Trouble with Trick springs - need help please! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 08, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Trouble with Trick springs - need help please!

I am having problems getting my front suspension set up right. I had Hotchkis 2" drop springs, and I really liked the stance of the car, but I have real bad traction problems. Part of the problem is that the weight wasn't transfering out of the hole. I thought that trick springs would help. I had no way of weighing the front end, so I guessed and bought Moroso #47195, which are good for 1730-1780 pound front ends. Now the front end sits 2" higher than it did with the Hotchkis springs. The Hotchkis springs did give me 5" of front end travel, but it took too much force to lift it the 5". The trick springs are only giving me 2 7/8" travel, and according to Calvert I need to have at least 5". I thought that maybe the front end was too light, but I was able to weigh it yesterday, and it weighs 1880#.

The car is a BB with aluminum heads and intake, fiberglass hood, heater box removed, and trunk mounted battery.

Any ideas on what is wrong? I need to get the front end to sit at least 2" lower, but I don't want to cut the springs because that won't help my lack of suspension travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 08, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Re: Trouble with Trick springs - need help please!

Well, cutting them would help your suspension travel because the car would sit lower which means that it will have more travel. The problem is cutting the springs increases their spring rate a little which sort of defeats the purpose of having those springs to begin with.

That said, I cut a little over half of a coil off mine so they sat in the perch correctly and the car sat where I wanted it. Can't say how much the front dropped with 5/8 of a coil removed but they fit the perch better and work well at the track.

I bet if you cut a whole coil off you would be in the ball park. The bad part is that installing and removing those springs is a PITA unless you have a good compressor.

The other option would be to get a lighter spring. I believe there are 4 different Trick Front springs that fit the 1st gen Camaro. I think I am using the one that is 2nd from the lightest they make.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 08, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
Garret

You bought the wrong springs. Send them back and get the 213 lb units for a SBC. I'm running them.

N/A 468, 275/60 drag radials

5.77 @ 117

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 08, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Coupe View Post
You bought the wrong springs. Send them back and get the 213 lb units for a SBC. I'm running them.
Do you have any idea what your front end weighs? Is everything still all steel? That is what I was thinking of doing, but I was afraid they may be too light.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 08, 10:22 AM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

What tires are you running?? Im running the Hotchkis 2" drop springs on mine and so far seems to work good. When I had the BFG dr's it would not hook up...switched to MT Dr's.
Problem solved! I am running cheap 90/10's up front when I go to the track.

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 08, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
Garret

1950 lb on the front and using 213 lb springs with 3/4 coil cut off.

5.77 @ 117
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 08, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D9 View Post
What tires are you running?? Im running the Hotchkis 2" drop springs on mine and so far seems to work good. When I had the BFG dr's it would not hook up...switched to MT Dr's.
Problem solved! I am running cheap 90/10's up front when I go to the track.
I had the M/T DR's last summer. I just switched to the Hoosier DR, but they have only been to the track once. I can't really compare the two because I made several other changes at the same time. I don't run competitively, I just play at T-n-T. The best pass last year on the M/T's was 10.55 with the tires still spinning for about 20'.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 08, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Coupe View Post
1950 lb on the front and using 213 lb springs with 3/4 coil cut off.
WOW! Do you drive on the street at all? Does it ever bottom out? My car is 50/50 street/strip. Don't get me wrong, it only sees about 200 street miles a year, but I still don't want it to bottom out all of the time.

I talked to Moroso earlier today and when I described how the suspension reacts, they said that everything sounds right, I just need to cut the springs. They feel that cutting 1 complete coil out will drop the front 3" and give me 6" of travel. I think I will try this first because it won't cost anything to try. Plan B will be the lighter springs.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 08, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

40Coupe, you have the exact launch I am hoping for. What do you have for your rear suspension? What are your gears? I am having problems sticking the tires with 3:55's, so I am afraid to go for more gear, even though I know I really need it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 08, 08:19 PM
Senior Tech
Garret

I'm running Calvert 200 lb/in split-mono's, Caltracs, AFCO double adjustable shocks and Hoosier 30 x 9 radial slicks. I have however run a 275/60 Hoosier drag radial which actually 60 foots a little quicker. Gear ratio is 4.56 now but was 4.33 last year.

Your front suspension plays an equally important role in quick 60 foots. Get yourself some 213 lb springs, Del-a-lum bushings, and a quality drag shock up front. Get the car low and make sure you have a min. of 5" of travel as measured from the spindle to the fender lip.

I've picked up over a tenth in 60 foot simply working the suspension and I'm not done yet.

5.77 @ 117
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 08, 09:22 PM
Senior Tech

47140 is the moroso number for the 213 pound. I had them in a 69 camaro, cast block bbc aluminum head, aluminum radiator,aluminum water pump,glass hood, battery in back. car sat nice plenty of travel. Get the delalum bushings cut your upper a amr stop about 1./2 to 3/4 inch.Koni drag race front shocks but id buy the calvert front shocks now, rancho 9000 rears. 3500 lbs My car 60 footed 142 / 135 best 970 137 mph all day long no nitrous. same front springs for 10 years still going strong. Calvert bars/landrum springs 29.5x10.5 mt slicks 4.11 rear
I am putting same springs in another 69 camaro i am building now.
Also make sure there seated properly in upper spring paocket. I have had issues with the length of trick springs installing them. sometimes they get hung up in spring pocket, jaming the coils and changing the rate, makes car sit VERY high till corrected.
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode