Will this settle? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daral

Will this settle?

What do you think? I just installed new eaton monoleaf springs and poly bushings. I think it is sitting a little high. I don't have the rear shackles tight yet. The gas tank and interior are out so the full weight is not on the springs yet. Should I go ahead and tighten the shackles or wait till I get more weight on the springs.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Re: Will this settle?

YIKES ! That looks awfully high.

What happens when you add 150 pounds or so to the back end?

Have someone of about that weight sit on the rear of the car and see how much it squats.

Doug
1969 SS350 'Tribute'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

P.S.

A gallon of Gasoline weighs aprox 6.5 pounds.

18 gallon tank full would be aprox 117/lbs plus the tank weight.

Doug
1969 SS350 'Tribute'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daral

Doug - If I (180 lbs) sit on the trunk, it drops about an inch (not as much as I would like). Addiing the gas tank and gas would not even be that much weight. It sounds like adding weight is not going to get me where I need to be. Any suggestions on getting it lower?

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 12:25 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

something doesn't look right to me... did you tighten the shackles with weight on them? put it back on the ground have someone sit in the trunk, loosen the shackle bolts, bounce it around and retighten everything.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daral

Steve: The shackle bolts are not tight yet. I put it on the ground, bounced the rear of the car up and down a dozen times and this is how she looks. I tightened the bolts on the spring perches at the front of the springs before I attached them to the car. The assembly manual says that is OK. Only the shackle bolts need to be tightened after the weight of the car is on them; is that right?

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daral View Post
Doug - If I (180 lbs) sit on the trunk, it drops about an inch (not as much as I would like). Addiing the gas tank and gas would not even be that much weight. It sounds like adding weight is not going to get me where I need to be. Any suggestions on getting it lower?
My suggestions were to see what it might end up like once you finished putting the tank (full of fuel) in.

If your 180lbs only moves it an inch i'd be really worried that you got the wrong springs.

Doug
1969 SS350 'Tribute'
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech
mark

Damn thats high, It looks like the rear is under the leafs. Throw some 2" blocks in there if your not happy after it settles.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 04:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Send those springs back, they ain't right.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Call Eaton

Stock '68 Camaro L48 M20 3:31 LeMans Blue Coupe, black deluxe int, console w/gauges
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daral

I purchased these Eaton springs through Rick's (At the time it was cheaper than getting them directly from Eaton). I have contacted Rick's about them and even sent them a picture. I will keep you posted on what I learn. I remember a number being stamped on the springs, but of course that is now covered by the rear mounting plates. All I want is to reproduce the original stance. I had to replace my original monos because the left spring was broken at the front perch.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daral

Here is what I have learned. Both Eaton and Rick's responded very promptly to my Email questions. The coupe mono leaf springs are Eaton ML001 and should have a free arch of 6.25 inches. Mike from Eaton says it is possible I have the Eaton ML002 springs for a convertible. Their free arch should be about 2 inches higher. That seems logical.

I will need to remove one of the springs tonight and measure the free arch to determine which one I have. If they are incorrect, Rick's is willing to swap for the correct ones. My fear is that they are the correct ML001 springs. If that is the case, then what do I do?

Rick's suggests that adding the gas tank and interior is much more than my 180 lbs sitting on the trunk and that the body height should look fine once that is done.

Does anyone have experience with adding new springs without the weight of the interior and gas tank? Should I expect to see a 2-3 inch drop when my restoration is done?

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 11:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I had the gas tank and entire interior out of my car before I swapped my springs. They were no where near as high as yours. Can you post a pic of the rearend where the springs are mounted?

1968 Camaro Coupe: Forged 383, AFR heads, Edelbrock Air-Gap intake, Holley 750 dp, Dynatech headers (557 HP/543 TQ), TKO-600, 12 Bolt 3.73, Vintage Air.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 07, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daral

Mikey: Here you go.

I pulled one of the springs off last night and measured it. The arch measured 6 5/8 inches. Mike at Eaton says it should be 6 1/4 inches. The spring also had ML001 stamped on it next to the centering knob. So these are the right springs for a 67 coupe. Rick's was very cooperative about replacing them. I have decided to wait until I get the car completely back together before seeing if I want to try a different set of springs. De-arching these springs is also a solution listed in a couple threads CamaroDave told me about (thanks Dave).

After putting the spring back on last night, my 18 year old son and I sat on the trunk and the ride height was almost where I want it. It moves quite a bit because the shackles are still not tight, so adding the weight of the interior, gas tank, gas, spare etc. may get it to the right height. I just have to remember to tighten those shackles before I drive it and at my rate of restoration that will be over a year from now.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode