'Bout to blow my brains out.... - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

'Bout to blow my brains out....

I am in the process of replacing the control arm bushings in my car with poly bushings. If you can believe this there is not one shop in the Nashville area that does this that I can find. Even fishing for an answer by calling a good shop and open endedly asking "well do you know anybody who does..." no luck. I didnt let this slow me down,I have a ball joint press and between the components from that some good threaded rod,washers and bolts I can do it myself. The problem is I'm stuck as to what to use for a spacer between the two bushing "ears" for lack of a better word, so that I dont bend it or them in when pressing them in.Any suggestions would be great from anyone who has gone down this road. I thought about cutting some uni-strut to size was the only thing I could come up with.And before you ask, no rental company...autozone rent a tool...nobody has a press kit to do it...its such old technology and Mcpherson struts have taken over that half the people I talked to dont even know what I'm talking about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

Re: 'Bout to blow my brains out....

for the lower control arms i used a socket that wedged in between the 2 ears. for the uppers i cut a piece of pine to fit. clean any paint out of the bores and lube up the outer sleeves of the bushings and go to town. i've seen them bashed in with a hammer before.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech
john

i agree,
do it your self... use sockets vice etc..... its not hard.........

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech
chris

a 4x4 with a 2 inch holes drilled in each end does perfect for the space between each end. slide a socket, as the guys have said between the ears and press both at once.

67 RS
68 Under Full Resto
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 08:41 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

could you also use a piece of PVC pipe cut to length and then cut in half to fit around the bushing?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Any automotive machine shop should be willing to do it... I had mine done at a big Napa with a machine shop here in Atlanta.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
Any automotive machine shop should be willing to do it... I had mine done at a big Napa with a machine shop here in Atlanta.
I had every intention of having it done at a shop...and believe it or not,noone that I can find in the Nashville area does it anymore.I've lived here all my life and I know this area and alot of people and I was really suprised to learn this.How Nashville got in this predicament is a whole other story that I wont bore you with...but I had a feeling when I started this phase it was gonna be a problem and its no problem doing it myself...I was trying to think through the spacer problem and I appreciate all the input and welcome any other advice.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 06:43 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

I installed Global West Del A Lum bushings and they sent a pices of 1" or 1"1/2" angle cut to fit into the lower arm to keep the Ears from pressing together. I rented a ball joint press from Auto Zone and made that work to press in the lower bushings.

For the uppers, I used Moog offset cross shafts that have male threaded ends rather those tiny factory bolts. I installed the bushings by tightening the nuts on the ends of the shaft-that drew the bushings in on mine.

Good luck!

Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'51 Chevy 3/4ton
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

Call a buddy of mine, Chuck Hanson from the American Chevelle Enthusiast Society (& HotRod TV) between 7-11pm CST at: (615) 643-2237 (ACES) He is in Springfield Tennessee but that is only 30 miles from you and if there is anybody on the planet who can steer you in the right direction it would be Chuck. He is an awesome guy with resources beyond belief, and always glad to help a fellow hotrodder. Tell him Larry the wild man from California with the 72 Chevelle wagon he helped get front end parts after I crashed it from Dick @ True Connections told you he was DA MAN, and to give him a ring. (Tell him I said hello too if you would). If he can't help, at least it will verify that you really are screwed.... *wink*, just kidding...lol Let me know how things work out. Keep it WFO.....Larry

Sometimes it's better to let someone think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67pat View Post
I had every intention of having it done at a shop...and believe it or not,noone that I can find in the Nashville area does it anymore.I've lived here all my life and I know this area and alot of people and I was really suprised to learn this.How Nashville got in this predicament is a whole other story that I wont bore you with...but I had a feeling when I started this phase it was gonna be a problem and its no problem doing it myself...I was trying to think through the spacer problem and I appreciate all the input and welcome any other advice.
I lived in Bellevue 85-93 and Murfreesboro 94-96--what happened since then?

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Really not a huge issue to do them yourself. Just have to be a little creative/resourceful.

For the LCA inner bushings, I use bolts that are just a little shorter than the space needed, and then use a nut on the end of the bolt that can be turned to take up the slack.

On the UCA inners, I have a section of 1/2" (or 3/4", dont remember) black pipe that is cut to length, with plastic caps on both ends so not to scratch the paint. I have another cut to length for the LCAs.

For the ball joints, I took a ball joint with me, along with some measurements, and went to the plumbing section of the hardware store and found what I needed. Don't remember the dimensions off hand, but just a large coupler, ground a little to fit, and another to fit the other side.

Another tip: When replacing bearings, dont throw the races away. They can work very well for different applications in a press.

I have a plastic bin attached to my press with all different kinds of races, plumbing fittings (that were bought for specific uses/sizes), large washers, etc...

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
I lived in Bellevue 85-93 and Murfreesboro 94-96--what happened since then?
First off thanks to all who interjected advice...improvised,adapted and overcame...bushings are in...now to the fun part...reinstall.RODDER...if you lived in bellevue in 85-93 then you know that Grooms engines was about to take over the market in that respect and in the process most of the other small guys started farming out that work to Grooms...apparently the chemical dips to clean blocks and parts also became a permitting nightmare in Metro-Nashville from what I understand. But apparently the biggest thing has been a changing of the guard in the small shops themselves.By this I mean alot of older shops in the area were run by guys who retired without a son to take over or a son who was not interested...or do to the explosive growth in Nashville alot of shops were sitting on prime land that was bought out for a huge price by the XYZ corporation. Case in point: I worked at Garretts Auto service in Highschool,,it also had gas pumps...so I pumped gas,did oil changes and tune-ups etc but they did everything from this to major overhalls,had about 5 fulltime mechanics...good ones too! Needless to say I learned alot and developed alot of my interest in cars there. Well, Tommy Garrett,the owner was about 60 in 1988 his son Chris...who worked there but was never really interested in it joined the Navy,learned communication electronics,got out and got a job in that field. Garrets had been on Lebanon road in Donelson since the 1930's and was in a great location,you know the rest,got offered a bunch of money and sold out...A Chiropractors office sits there now.This is long-winded but this is what has happened all over Nashville. Grooms engines...which doesnt do open machine shop work anymore is exclusively an engine rebuild place and that has left a big void in the general machine shop market. I went to college at MTSU in the 'Boro and I think they have faired better,Mikes Speed shop is still around and a number of older shops are still kicking but I live 40 miles from there and hated to go that far and really not know if someone was still doing that. Bottom line is it's dead technology...everything is Mcpherson struts and stuff and you'd be suprised at how many people I talked to especially under 30 who had no idea of what I was talking about...sad...and makes me feel OLD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode