bad discovery-Lower control arm problem on drivers side - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 08, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

bad discovery-Lower control arm problem on drivers side

I just took off the drivers side LCA and discovered someone has used a large over sized bolt through the bushing. It looks like it was a quick fix when it was done. I need help on this one

This shows the over sized hole and a smaller hole is just underneath it on the cross member. I have more close ups if needed.

The bolt broke when I was wrenching it off with a 15/16" socket.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)

Last edited by johnny67; Jun 19th, 08 at 12:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 08, 12:12 AM
Senior Tech
Ray P.

Re: bad discovery-Lower control arm problem on drivers side

I had a problem on my Chevelle where the bolt was loose or something and wallowed the holes in the frame out. I fixed it using plate (don't remember if 1/8" or 3/16"). I cut the plate bigger than the hole and drilled a new hole for the bolts and welded it to the frame. I did my best to center the new hole with the existing hole and it worked out fine.

Does it look like that area cracked/broke at one time and someone tried to quick fix it?

Ray
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 08, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

thanks Ray,
Your solution makes sense. So I would weld a piece on the outside of the frame so it does not interfere with the control arm I guess. What are the chances of saving the LCA?

here is a pic with the proper bolt in the shaft, I wonder what kind of bushing they used?

I hope this is a good enough pic to see what I am dealing with.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)

Last edited by johnny67; Jun 19th, 08 at 11:23 PM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Grind the bottom picture flat because this surface is the bushing contact. Any chips or tags will damage/eat into the rubber and tear it.

On the outside, weld in place a Gr 8 washer, 1/8 inch thick, and grind off the cad plating with the same ID as the other side.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 05:40 AM
Senior Tech
Daral

From your pictures, the LCA looks OK. Looks like you can press out the old bushing and put in a new bushing with the correct size ID.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Ray P.

Yeah, control arm looks fine. Looks like they drilled out the stock bushing?? Just get a new bushing pressed in there. Grade 8 washer would have probably worked, I just didn't like the fit and wanted it tighter. I had the plate laying around so made my own. The bolt fits it pretty snug. With yours being cracked like it looks in the pic, I'd make the plate bigger for more support.

Ray
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Those are some great ideas guys. I will do what you said. Here is another pic of the other end of the LCA attatchment to the frame. Does it need a washer also?

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Would not be a bad idea to reinforce there also.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

thanks Everett,

would a mig welder be the best for this type of job? I want to do this job myself but I have not welded since high school days with oxy/ace and arc welding.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

MIG would be fine, clean grease-free area.

'
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech
Ray P.

I agree, Mig will work great. I welded mine on with my Lincoln 140

Ray
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 08, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

One problem I thought of was that still have to weld a washer on the inside of the cross member since it is oversized also. I have an idea how to do it but it is hard to explain. Of course I will just tack weld everything until it is all lined up, but any ideas out there would be appreciated!

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 08, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech

the only problem with just welding a washer to the outside of the mounting bracket is that the steel sleeve in the bushing needs to have a solid interference fit with the frame brackets to properly locate the control arm.
i'd probably see if you can find a knowledgeable parts guy and find a bushing that fits the control arms and the proper length but has the larger inside diameter and use the bigger hardware- maybe a fullsize car or mid 70's A body or pickup or something like that- but i'm kinda goofy like that.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 08, 06:43 AM
Banned

Or install full poly or Del-Alum and not worry about the stock, saw-toothed inner sleeve.

pdq67

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 08, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech
Ray P.

Are you pretty handy with the mig? You could tack the washer in place and then back fill it from the inside. Then grind it smooth.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode