Intermitent Power Brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Intermitent Power Brakes

I have a 67 Camaro and it has a 350 in it. Well I installed Edelbrock cam #7102 which specs as follows: 234/244 @.050" .488/.510 @valve and 112* lobe seperation. My problem is that at idle or when backing up I only have one or two, if I'm lucky, power brake applications before it loses vacuum. If the engine is at any RPM other than idle it's fine. it's only when I'm idling or backing up. I'm sure it has to do with the cam, but is there anything I can do to help it? I have replaced the check valve on the booster, but nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 10:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Intermitent Power Brakes

You can try a canister reservoir (works for me) or some insist on a vacuum pump.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Thanks Rojo. How does the resivoir canister work? Does it store enough vacuum to work the brakes? how many applications will it be good for? You have the canister or the pump?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 11:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Vacuum line to reservoir then line from reservoir to booster. I can't honestly say how many applications you'd get at idle, I guess it would vary depending on cam, etc. It would obviously run out at some point unless you got above idle to replenish it. It has worked for me in normal driving conditions. A pump would be a 100% cure.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

How about hydroboost? Do you know anyone who has converted to hydroboost?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 11:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Forgot about that option. There's several here that have, maybe they'll chime in.

Robert

TC member #18
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
Hydroboost works great! I've had it on two cars, don't know how I ever got by without it.

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
I'm running Hydratech's hydroboost kit on my '68. Not cheap, but works great.

There's also someone on the forum here who put together his own hydroboost really cheap out of junkyard parts. Should show up in a search.

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Thanks guys. I think I am going to go with Hydroboost. It may be a little more, but it looks great under the hood.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Thanks guys. I think I am going to go with Hydroboost. It may be a little more, but it looks great under the hood.
Damn straight it does

AFR Heads W/ Jesel valve train

67 RS / SS

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Hey Rodder, I found a Hydratech Hydro-Boost unit from a company called Savitske. They are charging $690.00 for a complete kit, lines and fittings. I can also add a matching master cylinder for an additional $90.00. Does that sound like it's pretty reasonable? How much did you pay for your kit and did you have to buy a bunch of additional parts? How difficult was the kit to install? Was it a direct bolt on? If not, what type of hick-ups did you encouter? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech
Al

first of all - you need power steering to use hydroboost! (I suppse you could use a dedicated PS pump for the booster and still use manual steering - not positive, though)

The price Mark at SC&C has is $5 less than if you bought it directly from Hydratech. I would call Paul at Hydratech and talk to him. He knows his stuff. (That's not to say Mark doesn't - I've had several loooong conversations with him) If your current MC is in good shape, he might recommend that you keep it, and in the process not spend $90 needlessly - he recommended I keep mine.

The install is very straightforward. Basically, you eliminate your current high pressure PS hose. You run a new pressure line from the back of the pump to the hydroboost. You run another pressure line from the booster to the PS box. Both the booster and the steering box have low pressure return lines to the pump. Easiest is to "T" the booster return line into the PS return line, or ytou can install an additional return fitting on the PS pump. I used the "T" - that's what the kit comes with. All very high quality parts.

The hydroboost bolts to the firewall using the stock mount location. It uses the upper hole in the brake pedal. Pretty simple install. There is a chance you might have to reconfigure some of your hard brake lines. I didn't "have" to, but I did anyway.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Thanks BPOS. By the way, what made you say "first of all - you need power steering to use hydroboost!"? My car has power steering. I haven't purchased the kit yet, but I was on Hydratech's website and it actually comes out to be $5.10 more than the Savitske website. My M/C is brand new, but it is a little rusty. I may get a new one for that factor alone. I hope the hydroboost unit comes with a durable finish. I would hate to spend all that money and have it look like crap in a month or two.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 03:16 PM
Tech Team
Eric WIlliams

After trying a canister and then a pump I bit the bullet and had Paul hook me up. Boy,did it bring my 13 inch Baers to life! Both Paul and Mark are great (my UCA's are arriving on Wednesday from Mark at SC&C), so you can't go wrong either way.

I have had my hydraboost on for almost a year and it looks like it came out of the box. I wouldn't worry about the finish.

Good Luck!

Eric
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
By the way, what made you say "first of all - you need power steering to use hydroboost!"? .
'Cause a lot of folks do searches here for info, and not everyone realizes that hydroboost runs off the PS pump.

The boost unit is painted glossy black and is held together with very nice chrome socket head capscrews. The firewall mount is polished aluminum, and nitrogen reservoir is anodized in your choice of silver, blue or gold. I got silver. I'd say it's show quality stuff, while the rest of my car isn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode