Problems with Inner Bearing fitting on spindles - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 28th, 08, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Problems with Inner Bearing fitting on spindles

I am having trouble getting my new bearings fitting on my new spindles.

This kit is going on a 67 camaro convertible.
The spindle is an original part made by MBM.
MBM Part # -- 3966151 GM Stock Height Spindles
GM A, F, & X Body 1964-74 Stock Height Chevelle 64-72, Nova 68-74, Camaro 67-72; Exact Copy of Original
The bearings are "set 6" specified for this year spindle.

I measured the spinndles and they are 1.251" to 1.255" in diameter depending on where you measure. I think they are slightly out of round as well. The bearings are spec'd at 1.25" but they measure 1.248" This is not ideal for a "slip fit".

I tried polishing them with coarse emory cloth but I'm not getting anywhere. Should I return them or keep polishing?

Warning Vendor Bashing -----
Ebay's GoneFishing69 - Bought the spindles from him and he won't respond after 4 e-mails. I have a feeling ebay's new feedback policy is going to catch up with him fast.

MBM - Made the spindles but "has not technical staff" and can't answer a simple question about their minimal product line. I was also informed that they prefer not to deal with end consumer. They can't tell me what bearings fit on their spindles... ridiculous.

Ebay's Matt's Classic Bowties - Failed to tell me that my 15" rally wheels won't work with 2" drop spindles when I specifically asked Matt. After he assured me that there would be no fit issues I drove 1.5 hours to have my friend help install the drop spindle kit only to have the car towed home. This caused me hours of extra work and hundreds of dollars re-buying the correct parts to keep my rally's. Matt's Classic Bowties won't acknowledge on iota of responsiblity for my troubles.
Thanks Matt... top notch.

Sorry had to vent because I've been dealing with this for 7 months now and my car is still in the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 28th, 08, 09:36 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Problems with Inner Bearing fitting on spindles

This is a drop spindle?

What caused the wheels to not fit? Any advice for our members?
My factory spindle measures 1.247" to 1.2475".
A 1.248" bearing bore would be perfect. Your spindle is too fat!
You should probably take them to a machinest and grind them to the proper size. check the outer bearing too.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode