Remanufactured 3rd Gen steering boxes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 15th, 08, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Remanufactured 3rd Gen steering boxes

While shopping for a 3rd gen steering box I have found that I have basically 2 choices from the popular parts suppliers. Cardone or AC Delco. The AC Delco box is a couple of bucks more than Cardone which makes me ask...Is there any difference in the quality of the rebuilt boxes marketed by Cardone verses AC Delco? I have read both good and bad things about Cardone, but not so much about ACDelco. Does anyone have experience with an AC Delco rebuild?

Thanks....Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 08, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Re: Remanufactured 3rd Gen steering boxes

???

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 08, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech

i don't think you're going to much of a response. how many people can say they've honestly had experiences with both and can compare them? i'm betting close to zero. i've done the swap on both cars and everything is fine with cardone boxes. just keep your receipt and if you're not happy, return it (even though it can be a collosal PITA!).

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I have yet to talk to anyone that has used an ACDelco box! Most guys say that they used the Cardone box, life is good....Amen.

But, there are lots of posts about problems varying from stripped hose threads, to wrong valving, wrong ratio, etc.

Over the weekend I stopped by two local chain part stores. Here are my findings, no bash intended....Neither had ACDelco boxes. The first place had two Cardone boxes in stock. The 1st one the kid brought out looked real ugly. Deep rust pits. It looked like the case had been cranked into a large vise and left deep gouges. It may have been dropped which dented the end cap. I'm not building a show quality car, but please! The 2nd box looked like the output shaft had been beaten with a hammer, probably to get the pitman off without a puller. The nut wouldn’t thread all the way on the shaft.

Next store, also two Cardone boxes in stock. The 1st looked like it came off a donor car then right into a box. Old grease around the seals, a drop of Brown fluid oozed out. The 2nd box counted about 3 ½ - 4 turns stop to stop. Wrong box??

SO, now at this point I have a bad feeling about Cardone boxes even though lots of guys have had good luck with them. Bad day I guess! I am at best a year away from making this car test-driveable. I doubt that any retailer would exchange a mechanical part a year later. I should probably wait to buy and install the box when the time comes. But it would be nice to have it painted, installed, and plumbed before I put the front end sheetmetal back on the car.

I am just trying to research the options available. I never expected to not hear any opionions about ACDelco Rebuilds!!

Jb

Last edited by Johnny B; May 20th, 08 at 09:18 AM. Reason: still cant spell...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech

When I had my shop I bought alot of Delco parts. Ive also used Cardone, Napa, etc...

Delco is/was always the better quality rebuild of any of them. I never bought a Camaro box but I did buy alot of Chevy truck boxes.

When I bought the 4th gen box for our Camaro I purchased a box from Napa. They had to pull 3 boxes before I got one that turned 2.5 turns lock to lock. (all others were 3.75)

Only issue Ive ever had with Cardone was I had one box (for a customer) that would turn by itself when you started the car. It had "power resist" when trying to turn the opposite.

Ive also bought kits and rebuilt or resealed them myself when I have the time or it was more profitable to do so. (once youve done a couple they are really easy)

Chris:cool2:

Pics of my 69 project found here. Not dialup freindly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech

I just decided to go with one rebuilt by Lares:

http://stores.ebay.com/Lares-Corpora...Q3amesstQQtZkm

A bit more expensive than a Cardone rebuild....but with Lares you know exactly what you are getting inside the box, you can use your stock P/S lines, and they supply you with a new rag joint. A bit more expensive than going the Cardone route.....but I thought it was worth the extra $ for piece of mind, and less hassle with a direct bolt in.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 04:14 PM
Banned

I want to say my rebuilt stock P/S gearbox was rebuilt by Durex.

pdq67

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
I want to say my rebuilt stock P/S gearbox was rebuilt by Durex.

pdq67
What or Who is Durex?

Jb

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 12:08 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
What or Who is Durex?
Probably none of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durex

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 07:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

I found a local guy who has 12 guys doing rack rebuilds but he is the only one who does the boxes. He was quite knowledgable and mine came back 110% better then it was!

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 05:14 PM
Banned

I really don't know? I think my box may still be out in the garage, I will look and get back..

pdq67

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech

we are still talking about fast ratio/heavy feel boxes (not just rebuilds), right?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccieng View Post
we are still talking about fast ratio/heavy feel boxes (not just rebuilds), right?
Originally I was looking for people that had experience with ACDelco rebuilds. What boxes ya got in mind??

Jb

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 09:01 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
While shopping for a 3rd gen steering box I have found that I have basically 2 choices from the popular parts suppliers. Cardone or AC Delco. The AC Delco box is a couple of bucks more than Cardone which makes me ask...Is there any difference in the quality of the rebuilt boxes marketed by Cardone verses AC Delco? I have read both good and bad things about Cardone, but not so much about ACDelco. Does anyone have experience with an AC Delco rebuild?

Thanks....Jb
Not to highjack the thread for a silly question, but what is the advantage of the 3rd gen steering box over the original first gen unit? Smaller? Better? Thanks

68 Camaro SS 396 Red on Red
current frame off resto, getting close
565 Dart BBC running on E-85
dyno video

And they say car nuts don't love the environment!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 11:06 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8ceredy View Post
Not to highjack the thread for a silly question, but what is the advantage of the 3rd gen steering box over the original first gen unit? Smaller? Better? Thanks
read the sticky at the top of the forum. quick answer: it's way fun to drive and looks stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode