Is it common for disc brakes to be unbalanced? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 08, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dean

Is it common for disc brakes to be unbalanced?

I'm down to checking my rear Baer 12" discs for being unbalanced. Just wondering how common this is or if anyone has had to have them balanced?

Dean

'69 355-3.73 Moser-Truetrac-TKO-600-Hotchkis-DSE-QA1 coilovers-Baer brakes-17"Budnik's-Speedtech control arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 08, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Is it common for disc brakes to be unbalanced?

Rotors should be, but not always, balanced out of the box. Most machine shops can do this function.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 08, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech
John

I would think matching brake rotors would weigh the same. All rotors (execpt for the $3,000 ceramic ones) are cast into a mold. They should all be balanced, or even. If it was a bad cast, causing one part of it to be too light, it would be very evident (missing metal).

I'm guessing your getting a vibration, and your trying to track it down?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 08, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

I'm working on a C-3 vette and I guess it was not too uncommon for the rotors/hubs to be un-true so there is a process to check it while installed on car which I'm about to do since in process of installing new rotors and bearings. In this case you tq. bearing down to 15ft. lbs. to fully compress it to eliminate play. Then you use dial indicator planted firmly on frame or some solid surface next to rotor. Then spin rotor and and you want to be less than .005 total runout. I realize it's for a vette but may help you determine if you're within acceptable standards side-to-side.

Don't forget to reset the bearing tq. afterwords.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 08, 06:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

i have seen a lot of rotors thet were untrue out of the box. i, myself will cut a rotor if it is brand new. (especially NAPA ones) but that is not unbalanced, just untrue.

Don't stop now!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 camaro driver
383 10:1
Horsepower:
515 @ 5,500 rpm
Torque:
499 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 08, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech
John

Is it a balance your checking for? Or, is it a flatness (rotates true)?

I have seen good flat rotors go bad by having lug nuts not torqued down well. If you have one or two lugs overly tight, it can cause warping when installed. This would give you a pulsing sensation when braking, as opposed to a vibration when driving down the road.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 08, 11:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

What he said - are we talking about weight/balance (like a wheel assembly) or if the surface is uneven/needs resurafcing.

I've never had a rotor balanced - I have resurfaced plenty. Every brake job, in fact, even off the shelf ones need it from time to time, esp cheap ones.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 08, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dean

I'm fighting vibes from the rear end mph related. I've had a d/s built and balanced 3 times, new Moser rear end, new TKO etc...
I have had the wheels off the car up on stands running up to speed clutch in, neutrtal, in gear dosen't matter the vibes are still there, the rotors run true I was just wondering if the rotors themselves could be unbalanced.
Yes I have tried multiple pinion/trans angles as well, I'm just reaching at this point.

Only thing left is to have a GOOD driveshaft shop like Denny's build me one (balanced to more than 500rpm ) since the new rear came with a 1350 yoke, I'm running a 1310 right now and would need it shortened anyway.

Guess I'll have to take it easy to Carlisle again, the banner must be there!

Dean

'69 355-3.73 Moser-Truetrac-TKO-600-Hotchkis-DSE-QA1 coilovers-Baer brakes-17"Budnik's-Speedtech control arms
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 08, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
John

With all the rotating stuff checked and rechecked, I'd be inclined to look at the drive shaft too. I faught that one for quite a while as well, and it did end up being the drive shaft.

I'll throw this out too. If I remember right, the drive shaft needs to be balanced, but also, the drive shaft must be built right. I think it had to do with the yoke positions on the drive shaft. They need to be 90 degrees to each other, not inline with each other. I'm talking about the mounting yokes on each end of the drive shaft. If they are parallel with each other, they bulid up some harmonics when rotating, causing the vibration. I remember Hot Rod doing an article on this, maybe check their site. Also, for normal use, I think the pinion centerline and the trans centerline need to be parallel as well. For race cars, I think you have the pinion pointing down a few degrees from the trans centerline, there-by using the rotational torque of the rear end to line up the centerlines on hard acceleration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode