Upper Ball Joint Install - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 08, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
David

Question Upper Ball Joint Install

Hey everyone, I have been searching through the forum and wasn't able to find something.

I am installing the upper ball joints on a 68, the instructions say that the ball joint, rubber sleeve and thin metal cover should all be installed from the top.

I tried that and it won't fit, is it ok to install the rubber and thin metal cover from the bottom?

Also, I had to drill out the holes to fit the bolts that came with the new ball joint, will that cause any problems?

Thanks for everyone's time and help, this forum has been a great help and sorry if I am asking a question that has already been answered, but had no luck in the search
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 08, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Upper Ball Joint Install

yes, they should fit through the top. the original holes were for rivets, which are smaller in diameter than the typical replacement ball joint that requires a nut-and-bolt installation. you'll have to drill them out to make the bolts fit.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 08, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
David

Smile Re: Upper Ball Joint Install

John, how do I get the thin metal cover to fit through the main ball joint hole, it doesn't go! Do I need to widen out the big hole?I tried to press it in, but it started to really distort the thin metal piece.

Good to hear that no big deal with the bolts, after I drilled them out, they fit perfect!

Thanks for your help

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 08, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech

i've never had one that didn't fit (double check the part numbers), but i'm sure someone else will chime in...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 08, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

All the ones that Ive done that are seperate have the boot/sleeve installed from underneath, the ball joint from the top.

Some are one piece IIRC.

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 08, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech

what kind of ball joints are you using?
i used Moog when i did my Nova, and everything fit without any modifications at all. the grade 8 1/4" bolts that came with them fit right into the 1/4" holes in the upper arm with the boot and sleeve going on from the bottom side.
however, my cousin used some imported crap that came with a cheap kit on his 69 Camaro, and the holes in the upper arms all had to be drilled out for the slightly larger metric hardware, and the big big studs that go thru the spindle needed a washer under the metric nut to get the metric nut to tighten down. the lower bal joints didn't seem to have as much of an interference fit as they should, either.
the tie rods also didn't thread into the Hotchkis adjuster sleeves he wanted to use, but the stock tie rods fit fine.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 08, 08:55 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

The ball joint boot can be placed over the base once the ball joints are in place. I've done it.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Then: N/A, 436 ci, Stock Block, Track 1's, Stock Suspension, Ranchos, 3250 lbs... 1.33 60 ft / 9.69 @ 138 mph
Now: Boost...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode