Front brakes all of the sudden not working - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 08, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Front brakes all of the sudden not working

On my 68 with Disc/drum manual setup, I drove the car to work and brakes worked great. Parked went to work. When I went to drive home all of the sudden the pedal went to the floor when I try to stop and I am only getting the rears stopping the car.... I have a Disc/Disc MC from I forgot the exact year Corvette for factory disc/disc, late 60's or early 70's.. It's been working for about 3 years and all of the sudden this. Luckily I was able to drive it home, fairly late at night and not much traffic, but I can't figure out the issue yet. I opened up the MC and the front reservoir was low, and there was no fluid on the ground/firewall/rims/ etc to see if it was dripping while driving or anything. Also checked where I was parked yesterday and nothing on the ground either...

Any thoughts? Did my MC all of the sudden fail? Should I replace or what should I begin to work on in terms of checking to see what went wrong....

Founder MuscleSyndicate.com
Muscle Car Car Club
68 Camaro 468 - F1R Procharger - Converting to Procharged LS - in process now selling 468 BBC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 08, 01:22 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Re: Front brakes all of the sudden not working

You said the fluid level was low, how low? Still half full or very low? WHen the pads on the disc brakes wear out, the piston stays extended therefore lowering the fluid in the reseviour. Unlike the rears which if there are working properly, the adjusters will continue to move the brakes shoes outward, and not effect the brake fluid level of that reseviour.

IF you got low enuf to suck air then it could be a very simple brake bleeding problem. Now can u pump the brakes and get a good pedal that slowly fades away under pressure. If so this is a common symptom of a bad master. Also check where the master meets the booster, this is where a master cylinger will typically leak if bad.

CHeck for brake fluid at every connections, lines, portioning valves, calipers etc. I have seen very small brake fluid leaks that are hard to find, but the will still suck air into the system. Any air in the system is going to make a bad pedal.

Hatya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily Driver

327 9.6:1, Performer RPM Heads, 200R4, 3rd Gen P/S Box
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 08, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

fluid was low, I would say a little less than half... I've tried to pump up the brakes but the pedal does not come up. Now I have not tried doing this multiple times, but once or twice about 7-10 pumps each time and nothing, pedal still went to the floor. I am running a manual setup so there is no booster. To bleed them by myself what's the best way to do that? I really doubt I can get my 2 yr old to help and pump the brakes and then hold... hahaha

Muscle Car Car Club
68 Camaro 468 - F1R Procharger - Converting to Procharged LS - in process now selling 468 BBC

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 08, 03:08 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

IMHO, replace the master. Sounds like it is not holding pressure. Good thing its a dual setup, otherwise you would have had no brakes. My guess is that the front circuit (rear of master) gave out. You might first want to check for leaks back there, just to be sure it did not loosen up. If it did,this would drain the fluid and introduce air into the system, causing that circuit to fail. Check the lines first, and look for fluid. It went somewhere.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 08, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech

It could also be leaking out the back of the master and into the booster.

You can get a vacuum bleeder or a pressure bleeder there are a few different options on how you can bleed the brakes by yourself. I like the hand pump one because I moved out and do not have an air compressor yet.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 08, 05:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I use one of the mity vacuum hand pumps to bleed my brakes by myself. Look at the back of the master cylinder from inside the car since you dont have a booster. See if there is brake fluid inside your car.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

2 yr old is sick, was not able to really look at this much. He wants to be in the garage with his dad when I'm out there, and with him being sick I had to put the car on hold. I am hoping to get a couple of things done tonight. I will post up what I find. I an going to go to Napa and try to get another M/C just incase on my lunch today, just in case I need one.

Muscle Car Car Club
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
I use one of the mity vacuum hand pumps to bleed my brakes by myself. Look at the back of the master cylinder from inside the car since you dont have a booster. See if there is brake fluid inside your car.
Yeah, good call, it is hard to have brake fluid leak into a part his car doesn't have. Doh.
I guess I missed the "manual" in his first post...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytry View Post
2 yr old is sick, was not able to really look at this much. He wants to be in the garage with his dad when I'm out there, and with him being sick I had to put the car on hold. I am hoping to get a couple of things done tonight. I will post up what I find. I an going to go to Napa and try to get another M/C just incase on my lunch today, just in case I need one.
When I have kids, I hope I am lucky enough to have a son like that.
My parents still have a picture of me at like 1-2 years old helping dad and chewing on my 1/2" combination wrench. (mine because mom cleaned it and dad couldn't use it any more)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 08, 06:07 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytry View Post
On my 68 with Disc/drum manual setup, I drove the car to work and brakes worked great. Parked went to work. When I went to drive home all of the sudden the pedal went to the floor when I try to stop and I am only getting the rears stopping the car.... I have a Disc/Disc MC from I forgot the exact year Corvette for factory disc/disc, late 60's or early 70's.. It's been working for about 3 years and all of the sudden this. Luckily I was able to drive it home, fairly late at night and not much traffic, but I can't figure out the issue yet. I opened up the MC and the front reservoir was low, and there was no fluid on the ground/firewall/rims/ etc to see if it was dripping while driving or anything. Also checked where I was parked yesterday and nothing on the ground either...

Any thoughts? Did my MC all of the sudden fail? Should I replace or what should I begin to work on in terms of checking to see what went wrong....
Any time the pedal suddenly goes to the floor and there is no evidence of any leaks, the internal seals in the master cylinder have bypassed; time for a rebuild or a new master cylinder.

A better choice for a master cylinder would be a disc/drum master for a Camaro, Chevelle, or Nova, which have an RPV in the rear outlet for the rear drum system. The Corvette disc/disc master has no RPV's at all, which results in added pedal travel and late engagement of the rear brakes.

JohnZ
CRG
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 08, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

I tried to bleed the system and did have air in the lines bled all 4 wheels and pedal still goes to the floor. Looks like its time for a new M/C... I am going to get one for a disc/drum Camaro. I think I found one already. Will pick it up tonight and replace. Hopefully that's all I need to do, and then I can drive this beast again!!

Muscle Car Car Club
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 08, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the insight on the brakes. I am having the same issue on my 68 with powere front discs... Pedal going all the way to the floor. I do have a slight leak on the right front caliper.... but very little of a leak. I recently purchased 2 new 68 calipers with SS liners. I hope the MC is the real issue, as trying to get my old calipers off is going to be tough. I have it on jack stands at present and will bleed them tomorrow when I have someone to help with the pedal.
Looking forward to hear if your brakes come back with the new MC.
If there is some advice on changing the old calipers, I would appreciate it.
Thanks.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 08, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Got this all done bled the brakes went for a drive much better!!! Thanks for all the help. The M/C went out... replace, bleed, drive!!!

Now there's another problem, looks like my steel braided fuel line rubbed my rear brake line and now I have a leak where the hardline runs over the rearend..

Muscle Car Car Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode