proper brake bleeding procedures - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
alex j

Send a message via MSN to scooterist50 Send a message via Yahoo to scooterist50
Arrow proper brake bleeding procedures

i have a 1989 rs camaro with stock brake setup. ive heard a few different things about bleeding the brakes. some expert out there please enlighten me because im having trouble with bleeding my fronts. they bleed but slowly and never seem to squirt much air out whatsoever i plan to do them asap because they are so spongy!!!!! ca has new calipers, brakes ,and brake hoses on both sides. please help me guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 05:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: proper brake bleeding procedures

lol... there's lots of different ways to bleed brakes, and they all pretty much work.

Best way is a pressure bleeder, it's a reservior full of brake fluid that you attach to the top of the master and pressurize with air. Expensive but works good.

The old floor the pedal, crack the bleeder, tighten the bleeder, release the pedal works good but needs 2 people.

Plain old gravity (open the bleeders and let it drip for a few days) can work well.

Suction (attach a vac pump with a catch can to the bleeder) also works well.

Part of what you're fighting is surface tension. The air bubbles stick to the metal walls inside the brake system, and the smaller the bubbles are the more they stick. Tapping on things can help them move around and join together into larger bubbles that will be more likely to travel out.

You mostly need to move a LOT of fluid... After my third quart, I started recycling the stuff from the mitivac can, probably moved 2 gallons of fluid through the system over a period of 2 weeks before I was happy with the pedal. This was an all-new 4 wheel disk system.

Regardless of what method you use, putting a length of clear hose on the bleeder will help you see what's going on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
alex j

Arrow Re: proper brake bleeding procedures

what are your suggestions on gravity bleeding???????????????

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
alex j

Exclamation Re: proper brake bleeding procedures

well i guess ive confirmed the prob-the mastrer cylinder is bad. when you hit the brakes it bubbles inside!! thats not even right. well ive replaced everything else so im looking forward to brand new brakes when driving lol-
any installation tips on the master cylinder
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 11:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

If you are going to replace the master cylinder make sure you bench bleed it first before installing on car. Most new master cyliders come with the intructions and plastic bleeder kit.

There are no problems only solutions

68 Camaro, RS/SS, ZZ502, Retrotek Fuel Injection, 4 Speed.

2010 RS/2SS Black, 6 speed trans
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
alex j

Angry Re: proper brake bleeding procedures

well i put it level and pumped fluid thru it i guess its bled. anyways got it on my car and brakes still feel spongy! what am i overlooking guys? ive got new calipers hoses and pads and now a new mc
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
Blaine

sometimes you just need to bleed, bleed and then bleed some more. sometimes it's just a big P.I.T.A. till you get all the air out.

Don't forget to post your results
it's good for the thread
My 67 RS/SS/396

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

jegs sell a a pressure bleeder kit for around $60.( motive brand)
The miti-vac hasnt worked well for me so this is what id recommend.
bleeding brakes is a big P.I.T.A. agreed....

'67' RS

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
alex j

well i got them pretty stiff now, but she still pulls to the right when you goto stop. strange huh? anyone ever encounter this and what could possibly be wrong?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I used the power bleeder and my 68 pulls to the left when I stop. Also know matter how hard I press I can not get the tires to lock up.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 03:18 PM
Tech Team
Rob

Nice Ride Jeff. Hey what are you and your wife doing in my car!!!! Just kiddn. Ive got a '67. Have same probelm with brakes. New SSB 4 disks. I think I have to bleed again - fourth time.

'67 Rag Top, 350, Th 350, Frame off resto to an SS clone
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
alex j

Talking Re: proper brake bleeding procedures

i bled those brakes like a hemophiliac and readjusted the rears. pulls just a teeny bit to the left when brakes are applied but overall they are awesome! my rear drum brake adjusters were rusted also i cleaned them with a wire brush and lightly greased them and readjusted them. so these drums are kinda gay how bad is it to do a disk brake conversion from a z28? i know i could find a z28 for parts
ohy yeah and some advice on bleeding-i used 4 of the tall cans of brake fluid and two small ones b4 i actually got them bled-had to have the old lady help-i had her pump the crap out of em only to find she couldnt hardly reach the pedal this whole time i guess. we then moved the seat up about a foot and it seemed to do the trick lol

Last edited by scooterist50; May 15th, 07 at 08:47 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
alex j

For the other GUY in this thread with swervey brakes. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

try replacing the wheel cylinders they are only 15 bucks and thats whats been making mine swerve- i replaced the following and it still pulled to the side when braking
-master cylinder
-calipers
-pads
-hoses
i basically redid all the front brakes and they worked great but car still pulled. i later discover one of my wheel cylinders was sticking in my rear wheels. Also it never hurts to check your drum adjusters-i found they like to rust and stick(use-anti sieze)-so its a good idea to inspect and/or clean with wire brush. or if its rusted stuck its usually out of adjustment
if you use reman parts you can redo ALL your brakes completely for 200 bucks
my camaro now stops like it did when it was new i imagine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode