SE Michigan, want to hire help with disc brake conversion and suspension rebuild kit - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 07, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

SE Michigan, want to hire help with disc brake conversion and suspension rebuild kit

I'm working on a 67 Firebird convertible, and trying to get it road ready by June 2nd, to hook up with the Power Tour.

I've got a disc brake kit and a suspension re-build kit still to install.

The brakes are all pretty much pre-assembled, with the brackets, rotors, bearings, calipers, pads, spindles already put together. The rears require assembly.

The master cylinder is also already pretty much assembled. I even sprung for pre-bent lines.

The suspension rebuild is what has me concerned. New ball joints, coil springs, control arm bushings, and so on.

I think I have all the parts compiled, but am looking for someone that has done the suspension rebuild and hopefully disc brkae conversion on a 1st gen before to assist.

I'll pay cash, and food too.

Any takers?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 07, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech
bill

Re: SE Michigan, want to hire help with disc brake conversion and suspension rebuild

i can do it but you kinda far from me. do you got all tools? ill fly out there for a week or less get it all done for you.got a lift? i did these conversions 5 times on cars.lift alot easier to do it on than the ground takes longer on ground.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 07, 08:53 PM
Banned

Re: SE Michigan, want to hire help with disc brake conversion and suspension rebuild

General,

I used my trusty el-cheapo, $9.00 HFT air chisel and did my new poly A-Arm bushings totally by hand in like 3.5 to 4 hours one Sat. afternoon while sitting on my garage floor!! A chisel will knock them right out!!! Just work around them w/ the gun and pop!!

I then just used a stack of different sized cheap thick washers, a short length of 1/2" althread and several nuts and some lube on the threads along w/ my 1/2" ratchet, socket and needed boxend!! And a couple of short sockets to use as spacers to keep from calapsing the bushing flanges as I pressed them back in w/ the althread.... You will see what I mean.....

Only thing was that I did wear a small blister in the palm of my hand after wearing the "hair" off it!!

He, He!!

And on the last one, you need a short piece of stout wood 1 x to use as a spacer to keep from bending in the jaw of the a-arm while putting in the last one using a decently sized Ford Tool by hand w/ the upper A-arm shaft in RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

No biggie at all!

EASY job to me! One shop wanted like $80 to do it!! I just said, Thanks and LEFT FAST!!!!

As for ball-joints, and grind them off using a 4.5" angle grinder, or cut them off w/ a sharp cold chisel or center punch them and drill them off carefully and bolt them back on!!! Again EASY!!

Springs, the HARDEST thing is making DARN sure the top pigtail is in it's proper location and go!!! Use a GOOD internal spring compressor here.

You will need to thread it all up from the bottom hole probably in pieces as well as use a small floor jack located at a 90 degree from the centerline of the car so it can move in and out as it lifts and such..

Work carefully!!!

If springs have to come out and spindles off first, tie the springs down using a short piece of light chain or rope it SEVERAL times b/ if one get's away from you, it CAN KILL YOU!!

I ALWAYS raise and lower my cars spindles from the side of the extended jack handle just in case.. Not straight on for safety is all......

Lossen each ball joint castle nut about two complete threads and put the jack under DOWN AND LOOSE a bit to catch it like I said earlier and whack both sides of the spindle first one ball joint until it pops using a 3 pound Ford Tool and then the next one until it pop's too and you can drop them right down..

I'm talking about some pretty good WHACK'S if they don't pop right loose easy!! No biggie at all... And don't get all up tight when one pop's b/c it can POP pretty f-- LOUD!!!! Like BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And just reverse repeat and you are done!!

I did mine in like three day's once I got started!! Same way w/ the rearend but like in a day!!

General, I think you can do this fine AND if you run into a glitch, haul yourself back ta the keyboard here and ask us what need's to be done!!

Been there, done this a couple a times, He, He!!!!

Only problem I had was that it was at least 95 to a 100 f-- degrees out when I got the nerve up ta finally tackle my 100 percent suspension rebuild!!!

pdq67

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

jaguareats, no thanks, way to far away to help out.

pdq67, Thanks for the AWESOME tips. I will definitely be printing out your post and taking it out to the garage with me.

I'd still like someone local with experience though, to knock this out if possible.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 04:38 PM
Banned

Two more things, general!!

Crib her up at the end you are working on GOOD AND SOLID and leave the other end down on the ground on your tires for better stability to me!

And WORK SAFE, WORK SAFE, WORK SAFE!!!

Oh, did I say "WORK SAFE"??????

Sucker can kill you if a spring get's away from you OR it come's down on you if you are under it!!!

I think you will do FINE and DON'T forget ta keyboard us here if you need any advice or help!!

Go gett'm Guy!!!

pdq67

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
bill

if doing by your self get a chain and go around a coil on spring and go around the frame incase the spring flies out it will stop from the chain.and wont take your head off safety first
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 07, 06:11 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

where are you located?

Classic's only cost alot if you add up how much you spend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 07, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech

If you have a day time job it might be hard to get it done by yourself.
However you do have a goal, (a great one I might add) which makes it easier to stay up late and wrench.

If you can manage to take a week off work you wont have any troubles. It's the after work that kills me most of the time.

Good Luck,

Rich

AFR Heads W/ Jesel valve train

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS / SS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode