Offset upper A-arm - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Offset upper A-arm

I'm starting to put the hotchkis TVS kit in this week just wondering how many who did this had to use the offset a-arm to make the car line up after this install.My car was pretty heavily "shimmed" befor I started and just eyeballing it lowering it 2" in the front seems like I could have some trouble...so how many had to do this'is there any way to tell if this is needed or not at this point,where did you get you offsets etc etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Re: Offset upper A-arm

repost
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 06:55 PM
Banned

You mean MOOG's offset upper A-arm shafts??

pdq67

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
You mean MOOG's offset upper A-arm shafts??

pdq67
Yes,doesnt have to be moog, but yeh,offset shafts
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 07, 08:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Depending on which way you install them, you either gain or lose some shim, not much tho. The upper a-arms should slant slightly up at ride ht, so lowering puts them at more of an up angle, which makes them shorter, which means you need less shims to get the right camber. If you had a big stack before, you should be ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Depending on which way you install them, you either gain or lose some shim, not much tho. The upper a-arms should slant slightly up at ride ht, so lowering puts them at more of an up angle, which makes them shorter, which means you need less shims to get the right camber. If you had a big stack before, you should be ok.
Jim I think your car is lowered from what I remember and I know you have experience with this so here is my concern...When I had the front clip off the car I noticed I had considerable top of tire in towards engine...not a front in guy so i dont know the term I guess this is negative camber? Any way top of tire in and alot of shims. Now if I got my head right,and I put in drop springs I'm gonna increase the amout of top tire in towards the engine...right... and if so I'm gonna run out of bolt length with shims before I ever get it right...is this correct?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 05:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If you were looking at camber with the suspension "up" ( as in car above ride height) forget you ever saw it. No basis in reality there. With the suspension against the bump stop on the upper a-arm, there will be SEVERAL degrees of negative camber, so much that when you try to drop the car, the suspensaion will "bind" and hold it up because the front tire contact patch is an inch outboard of where it should be.

To get any idea of where you're at camber wise, you need the car at full wieght, and then roll it back and forth at least 30 feet to settle the suspension.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 04:59 PM
Banned

MOOG's are right at a 1/4" offset and can be used both ways.

I have them on my car now to pull the top ball-joint in!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode