Are Rear Shocks That Easy?? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 19th, 07, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
alex j

Send a message via MSN to scooterist50 Send a message via Yahoo to scooterist50
Question Are Rear Shocks That Easy??

im replacing the rear springs and shocks on my camaro and was inspecting the parts while i had her jacked up-it seemed pretty simple is there any precautions i shoould take while replacing? is there any danger of car shifting or falling when i remove the shock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 07, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
john

Re: Are Rear Shocks That Easy??

no,

the shock dont support the weight of the vehicle.

springs do.......

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 07, 06:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

About the only thing you'll want to do is support the car under the axle when you change the shocks. That way the springs will be somewhat compressed and will be niether to high or too low to get the shocks back on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 07, 06:28 AM
Senior Tech

Are you also replacing your leaf springs? Your post says you're doing both springs and shocks.

Springs are trickier but still doable.

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 07, 08:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

In a nutshell, do support the body with good stands. With rear wheels off ground, jack up rear to get load off shocks, get them out of way. Keep some load on rear end as you loosen springs to see what is still loaded. Remove each side one at a time, using jack stands to support rear end. Only place I see you may have tight working spaces is the rear spring shackles , the tank is very close on the right rear. Do use new bushings. I used Energy Suspension but there are some better ones . Delum??

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 07, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
alex j

Send a message via MSN to scooterist50 Send a message via Yahoo to scooterist50
Arrow Re: Are Rear Shocks That Easy??

well its an 89 so i dont have leaf springs -coil spring replacement. i just wanted to know if it was safet to use a jack and pull em off and replace them one side at a time. what are some good affordable street shocks?
i will eventually get to the front struts & springs but im a little nervous about those-been told you have to replace alot of other worn things to AND get an alignment when your done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode