Different Multi Leaf Shock Plates? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Different Multi Leaf Shock Plates?

I did some searching on this one, but couldn't find an answer. I'm sure this has been brought up before, so I'm sorry if it's a repeat...

But, I need to get some multi leaf shock plates for my '68 to replace the home made traction bar/shock mounts. Looking on ebay, Classics, and Rick's, I see there are two different kinds of shock plates available.

Looking from the top, one appears to be a square with 4 holes, and the other one looks more like a rectangle with the four holes like the other, but has an extended section on it with 2 more holes?

I think I just need the square ones with the 4 holes, but just for curiosity sake if nothing else, what are the other two holes for on the other type of mount? A sway bar mount possibly? Thanks in advance, Brian

'68 RS Vert
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 07:31 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Different Multi Leaf Shock Plates?

To my knowledge there is a factory mono leaf plate and a factory multi leaf plate. The mono plate has a mount for the shock with two drilled tangs that the lower eye of the shock goes between and a bolt goes through to secure. The multi plate has an angled tab with a hole in it that a stud mounted in the lower eye of the shock goes through.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I understand the difference between the mono and the multi plates. I'm referring to the two different types of multi plates that are available. I can't figure out how to post the pics of them I saw on line here, but that would help I think.

In Rick's catalog p. 73 it shows the "square" kind and doesn't show any other options for multi. Other than a US made or imported option. Both are square I guess...

In the Classics catalog on p. 622 it shows a reproduction and a GM. The repro is HC232 (RH repro) and HC 233 (LHrepro) and is square. The GM is G7100 and shows the same part # for left or right. The photo of it looks more "rectangular" and has two extra holes a longer flat area.

I've seen this rectangular kind on ebay selling as NOS and they are the longer type.

I'm pretty sure I'm just getting the square ones, but would really like to know why the others (supposedly the GM) ones are different.

'68 RS Vert

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 08:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Just an educated guess here but the GM part in the Classic Ind catalog G7100 is most likely a newer release of the part by GM that was provided over the counter and made by a different company than the parts that came on the cars. It's a universal left or right fit and who knows what the extra material was for...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 10:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Man Brian, we have got to get together..LOL...we are doing a lot of the same work and we are located so close to each other.

I just went through this too. I ordered the ones from Ricks ss-145 and ss-144 I think.. I read a number of posts of people who had purchased the cheaper ones from Classic and Ricks carries them too, but anyway you want the ones that say Made in the USA, and are Laser cut. Seems the cheaper ones, the holes are more in the bend and aren't as accurate. The Made in the USA, Laser cut ones are really nice pieces.

I can show you one and bring it by if you like, but I am hoping to get them and my diff in the car this weekend.

Jon
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Okay, thanks for the info. I'm either getting the ones from Rick's or I'm going to try to score a good, used, OE set off ebay. They show up from time to time. I'm not in a huge hurry.

The main reason for the post is mainly just my curiosity in the difference... Brian

'68 RS Vert
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 03:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Brian ,

I have 2 different sets that are used GM that I was going to put on ebay. One set has the flat section for the shocks to mount too and the other set has 2 ears that the shock mounts between. I can take pictures and email them to you. PM me if interested.

Mike

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 04:00 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
I did some searching on this one, but couldn't find an answer. I'm sure this has been brought up before, so I'm sorry if it's a repeat...

But, I need to get some multi leaf shock plates for my '68 to replace the home made traction bar/shock mounts. Looking on ebay, Classics, and Rick's, I see there are two different kinds of shock plates available.

Looking from the top, one appears to be a square with 4 holes, and the other one looks more like a rectangle with the four holes like the other, but has an extended section on it with 2 more holes?

I think I just need the square ones with the 4 holes, but just for curiosity sake if nothing else, what are the other two holes for on the other type of mount? A sway bar mount possibly? Thanks in advance, Brian
The extended part with the extra holes sounds like shock mount plates for a Nova with a factory sway bar. 1st gen Camaro didn't have factory sway bars installed.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 09:39 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

I'm using Rick's SS-42 on my car. It's supposed to fit either side. It fits fine on the left side, but the angle for the shock mount is very wrong when used on the right side.
http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/DSCF3618.html

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 16th, 08, 11:58 AM
Tom

Brian:

My '67 Camaro had a 12 bolt with traction bars where the shocks were attached. I eliminated the traction bars, replaced the original 3-leaf springs with Global West 5-leaf which should not need any other traction device. Detroit Speed and Engineering make heavy duty shock plates for all first generation Camaro setups. I'm very happy with their plates.

Tom Sholl
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 16th, 08, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
T

I'm not exactly providing any USEFUL info, but here are the pics for those who are visually inclined:

Quote:
In Rick's catalog p. 73 it shows the "square" kind and doesn't show any other options for multi. Other than a US made or imported option. Both are square I guess...
Ricks SS144 (RH, US):

Ricks SS145 (LH, US):

Ricks SS42 (RH/LH Imported):

Quote:
In the Classics catalog on p. 622 it shows a reproduction and a GM. The repro is HC232 (RH repro) and HC 233 (LHrepro) and is square. The GM is G7100 and shows the same part # for left or right. The photo of it looks more "rectangular" and has two extra holes a longer flat area.
Classics G7100 (rectangle-like):
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 16th, 08, 08:14 PM
Banned

Smile Re: Different Multi Leaf Shock Plates?

Tom,

A '67 only came stock w/ mono's!!

No multi's at all unless it was a "one-off" race car and then, I flat don't know??? David P. may know??

I went from my '67's F-41 optioned about 137# mono's to '68 'Bird, multi's b/c I broke one.

And now I have my new JCW 3-leaf mono replacements that I added my old 2nd and 3rd leaf's from the 'Bird multi's to better balance out my now about 525 pound front cut-down MOOG 5536 coils so I figure that I'm now about 175 to maybe 200 pounds in the rear AND raised high enough so that I figure 295/50's will fit fine just like my old L-60/14's on 14" x 9" w/ 3.5 BS fit after I raised my rear up like 4" to 4.5" using coil-over, overload springs.

pdq67

PS., my old up on the shelf still mounted L-60/14's measure a modern 298/53-14!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode