Caliper Bracket Rub On Wheel - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question Caliper Bracket Rub On Wheel

I just put disc brakes on my 69 that I have put together and had my drum spindles machined for disc (.610 machined from top boss). I'm using repop caliper brackets, splash shields bolts, and rotors. Using GM 69 calipers. It all went together well. The problem I am having is my wheels rub the caliper brackets just so slightly on both wheels. They are 14x7JJ steelies for the dog dish caps. They are for disc brakes because I have some 14x6 rallies for disc and they do the same thing. Could I have not have enough machined off the top boss or maybe to much?? How can I check it?? Can I grind a little off the edge of the bracket to clear? Anybody else ran into this?
Thanks,
Bryan

1969 Camaro
1964 Impala SS
1972 Nova
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Caliper Bracket Rub On Wheel

Yeah, it's common with 14" wheels. Time to break out the angle grinder.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 06:00 PM
Bill

Bryan,
I was under the impression that the 14' wheels will not fit with disc brakes, period. I just did the same swap on the front of my Chevelle and tried them just for grins and they definitely hit. I am going to 15" wheels anyway so its no big deal for me.

Personally, I would not even dream of grinding on any brake part. Especially a caliper bracket.

Just my opinion,

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
john

sure 14 inch wheels fit with disc.. almost all camaros came with 14's in 1969..you just have to have the correct rim......you said your rims say 14x6jj
well,all 14x6 say that.but this dont necessarilly mean they will fit disc.but... the code stamped near the valve stem will decifer a disc rim or not.

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 06:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

search in brakes for post by BPOS. His 69 came with disk brakes and 14" rallyes. He has posted the wheel code that fits. I understand the difference is very sublte.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Grinding 1/16" off the top of an aftermarket caliper bracket in a non-critical area won't hurt a thing.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

My wheels are coded K1 81 date code 4-29 UC stamped at the valve stem. Can anybody tell me if they are for disc brakes?

1969 Camaro
1964 Impala SS
1972 Nova
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

They also have 14x7JJ stamped on the part where the tire mounts.

1969 Camaro
1964 Impala SS
1972 Nova
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech

Even if you have the right wheel code, it might not clear unless you grind a little off the bracket.

The repop brackets stick out further than the OE brackets. I have pics of the differences. They also leave a large gap between the caliper and the bracket.

If I didn't learn it from my my mentors, I learned it as a result.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 07, 11:01 PM
David Pozzi

I found this on an earlier post as contributed by Vintage 68:

Chevy (GM) didn't make the rims - they were contract manufactured mainly by Kelsy-Hayes Corp. during the 60's and 70's and yes, they made lots of different rims those first years of discs that will only work with drums.
The codes for wheels that will fit with Disc barakes are way to many to list here and really most wheels off post 1970 cars will fit disc brake cars as discs became standard then. I have listed several of the codes from my pocket cheat-sheet that I look for when I come across swap meet wheels that may be of help to you in you search.
*14 x 6" = AE,XB,XE,XF,XG,YB
*14 x 7" = AO,YA,YJ,YW
Most of these codes come from 68-70 cars so at least you have a starting point. These are not just 'Rally' codes, some are plain type wheels that will work with discs.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode