New Shocks - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

New Shocks

I need to get some new shocks. My Dad can't ever remember replacing them (Original Owner). I was just hoping to get some opinions, which ones you guys like/ don't like from your experience. The cars all original except for the new 15" Rally's and tires. I appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks
Bryan

Bryan, 68 Coupe ,250 Straight 6,
1 Family owned, British Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 10:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Re: New Shocks

KYB Gas-A-Just shocks here. IMO, good quality shock that won't break the bank. about $40 each.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech
Matthew

I installed the KYP-gas on my 68 and love the ride. Some say thay are too stiff but I like the new ride.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: New Shocks

KYB's are bad... IMO. I have removed a set with less than 500 miles on them. PM me if you want them at a good price. A high quality shock is a must for spirited driving. Try Koni's, Edelelbrock IAS, or Bilstein. I have Monroe's on my cruiser now. Remember you get what you pay for in Performance shocks.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 12:42 PM
Banned
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
KYB's are bad... IMO.

Pretty generic statement. My question is why bad?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

Thumbs up Re: New Shocks

This is why I asked. I read previous threads before posting and the opinions were all over the place. Just keep in mind I can do only so much "spirited driving" in an original straight six with drums all around and a powerglide.

By the way they are working on a first gen on speed right now on chop cut rebuild.

Any advice on the shhocks would be great. You guys on this site have helped me alot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 01:42 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

My KYBs were STIFF. Stiff in a BAD way. Kidney pounding. Not pleasant to drive the car at all.
Edelbrock IAS were good.
I now have Hotchkis springs with re-valved Bilsteins. They area great!

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech

for a stock ride, there's nothing wrong with monroe sensa-tracs. i've used the koni and bilstein and can recommend both, but they were on high rate springs.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 02:00 PM
Senior Tech

If the car is one owner, all original, and has the original spiral shocks on it, whatever you do don't throw them away!!! They can be rebuilt, and guys are paying ridiculous coin for restored spiral shocks, so I would hate to see you throw them away now.

For your driving, the Monroes that John recommended would be a nice aftermarket shock, and if you watch for one of their deals, can usually be had pretty reasonable.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 02:01 PM
Senior Tech

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,7556

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

I haven't thrown anything away. Right down to the Master Cylinder, water pump, bumper guards, hub caps and 14's etc. The only thing I don't have is the original drivers side mirror. My bros put some Laneco (Walmartesque in our area in 1992) mirrors on when he was 16. Radio is in Dad's attic somewhere.
I didn't realize the old shocks were such a comodity, not that I'd ever sell anything original anyway.

So, don't bother with the more expensive KYB, bilstein on my 6 is what your getting at?

I have Bilstein on my Ram and love them

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: New Shocks

OK, my KYB's are very stiff. I had Hotchkis lowering springs installed, and the front stayed sky high. I later figured out that my KYB shocks were holding the front up ! I installed monroes on it and the front immediately dropped the 2". I have also replaced the rear shocks to the monroe's, but I haven't driven it that way, yet.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

Eric
SouthEast, PA...I was born and bred in Easton, PA ad now live in Boyertown. Boy, this spring won't stop raining huh?

My Dad said he can't remember replacing the shocks. That doesn't mean he didn't 30+ years ago. It has OLD Monroes on it now.

I'm not into the lowered look for mine and I don't want it any higher for sure. Glad I asked beacause I was going to go with the KYB but it sounds like the Monroe is a nice stock shock.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 08, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
John

Here is another vote for Monroe Sensa-tracs. Reasonably priced, performs well on the street in a daily driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
whatever you do don't throw them away!!! They can be rebuilt, and guys are paying ridiculous coin for restored spiral shocks, so I would hate to see you throw them away now.
I get a big lump in my throat when I think about how many pairs of these shocks I have thrown away in favor of a set of Gabrial Hi-Jackers!! (I worked in a small performance shop way back when.).......Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old May 24th, 08, 04:22 AM
Senior Tech

I had gas shocks in my car when I first bought it. The front of the car was too stiff.
They sell the original oil filled spiral shock ( repop) It works great that is what im useing now. But unlike todays gas charged shock they fade, dips in the highway when its 90 degs outside the frt end will take a cycle or two before it settles out they are perfect for you in your siuation unless you plan on alot of high speed miles in very warm wheather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode