69 camaro rear shock diffrence between mono or multi leaf - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

69 camaro rear shock diffrence between mono or multi leaf

Would like to know what is the diffrence between mono leaf shocks and multi leaf shocks? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech
bill

Re: 69 camaro rear shock diffrence between mono or multi leaf

in 67 they had mono springs which is straight shocks. in 68 they went to staggered mounts shocks for better traction or less wheel hop.also to multi leaf springs.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 06:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The main difference in the shock is the configuration of the lower mount.

The mono leaf spring plates "sandwich" the shock, metal on both sides, and the shock is attached with a through bolt.

Multi plates only have one much thicker ear, not a sandwich. The shocks hardware kit contains a kinda big stud thing, which passes thru the shock plate bracket and is nutted, and the other end passes thru the shock and is also nutted.

I'm not sure if the lower shock mounting grommet is different, I think the one for multi's will have a larger OD.
Some have said the shocks are different lengths, multi's slightly longer,I've never checked that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech

Jim is correct. Shocks for a multi are slightly longer, and have a larger ID rubber bushing to go over the mounting stud/bolt.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 08:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

does anyone have a picture of the multileaf shock set up?
I am concerned that the bilstein shocks I have for my 68 may not be for a monoleaf setup.

Rick
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 08:31 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Multi leaf shocks have a stud built into the bottom mount of the shock. Mono have a hole for a bolt... Well at least Koni's do...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

My camaro had mono leaf and was converted from mono to multi leaf but the bracket the shock connects to is from the mono leaf set up. The shocks connect off set and are bolted in between the bracket. For Future refranca should I keep using mono shocks or could I use multi leaf shock with this mono bracket? Would it be better to convert to a multi leaf bracket so I can use the correct lenth/bolt style shock for the multi leaf springs I am using on the car? thanks for the help
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 04:58 AM
Banned

Mono shocks bottom hole should be 3/8" dia if I remember right.. Multi stud hole more like 1/2" or 9/16".....

I had H-D, multi Monroes on my car and I just took a piece of tubing and notched it and shimmed the holes down years and years ago..

pdq67

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

were you able to use the emergency brake retainer bracket that the mono bracket has with the multi leaf springs?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 09:04 AM
David Pozzi

My shock and spring perch info:
http://www.pozziracing.com/rear_susp...r%20Shocks
You can convert a mono leaf shock to multi leaf by adding the stud to the lower shock eye, but you need a Multi-Leaf spring plate. Shock lengths are the same, but plates have different heights for the shock mount, mono leaf plates mount the shock lower because the mono spring is thinner.

One thing you can't do is add multi leafs then use the mono leaf lower plate. The plate is moved downward by the thicker spring pack and the shock is not long enough to reach. This is why people think mono leaf shocks are shorter. You can add a drag race screw on shock extender to the top of the shock to make the mono plate work. This is a pretty common fix.

Another problem is on 67 Camaros, the 68 plates won't fit.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

Last edited by davidpozzi; May 14th, 07 at 07:51 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

My car is using multi leaf springs with mono shocks and shock bracket plate. So this will need to be changed to multi leaf shock bracket to fik the problem, I have the monro rear multi leaf shocks that the guy that installed the multi leaf springs did not use he told me that the gabrial shocks were still good. Looks like he was full of it and could not get the multi shocks to work with the mono bracket? thanks Steve
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

Also when I change the shock plate should I mount & torque the new plate to the axel before the axel is under the car or leave it loose till the leaf springs are loose mounted to the front bracket and shackle than torque it all together? thanks Steve
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 04:51 PM
Banned

The '69 mono plates should be studded so are fine!!

It's only the '67's that give us a problem b/c their plates are mirror's of each other so we can't rotate one plate and use it on both sides!!! Like your hands if you look close...........

They are left and right so two plates are used whereas the '68/'69 rotate one plate due to the front and rear staggered shock locations..

Now, changing questions here!!

Don't tighten anything down UNTIL it is on the ground and you have bounced her up and down several times!!

pdq67

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

The mono plates that I have on my 69 are not studded they have the staggered shock mount but uses the metal bars that the shick base fits in between. Is thereaway to put a stud on this type? I was told that the mount area was to low due to the added leafs in the new springs? thanks Steve
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

Is there any mods that I need to do with the spring perch because the car originaly came with single leaf and now has multi leaf? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode