Coil Spring Compressor Question - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Ron

Coil Spring Compressor Question

I'm in the process of changing out the front coil springs in my 68 Coupe.....I have the passenger side spring out already.....It wasn't too hard however the lower control arm hung up on the left side as I was lowering the floor jack and had to give it a little tap with the sledge hammer......It's a good thing I had that spring tied with a chain around the control arm because when I tapped it, the spring let loose with a little force then it dropped!.....I have one of those internal spring compressors and my question is will I be able to compress the spring enough to fit it between the spring seats with the control arm bolted to the frame?......It seems that the distance between the upper and lower seats is around 12 inches or so, with the control arm bolted up, and the free height of the spring is 16 inches.....I believe it would be alot easier if I can fully compress the spring between the seats and would make the control arm easier to bolt up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 11:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Coil Spring Compressor Question

I have an internal spring compressor and had to cut it to be able to use it, but it may still help.
An easier way I found is to sit the extended spring onto the lower control arm and into the seat in the spring housing, and use a floor jack to raise the arm until the ball joint and stub-axle meet and you can thread the nut on.
This is only possible on a complete car and not a relatively bare subframe which is not heavy enough (unless you chain it down like I once did!).

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech
Rex

I took a bar of all thread, cut a couple thick metal plates, one upper one lower, pulled out the shocks, put a chain around the spring, I then attached the all thread the the bottom plate and pulled it up through the upper control arm, installed upper plate, put a couple of nuts on the tip and began to tighten them to release the ball joint, then backed them off. put back together the same way. It took me a bout 3 minutes per side! Oh, yeah, you have to drill holes for the all thread in the plates and retain them with a nut

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.

Last edited by trex70; May 18th, 07 at 08:15 AM. Reason: misspelled word

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech
Rob

You should be able to compress the spring enough. Put the spring in a vice to compress it. It is a pain, but patience helps. When you relace the spring, make sure it is seated correctly in the upper pocket. Swing the lower control arm under it and hold it there with a floor jack. Then carefully take the tenson off the compressor. Fully unscrew the compressor bolt and work the jaws out of the shock hole in the lower arm. It is possible, but takes patence and time. Most of all - be safe
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynawolf View Post
You should be able to compress the spring enough. Put the spring in a vice to compress it. It is a pain, but patience helps. When you relace the spring, make sure it is seated correctly in the upper pocket. Swing the lower control arm under it and hold it there with a floor jack. Then carefully take the tenson off the compressor. Fully unscrew the compressor bolt and work the jaws out of the shock hole in the lower arm. It is possible, but takes patence and time. Most of all - be safe

Yes, this is the exact procedure I'm doing however I'm finding it a little difficult to correctly seat the spring in the upper pocket because it's hard to see up there!!.....And yes, the spring was a pain but I did compress it down on the vise.....Is there an easy way to determine whether the spring is seated properly such as making a reference point on the outside of the shock tower and the coil spring?......How did you do it?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech
Rob

Ron, I felt the upper pocket with my fingers to find the place where the edge of the coil is supposed to sit. It is sort of a depression that is obviously where the end of the spring fits. I then marked the outside of the pocket with a paint pen and market the spring about halfway with a paint pen. Then, I knew the spring was seated if the two marks were approximately lined up.

Another way to tell is to rotate the spring in the pocket. It kinda catches when it is seated correctly.

Also, if you get aftermarket lowering/performance springs, they go in easier because they are shorter before they compress.

Good luck
-Rob
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
joe

Send a message via AIM to zbo2

i did it like blackoutsteve did............only with just the engine on the subframe......i put a 4x4 up to the beam in my garage to hold the frame down..........worked like a charm.......no spring compressor needed. i've done several vehicles that way.

Joe

69 Z-28 Fathom Green />93 Z-28 Pace Car/>86 Corvette...Red
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 09:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Good stuff!
I wrapped a chain around my bare subframe (& heaps of rags) and slung it low enough to support the jack.
I found that the spring compressors just don't compress enough to fit the springs "text-book" style.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 07, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

The shop that did mine had me go to a spring service and get the springs compressed and banded. They band them from the second coil from the top to the second coil from the bottom. This allows you to set them in place according to the assembly manual then tighten everything up and cut the bands. It cost me 20 bucks. Saved a ton of labour at the shop as well. Also safety was an issue.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 07, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynawolf View Post
Ron, I felt the upper pocket with my fingers to find the place where the edge of the coil is supposed to sit. It is sort of a depression that is obviously where the end of the spring fits. I then marked the outside of the pocket with a paint pen and market the spring about halfway with a paint pen. Then, I knew the spring was seated if the two marks were approximately lined up.

Another way to tell is to rotate the spring in the pocket. It kinda catches when it is seated correctly.

Also, if you get aftermarket lowering/performance springs, they go in easier because they are shorter before they compress.

Good luck
-Rob

Rob.....My car was a project when purchased and the front end sat up way too high!!.....After removing the old springs, I discovered they weren't even the correct height springs for my application!.....They had a free height of 17 1/4 inches where the correct springs are a little over 16 inches and on top of that, they weren't even seated properly!!......I'm using stock OEM "Moog" springs, #6312......But yes, the reference marks are a must when installing springs.....I have the passenger side completed and it really helps when you have the spring fully compressed upon installation, the bolt holes on the control arm line right up easily!!......One thing I noticed though, the installed spring doesn't appear to be straight, it appears to be sort of arched or curved at the top, is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode