Front Caliper's Sticking! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 08, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Front Caliper's Sticking!

I upgraded to front disc's about 1.5 years ago... I have driven the car to Montana, California, Canada etc. without any problems. Yesterday I go for a short cruise and I feel the car slowing down when I take my foot off the gas (more than regular) I swing the car into a local shop and they keep it overnight. I get a call today and they said that the front calipers are not retracting the way they should be, the pistons were hard to get pulled back apart, and that it's beyond their abilities to fix... I bought the kit off ebay and all parts were new in the manufacturers boxes. What should I look for first? What makes a caliper angry enough to not retract?lol Help me out folks! BTW, I just picked the car up and drove it home without any problems, but I don't want the front calipers to grab while om on the interstate doing 65 or something...
Dano

If you can't see the bright side of life, try polishing the dull side...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 08, 03:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Front Caliper's Sticking!

Well, soem basic troubleshooting first... is it the calipers or the hydraulics? Get em stuck again, then crack a front bleeder valve and see if there's pressure. Bleeder squirts, brake should be released, problem is master, booster, or pushrod length. Get em stuck again, and unbolt the master from the booster, if they unstuck, problem is booster or pushrod.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 08, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Thanks Jim. I called some Camaro friends and they asked me about the "button" under the rubber cap on the back side of the prop. valve. I never knew what it was for. Apparently, you're supposed to push that valve/button inward, then bleed the rear pass. side (keeping an eye that the button is in), then proceed with the drivers rear, then top off the fluid and proceed to the front bleeding... I just finished the rears, now gonna go out and do the fronts and take her for a spin...BTW, my partner in crime is at a friends wedding up there in Canuckville, so not much help today. He's slipping I tell ya (J/K Mark )
Dano

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 08, 07:23 PM
David Pozzi

The button is only for using a pressure bleeder on the system. A pressure bleeder can't exceed 40 psi, the valve prevents fluid flow to the front calipers below 50 psi or so. You push the button to hold the valve open. If you try and push it with any kind of line pressure it won't open without using some kind of tool.

Manual bleeding, - you don't need to fool with the valve, it doesn't do ANYTHING to the rear brakes, and with manual pressures, the front will bleed normally.

You may have moisture in your brake fluid, the calper pistons may have stuck from corrosion.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 08, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech

Thats what i was thinking stuck piston . I just got off the phone with Danno , he has it apart and checked and lubbed the slides . He is going to roadtest in the morning and see how it is . I think we might be changing front calipers if it keeps it up .
Mark.

pictures can be viewed at
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 08, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

After reading up on sticky calipers... I think it would be normal to see one side doing it, but both at the same time, out of the blue, seems odd. Stranger things have happened though... yesterday, I put the car on stands, spun the wheels by hand and both fronts seemed like the pads were rubbing pretty good. After bleeding yesterday and lubing the slides, I put the wheels back on and they spin more freely. In an hour or so, I'll go fire her up, go for a cruise and see what happens.
If I still get caliper grabbing issues, I'll crack the bleeder to the caliper that is sticking and see if I get movement from the piston. I won't rule out moisture in the fluid, but I have bled the entire system in the last year and went through the procedure yesterday (made sure there was a good stream coming, maybe 6-7 times per wheel, starting at pass, rear.) and had to fill each reservoir to top them off.
David, I see what you mean about the little rod/valve on the combo valve. It wouldn't have anything to do with the calipers grabbing at all, but good to learn just the same...
Dano
NOTE: I just took the Camaro out for a 20 mile cruise and it ran like a champ and NO sticking caliper issues. I think bleeding the brakes well, in combination with lubing the slides, did the trick.
Hopefully they work well for a while now.....

Last edited by MrDanB; May 18th, 08 at 08:56 AM. Reason: updating thread
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 08, 10:27 AM
David Pozzi

I didn't realize they were sliding calipers, so they must be stock type?
It is unusual to have both show the same problem. Any chance there was debris in the lines? maybe something was plugging them. The calipers must slide to retract, there is special synthetic lube for the pins. I've seen some caliper brackets grab the caliper too tight where the caliper rubs against the caliper abutments, the bent over "ears" of the caliper bracket, some calipers have excessive rust in that area.

I've also seen brand new brakes have not enough clearance on the outboard pad. The caliper can only move so far outboard and if the caliper bracket is not positioned exactly right, the pad can drag.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode