column to gear box alignment - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 07, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
joe

Send a message via AIM to zbo2
Unhappy column to gear box alignment

i'm having a problem getting the steering wheel to line up properly. 69Z w/power... the gear box is centered and the wheels are straight however when i go to hook up the column the steering wheel is 3/8's of a turn to the left. the gear box shaft has a flat spot like the rag joint so that can only go on 1 way, and the column has only one way the the rag joint can go on so the bolt will pass through. the horn button on the wheel end of the column can only go on 1 way also. any help will be appreciated!

Joe

69 Z-28 Fathom Green />93 Z-28 Pace Car/>86 Corvette...Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 07, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Re: column to gear box alignment

You might have to pop the steering wheel off and readjust it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 07, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Are you sure the pitman arm is on right and your box is centered?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 07, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
joe

yup................box is centered, tie rods are centered on both sides, pitman arm is pointing straight forward wheels are straight. the steering wheel can only go on 1 way since the cam or retainer for the horn button can only go on 1 way. it's a tilt column, the only thing i'm not sure of is if there is a way inside the column to adjust the alignment.

Joe

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 07, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Is this a rebuilt tilt column? If so, it could be assembled improperly. My rebuild column is assembled wrong, but it's a 68 so I can put the steering wheel anwhere and still feed the horn button through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 07, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
joe

i'm comming to that conclusion.....that the gear box was rebuilt. not the column....with the column it would be 180 degrees out. i've been working on this car for a while. i remember getting a rebuilt gear box quite a while ago......but i thought it was for my truck.........maybe it was for this car. this getting old stuff is not all it was cracked up to be. anyhow what i did was on the rag joint, i took my air grinder and releived the flat spot just a hair and got it to go on the way i need it. with all the splines i doubt that it would be a problem. sounds worst than it was. thanks for the responses...

Joe

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 06:02 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

If you got a Chinese repro rag-joint, the holes are drilled wrong which would force you to install the column 180 degrees off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech

There is a window in the steering column locking plate that allows the horn tower to rotate a slight amount. You might be able to clock the horn tower clockwise enough so that the steering wheel hub will install one or two serrations. One serration on the steering shaft should be 12 degrees (360/30 = 12). That might get you half way there. Then you should be able to adjust the tie rods to fully center the steering wheel.
Here is a link to a steering centering paper,
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...Rev18MY062.doc
Jim
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 07:49 AM
Tech Team
mike

after assembling the wheel to the mark on the shaft you will have to adjust your tie rods to center the wheel
remember what ever you do on one side do the opposite on the other side
mike
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
joe

rodder............no chinese joint....original gm.
jiml82.............yea...that would not even get me half way there, and still to far off to get the wheel straight with the tie rod adjustment.
mikey.............i'm just being anal i guess.....but the way i figure it is everything should work out with all the stuff centered. if i have to start compensating for the problem i think that's just going to be compounded in the end. the tie rod ends should be just to get the final toe in adjustment not to turn the wheel 20 degrees to get it straight. i'm really leaning on the theory that the gear box was assembled wrong. i've got it straight now with some minimal beveling of the flat spot on the rag joint.

Joe

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 09:00 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

This recent thread dealt with a similar issue. Might help, might not.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106660

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode