Front top control arm bushings - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 07, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Front top control arm bushings

Went for my 2nd shakedown cruise today. New powerstop xdrilled rotors, braided lines, calipers, Hotchkis bar & a 3rd gen box. After listening to Jim the man, the steering is now perf. Thanks Jim. It feels just like a late 80s Z. I have beaten up a few of them in my day.
Question, can the front top control arm bushings be unbolted and installed w/o a problem. Is anything pressed in or do I have to support anything before unbolting? I have ureathane but the outside ones are crushed. Thanks. Brian.

1969 original SS in family since 1971.350/330 crate w/ comp 270 roller cam,2004R,355 12 Bolt posi,P/S P/FTD Brakes P/W P/TOP Orig A/C car but removed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 04:19 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Front top control arm bushings

All control arm bushings are pressed in and cannot be removed/installed while in the car.

You won't need to disassemble much of the front suspension to remove the uppers. See 3-17 of your 1969 Chassis Service Manual.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Gooood thing i asked. Can I search this. I don't have the manual . Thanks Steve.

1969 original SS in family since 1971.350/330 crate w/ comp 270 roller cam,2004R,355 12 Bolt posi,P/S P/FTD Brakes P/W P/TOP Orig A/C car but removed.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I've not seen the manual on line.. I'd suggest buying one.. Heaps of good info in it.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

No prob, thanks Steve.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

No prob, thanks Steve.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 07:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Easiest would be to pop the upper joint (With suspension hanging, loosen do not remove the nut, rap the side of the spindle with a hammer, she should pop ) Then jack up the lower a-arm until the spring compresses a bit. Note the shims. Unbolt and remove the upper a-arm, then take it to a shop with a press and have them do the bushings. Maybe do the ball joints too if they loose. Reinstall and get an alignment.

Another note: SCANDC.com makes some cool and relatively cheap adjustable upper arms, check em out.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Hi Jim you're the man. Steering is great. This is perfect timing for a hammer job. We just finished painting and making the suspention look nice. 2 stupid questions. First, if i remember there is only the bolt on the motor compartment side of the control arm. Is the only bolt to hold the control arm. second, when I replace the bushings what will improve on the car? Are they for steering or just to hold the arm in place. Bear with me I am not the tech guy but i can usually tell how something gets done especially on a 69 Camaro. I am smart enough to know that I am not handy but my frend is. Any advice for a lamon is appricated. Thanks Jim. Brian

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 04:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

To save your paint, you might be able to borrow a balljoint press from autozone. They kinda look like a c-clamp. Do NOT use a pickle fork, it will trash the joints (unless you're planning to replace the joints anyway.)

The ball joint, and the 2 nuts in the engine compartment are all that holds them on.

Worth noting is that there are bushings on the lower joints, too, and they are MUCH more highly loaded than the uppers.

In an ideal world, the a-arms move up and down, never sideways. Cars with bad a-arm bushings might wander around at speed, or change directions when hitting a bump.

You can often "see" bad rubber burshings, you can also try prying on the a-arms with a large prybar, and see what moves. If you didn't replace the idler arm in the steering, look at the too. If you can pry it up and down, it's bad.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Great advice. I am pretty sure the lowers are good. The car drives good to me. I will notice if it jumps during a bump. The uppers just look crushed. I will try to get a picture this weekend. Where would I wedge the pry bar for the idler arm. Thanks for explaining Jim. Brian

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

I dont know how original you want to keep the car, but I put in black poly bushings instead of the original rubber ones. I've had the car a long time and it was on its second set of rubber bushings. From this site and from gear-heads around my area I decided to do it one last time and everyone says the poly's last forever.I used the loan-a-tool kit from autozone that Jim is talking about and it worked good.It sounds like you did some upgrades on the suspension...well I'm doing that too and the engineer in me, thinking about my upgrades, I gotta believe that they are putting stresses on the suspension components that they were never designed for, especially the bushings.So it gives me some piece of mind that I've got poly bushings and not rubber that I know are gonna wear and fail...probably quickly,just a thought and totally my opinion, only time...David Pozzi... or a whole lotta trig and calculus that I havent done since College can prove me right or wrong so use this info for what ever benefit it might be.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

I agree. Just diddnt want to have to take the whoe thing apart again.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old May 19th, 07, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

I was thinking"glad I didd'nt hurt myself" should I get a set of Heidts upper arms w/ the bushings & b joints in there already? Can I just do uppers? will it work & or look stupid w/o the lowers. Will it make a difference over the stock arms. If i just go w/ the bushings i have to buy the uppers & lowers which are still good. What should i do? Brian

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old May 19th, 07, 07:06 PM
Banned

Black "poly-graphite" jobbers here too!

pdq67

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

The rest of them are red. If I go this way it is a 1 day job.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode