Bolt in coil-over upgrades - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 08, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Bolt in coil-over upgrades

Tried a search, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Regarding changing from leaf spring to coil-overs....

1) Bolt in upgrades:
Rear:
Is there a 100% bolt in coil-over upgrade for the rear in a 68 camaro?
If not, what's the easiest setup to install?
Can you keep the rear end or does it require any replacement? I currently have a narrowed 12 bolt.

How about for the front? Does it only require new uppers, lowers & shocks?

2) Where do you get the best bang for the buck...doing the front or the rear?

3) Can you do the rear first...then the front at some point or will the car wind up being off balance and screw up handling?

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 08, 06:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Re: Bolt in coil-over upgrades

There are several 4 link setups available, you could even go with a air ride suspension. However with that being said I must ask; what is your plans for the car? Are you going to autocross, race, etc, or just want to upgrade your suspension? I ask because in all honesty unless you just have money to burn or seriously into doing some autocross activity your leafspring setup is more than fine.

As to bolt on kits, I would personally avoid them, I just believe these 4 link setups should be welded in, some may disagree with me though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 08, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

My car will be mainly street use. I may do the occasional track event (like sebring or other road coarses). I might even hit the local 1/8th mile track, but won't be serious when I do that.

The motor is going to be really strong, so I'm thinking that for future projects, I may want to 'update' the ride & handling. I haven't driven the car at all yet, so I'm not even committed to needing an upgrade. Just trying to outline some future projects to keep myself busy.

Other than the brakes & suspension, everything on the car is completely updated with all new/rebuilt components. Even the brakes & rotors are refurbished...just thinking I may want a more modern feel.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 08:27 AM
David Pozzi

If I were you, I'd get the car running with some good leafs, I like the ride/performance of the Hotchkis leafs, and on a race track or autocross, they work about as well as anything. The link suspension is probably improves street ride more than track performance due to the lower unsprung weight, but that's just my guess on it. Not based on personal comparison. If you want a bit better ride/performance, look at the Alston G bar, you can always upgrade later and sell the leaf springs. This is the system I'd like to try on one of our Camaros. I suspect we'd get a better ride quality and hopefully some small gains in handling. They have a new version that is more upscale coming out soon.
Look here: http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43102

All that said, we have been having loads of fun with rear leafs, and gotten around a race track better than some cars with link rear suspension. My wife drove at a Lotus club autocross and beat most of the Lotus cars there with her 73 Camaro, and it was a twisty course!
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

Last edited by davidpozzi; May 15th, 08 at 07:45 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Thanks for the advice. I'll do some more homework before just buying parts. I saw the G-Bar setup and it's big $$$

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 02:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Just gonna toss this out since you said you were going to some more research....

From everything I have read I would not look into fatman fab's wonder bar. I mention it because it is a bit cheaper than the other coil over kits and is also touted as being bolt on I believe. I was looking at doing their setup but found more than enuff negative info over on the pro touring sites.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 08, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Thanks for the heads up.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode