4-piston rotors, where to buy??? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 08, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Unhappy 4-piston rotors, where to buy???

My 67 vert has drum brakes. I need to upgrade to disk. I have a set of front original 4 piston calipers i sent out and had redone a few years ago, they still look brand new. I also have used caliper mounting brackets and backing plates, they dont look new but are in nice condition. Money is tight right now and I need to do this as cheap as possible right now!

I was going to modify my drum brake spindles to accept disk while still on the car. I dont want to get into changing ball joints etc. till winter. I know how much to machine off and feel like I can do this on the car.

My biggest decision ( I feel) at the moment is the rotors. The 67/68 four piston setup has a different rotor than the single piston 69 setup. The center hub area is smaller to clear the 4 piston caliper. Ricks has them for 110. ea I just cant spend 210. and shipping for the rotors right now. The 69 rotors are available at the local parts store for about half the money. The local parts store actually lists the rotors for 67/8 and 9 with all the same part number, this makes me a little nervous also.

I had thought of just buying one of the single piston conversion kits but dont really have the money for that either.

Is there anywhere else to buy the replacement rotor for the 67/8 4 piston setup other than ricks? Any suggestions on anything here?

I have a 11 month old son that will be riding in this car and I need good brakes. My factory front drums are not going to cut it! Thanks!

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 08, 09:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: 4-piston rotors, where to buy???

I'll vouch for the fact that the 68 rotors fit a 69 cuz I did it. I have a set of two piece rotors from a 68 on my car now I think. Never thought about the four piston requiring more room.

Jeff
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 08, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackl78 View Post
My 67 vert has drum brakes. I need to upgrade to disk. I have a set of front original 4 piston calipers i sent out and had redone a few years ago, they still look brand new. I also have used caliper mounting brackets and backing plates, they dont look new but are in nice condition. Money is tight right now and I need to do this as cheap as possible right now!

I was going to modify my drum brake spindles to accept disk while still on the car. I dont want to get into changing ball joints etc. till winter. I know how much to machine off and feel like I can do this on the car.

My biggest decision ( I feel) at the moment is the rotors. The 67/68 four piston setup has a different rotor than the single piston 69 setup. The center hub area is smaller to clear the 4 piston caliper. Ricks has them for 110. ea I just cant spend 210. and shipping for the rotors right now. The 69 rotors are available at the local parts store for about half the money. The local parts store actually lists the rotors for 67/8 and 9 with all the same part number, this makes me a little nervous also.

I had thought of just buying one of the single piston conversion kits but dont really have the money for that either.

Is there anywhere else to buy the replacement rotor for the 67/8 4 piston setup other than ricks? Any suggestions on anything here?

I have a 11 month old son that will be riding in this car and I need good brakes. My factory front drums are not going to cut it! Thanks!
If you're trying to save money factory style 4 pistons are not the way to do it. Sell them on ebay and buy single pistons. A new set of shoes, drum turn and new brake cylinders on your drum setup should get you through until winter when you're ready to tackle the whole thing.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 08, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
I'll vouch for the fact that the 68 rotors fit a 69 cuz I did it. I have a set of two piece rotors from a 68 on my car now I think. Never thought about the four piston requiring more room.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Im sure your right on that, its the other way that wont work that I have been told. ( on the replacement rotors) Im not looking for the 2 piece style, just the replacement style.

I wish I could just figure out where else to get the rotors ricks sell, they cant be the only ones to have them I would think?

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 08, 11:18 AM
David Pozzi

See if the local parts store will order in the rotors so you can look them over. They should work on your calipers.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 08, 03:45 PM
Banned

I saved this for like now and I hope it helps?

"From 7DL78 – Rotors that fit 2-piece rotor brakes. I just got two from the local American Auto Parts here in town, part # RAY/SB5100 , $67.70 for the pair. I told the parts person that I bet they would not fit my 68 four piston set up and lost the bet."

pdq67

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 08, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
I saved this for like now and I hope it helps?

"From 7DL78 Rotors that fit 2-piece rotor brakes. I just got two from the local American Auto Parts here in town, part # RAY/SB5100 , $67.70 for the pair. I told the parts person that I bet they would not fit my 68 four piston set up and lost the bet."

pdq67
Thanks a ton I will have to check this out. 20000+ posts?? Wow thats incredible! Thanks again!!!

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 08, 10:32 PM
David Pozzi

I think Paul has the record!

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 08, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
I think Paul has the record!
JimM is drafting him:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/member...rt=posts&pp=30

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode