse too.
David
I really need to take a few pics and organize some facts and post up in David's spring post. Yes indeed she is low, particularly in front. Some of it is the tires, only 23.5" tall. With the stiff Hotchkiss springs, I got no more bottoming out or scraping anything, VERY happy with the ride, handling, and stance.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 08:53 AM
David Pozzi

Jim,
I drove a friends BB Chevelle the other day, it has Hotchkis springs, and it rode even better than a Camaro, very firm but a very smooth ride. I was quite impressed with it. I actually drove it before knowing what springs were in it and had guessed they were not Hotchkis.

I think your tubular arms have the anti-roll bar mount slightly higher than a stock arm, - at least it looks higher, so that would probably require a shorter link.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SS

The ride etc from the hotchkis springs is good to hear since I just installed them myself. I think I am going to have to lower the rear to match the front. I planned on posting in (combos section) as well but I need to sort out this link issue. Since the factory LC arms angle are substantially different than the tubular in terms of the curvature on the top side.

I have GW uppers but saw no real benefit until now to the lowers other than some added strength and wt reduction. I'll try to post a pic to show what I am referring to.
SS

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Tonight I'll try to get her outside and take some fresh stance pics, and post up to David's spring post. The hotchkiss springs felt very stiff at first, but after a few days I don't know why I didn't get them sooner.

I got lucky, picked up the lower arms and the springs from a member who didn't need them for virtually nothing. I would not have bought the lower arms at full price, but the bling factor is awesome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode