Rear axle Brake Line Routing - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Rear axle Brake Line Routing

I bought all new brake lines and the fronts were a snap but making up the rears is giving me trouble. I need some examples to follow for making the correct bends and having a sano look.

I can make them work but it doesn't look good enough for my taste. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

AFR Heads W/ Jesel valve train

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS / SS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Rear axle Brake Line Routing

I am getting ready to do mine. I bought pre-bent lines and they came close but not close enough. Why do we buy the pre-bent? I am going to bend and cut my own lines to run along the axle and look professional.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

When I bought my Baer brakes I got a set of pre bent lines. I installed everything I found out that my assortment of brake lines (that fit killer by the way), did not include lines for the rear axle. I wound up buying a set of pre bent lines for the axles and was told they would take a little bending to work for my application.
This is where the problem lies. Most likely i will wind up cutting them and bending them to fit or buying a couple lengths of tube and fabricating my own. I just want to see how others routed their lines with new 4 wheel disc.

67 RS / SS

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 06:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Rich, What I did was buy straight sections of 3/16" SS lines from Right Stuff. I guestimated the length I needed, and had them put on a SS rock guard spring and fittings on both ends.

Then I bent them myself.

My Wilwood calipers are fixed, so I didn't need to allow for any flexing at the caliper. I've read that putting a loop in the line just inboard of the caliper would be all you'd need to do for a floating caliper. The only part of mine I'm not happy with is that I didn't have the petience to get an S bend into the tube so I could use the clamp between the u-bolts.

Here's a pic

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My Baer kit came with 10" braided flex lines that go from caliper to mounting clip. Hard lines take off from there.

Here is a pick from a LS2 build on CHP mag. I would have been ashamed to put this picture in the article.

Simply hideous.

67 RS / SS

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Oh Jim, you did a great job with your lines. First rate craftsmanship.

67 RS / SS

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 08:06 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Here's what I did, it isn't from a kit but does kind of follow where the stock would have been. The hose clamps are gone now by the way... On the 2nd page of that thread is another members work as well (Rayzor).

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ght=rear+discs

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I bent and flared my own hard lines. I welded the mounting clip to the axle inboard of the innermost U-bolt, and ran reasonably short lines. I didn't want a real tight loop in the flex line. If you wind up doing it this way, just make sure that the clip isn't right under the big rubber bump stop. 3/16 steel line is pretty easy to bend, but the guy at NAPA talked me into this new stuff they have. It's kind of an Army olive green color, and is designed to be bent by hand without kinking, although regular steel 3/16 line is pretty hard to kink.. It's pretty amazing stuff, I you can live with green brake lines. On a 68-69 with the staggered shocks, the passenger line needed a very tight bend to come back around to the back side of the axle and then line up with the factory line tabs. None of this probably makes any sense - I can post a picture tomorrow - I'm at work today.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm going to stop by Napa today and get some new tubing and bend my own. Going to check out that green stuff too. The OE brake line clips snapped off years ago and I need to get a few of those and weld them on too.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Rich

67 RS / SS

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

I "adapted" a set of new pre-bent stainless 12bolt drum brake lines to use with the Wilwood discs on my 9". They look pretty hideous.

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I stopped by Car-Quest on the way home and picked up two 60" pieces of brake line. broke out the brake line kit that's been sitting in my tool box unused for 2 years went to work. I put one piece aside for the actual brake line and used the other to practice my bends and flaring.

If I would have know how damn easy it was to bend and flare my own brake lines I would have done this two weeks ago.

I managed to bend, flare and install the one line that looked the worst, the other side gets done tonight.
I'll post some pics tomorrow. turned out great.

Rich

67 RS / SS

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 02:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Allen View Post
I stopped by Car-Quest on the way home and picked up two 60" pieces of brake line. broke out the brake line kit that's been sitting in my tool box unused for 2 years went to work. I put one piece aside for the actual brake line and used the other to practice my bends and flaring.

If I would have know how damn easy it was to bend and flare my own brake lines I would have done this two weeks ago.

I managed to bend, flare and install the one line that looked the worst, the other side gets done tonight.
I'll post some pics tomorrow. turned out great.

Rich
I know this post is a few months old but I was wondering how it came out! I need to replace my rear axle brake line because I'm adding some baer brakes for the rear and I'm trying to fugure out how hard it would be to bend my own line.

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 03:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

2 years later....how did it turn out??

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 06:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Maybe Rick doesn't come around here so much anymore?

Jim
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 09:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

what's what I'm thinking too, i'm hoping someone else can post some pics too!

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode