Manual to Power - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 19th, 08, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Manual to Power

Sorry for a first post on a topic I'm sure that's covered somewhere else, I did a search without much luck..I'm wanting to convert my manual 69 Z28 to power steering, I have the quick ratio box and pump, besides brackets and hoses what else am I looking at parts wise..also my new steering box did not come with the shaft and coupler, is the one off the manual box usable..thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 19th, 08, 05:49 PM
Banned

Re: Manual to Power

You will need a P/S rag-joint half.

And a P/S pitman arm too!

You need to check the length of your idler arm so you can match the pitman arm's length to it, short, about 5", medium, like 5.5" or so and long, almost 6" long.

And don't forget that the short bolt-on spindle steering arms and a long pitman arm can get twitchy at speed depending if your S/G/B ratio is down around 12 to 1 or more like the regular 14 to 15 to 1 ratio.

My quick ratio ordered manual steering w/ a long pitman and short arms allowed me to turn a 90 degree corner w/ one turn of my steering wheel, great at speed but was a pain trying to parallel park her w/ wider tires on reverse rims on the front!!

I'm power now b/c of it w/ the same ratio S/G/B, pitman arm and spindle arms.

pdq67

PS., fwiw, my S/G/B turned a-arm lock to lock in 3.5 turns.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 19th, 08, 07:05 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Look at the "Popular Thread List" sticky up above, covered in detail

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
You will need a P/S rag-joint half.

And a P/S pitman arm too!

You need to check the length of your idler arm so you can match the pitman arm's length to it, short, about 5", medium, like 5.5" or so and long, almost 6" long.

And don't forget that the short bolt-on spindle steering arms and a long pitman arm can get twitchy at speed depending if your S/G/B ratio is down around 12 to 1 or more like the regular 14 to 15 to 1 ratio.

My quick ratio ordered manual steering w/ a long pitman and short arms allowed me to turn a 90 degree corner w/ one turn of my steering wheel, great at speed but was a pain trying to parallel park her w/ wider tires on reverse rims on the front!!

I'm power now b/c of it w/ the same ratio S/G/B, pitman arm and spindle arms.

pdq67

PS., fwiw, my S/G/B turned a-arm lock to lock in 3.5 turns.
Got a question for you PDQ, You sound quite familiare with the subject, I dont mean to highjack but, I had a jane 67 instaled a fast ratio, rag, and pump. I used the Idler arm from a stock 67 w/power and the spindle arms from the manual steering the car came with. I dont know the sizes but it is twitchy at speeds. I have been tempted to intall a mid 80s valve and torsion bar into the gear box and use a rag from a mid 80s to stifin the steering, but It sounds like I may have more of a problem with spindle size. Am I understanding this right? Thanks
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
Look at the "Popular Thread List" sticky up above, covered in detail

I did...guess I'm blind...I didn't find it in detail....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 02:54 PM
Senior Tech
Timothy

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103139

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 04:09 PM
Banned

You MIGHT(??) get by w/ installing the long bolt-on spindle arms if they are the short ones now.

Please help him out guys b/c I haven't been inside a S/G/B before.

pdq67

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microgiant View Post
Many thanks, I seen the third gen. topic and didn't think it was the one I needed...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 05:19 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
You MIGHT(??) get by w/ installing the long bolt-on spindle arms if they are the short ones now.

Please help him out guys b/c I haven't been inside a S/G/B before.

pdq67
I guess what I need to know is , the spindle arms that connect the tie rod ends- are they the same for manual and power steering? Or are there different lenghts for each? Im useing the original manual spindle arms but changed the manual box to(fast ratio power), idler, pitman arm to power. I dont know of power steering spindle arms. Is there such a thing?
At speed mine is too quick and easy to steer. Thats why I thought to use the fast ratio box but install a new mid 80s valve and rag to give it that resistance prior to assist like the new cars. But if I have the wrong spindle arms I would like to look at that as an option.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 05:26 AM
Tech Team
Dave

if your manual box is good, I will be happy to take it off your hands?

2005 2500hd, duramax,crew cab, 4x4,
2012 GMC Terrain awd
1981 Bandit Trans Am(LS1)
2007 Z06 Corvette
2004 R1 (stock)
2005 Grizzly
2005 Z71 Suburban
1969 Camaro SS 496 stroker, 4sp ( in body shop)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 05:50 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarossrulz View Post
if your manual box is good, I will be happy to take it off your hands?
It is very good, trans too. But they are being saved for a retirement project , I plan to put it back to original 6 cld, Blue convertable top, even hub caps with poly tires.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue ss View Post
I guess what I need to know is , the spindle arms that connect the tie rod ends- are they the same for manual and power steering? Or are there different lenghts for each? Im useing the original manual spindle arms but changed the manual box to(fast ratio power), idler, pitman arm to power. I dont know of power steering spindle arms. Is there such a thing?
At speed mine is too quick and easy to steer. Thats why I thought to use the fast ratio box but install a new mid 80s valve and rag to give it that resistance prior to assist like the new cars. But if I have the wrong spindle arms I would like to look at that as an option.
Take a look in David Pozzi's site. This page in particular Steering arm lengths and part numbers He spells it out with pictures. There is a wealth of 1st gen suspension info there. (Thanks again David!!!)........Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
Take a look in David Pozzi's site. This page in particular Steering arm lengths and part numbers He spells it out with pictures. There is a wealth of 1st gen suspension info there. (Thanks again David!!!)........Jb
Thats what I need thanks very much! Nice write up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode