Aligning the front end - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 08, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to IDS_Bill
Aligning the front end

I am close to getting this thing driveable but have not aligned it yet. I read the specs but is this something that can be done in the garage or should I take it somewhere? I am wondering what kind of place can still align cars like ours...?

67 Yenko Tribute - 427/4SPD/Bolero Red
2010 2SS/RS Camaro - Victory Red with White Rally Stripes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 08, 11:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Aligning the front end

I think you can get it close in your garage if you want to bad enough but it really needs to be set on a machine. If you have replaced a bunch of parts and want it close so you can test drive it set the tires plumb with a carpenters level and then set the toe with a tape measure. Set toe by measuring the difference between the width in back of the tire and the front. Caster ,camber toe have not changed in 40 years so any shop should be able to set it.

Jeff
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 08, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

As Jeff said and they can only set it to the factory specs, that's what I was told when I had mine done.

1969 Z28

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 08, 12:00 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Call around and find a shop willing (and able) to do a custom alignment.
I found a place locally that does work at a discount for SCCA members.
They turned out to have really nice equipment and good know how.

I used some specs recommended by speedtech and david pozzi. If you don't have the guldstrand mod you won't get as much caster. Tell the shop to give you as much as they can assuming you have powersteering.

Don't use the FACTORY specs. They were designed for these cars before radial tires.

http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen...nt%20specs

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 08, 05:49 AM
Senior Tech

I understand the extra pos caster thing but, I ended up with squeel from tires on high speed ramps. I will probably change to a LiL less caster 3* just too much for me. Nice goin strait tho.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 09:35 AM
Guess

My turn for an alignment....

Couple questions which have me confused (which is nothing new).....
My setup is stock A-arms\spindles\ball joints with power disc brakes and the Guldstrand mod performed on upper A-arm mount, Hotchkis lowering springs front\rear, all poly bushings, 1" sway bar.

Looking at Davids (Pozzi) site for the recommended specs and reading here, I'm not sure which specs to give the alignment shop. Do I go with the Guldstrand specs for a 'touring car' of:
* Caster: 3 - 4 degrees positive (+) PS = more, manual steer less.
* Camber: 1/4 to 1/2 degrees negative (-)
* With upper a-arm relocation Camber: 0 degrees
* Toe-in: 0 - 1/8 inch

Or the Herb Adams specs for 'the street':
* 1 degree positive caster ( I would use 3.5 degrees if PS)
* 1 degree negative camber.
* 1/16" toe in

Regardless of how I'm going to drive the car, which specs are best for all around spirited driving without sacrificing tire wear life? I didn't put this together to be a grocery-getter... know what I mean?

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 10:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

When I had stock control arms on my 69, I went with negative .5 camber, as much caster as could be set (which wound up around 3 1/2 positive) and 1/16 toe-in. No abnormal wear in 10 years.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 10:07 AM
Guess

That was with PS, right Rick?

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 03:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve A.

Send a message via AIM to flat350

I do mine in the home garage with a Fastrax gauge(about $150 from Summit,and shims from D+R),had it checked by a shop after the first time I did it and it was right on according to their machine,so I trust it now.Doing it myself I can set it anyway I want to and experiment with it,doesn't take that long to do once you get used to the Fastrax unit,it does camber,caster and toe with with a few straight edges and a tape measure.I have it set now with 1/2 deg neg. camber,3 1/2 pos. caster right side,3 pos. caster left side,1/8 toe in,seems to drive good at these settings,but I can get more pos. caster out of it still.

Steve

68 work in progress , but I can drive it now - O5D build - 712 trim - 02 color
Think it was a 396 , 4 spd. - now in primer , 350 , 4 spd. , lots of new body and mech. parts
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 10, 03:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

PS - yes. I also use a Fastrax. On my current 68, I have GW uppers and have -.5 camber, 6 degrees positive caster, 1/16" toe-in. Manual steering (for now)!

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 10, 05:09 AM
Guess

My hot rod alignment shop charges $69. While it'd be nice to have my own alignment gauge to make changes on the fly, that's a luxury for me.
Maybe I can make my own.... a buddy and I were talking last night about fabbing one ourselves that we could share. I think there's a thread or two here about it.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 10, 07:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

You can set your own caster and camber with an iphone app called "Clinometer" and some backyard engineering if you want to experiment with it. What can it hurt if you are starting out of alignment anyway? Check this link.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=325556

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 10, 01:38 PM
Guess

Cool, thanks.
Now I just gotta find someone with an iPhone.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 10, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Where in New York are you?

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 10, 05:17 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat350 View Post
I do mine in the home garage with a Fastrax gauge(about $150 from Summit,and shims from D+R),had it checked by a shop after the first time I did it and it was right on according to their machine,so I trust it now.Doing it myself I can set it anyway I want to and experiment with it,doesn't take that long to do once you get used to the Fastrax unit,it does camber,caster and toe with with a few straight edges and a tape measure.I have it set now with 1/2 deg neg. camber,3 1/2 pos. caster right side,3 pos. caster left side,1/8 toe in,seems to drive good at these settings,but I can get more pos. caster out of it still.
Why different caster ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode