Solid or Poly Body Mounts? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TC

Solid or Poly Body Mounts?

I need new body mounts and wanted some opinions on which to get and pros and cons of each. Which do you guys say to go with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 09:16 AM
Tech Team
JC

Re: Solid or Poly Body Mounts?

Not too many answers...I have done lots of research on this site about it. There has been tons of threads over the years about it to learn from. I have gathered there is lots of opinions both ways. I'm gonna but Poly next week from Performance Online. Do a search, you will find lots of info. Good Luck!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

I am looking to change mine as well, but I am going to go with Solid's from DSE I think. I've read alot about theirs and they have great service and feedback on the Protouring and Lat g sites as well.

Founder MuscleSyndicate.com
Muscle Car Car Club
68 Camaro 468 - F1R Procharger - Converting to Procharged LS - in process now selling 468 BBC

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

General rule: If you intend to install SFC's in the future, then use solid mounts.
If not, use either poly or rubber.

Personally, I would not use rubber at all for body mounts. But I'm sure you will hear different opinions on this.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 09:28 AM
Team Member
John

What does SFC have to do with using poly or solid body mounts? I've never heard of this.

1969 Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TC

I'm courios why solids too. I have Jegs SFC I will be putting on in this process.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech
Nicholas

Send a message via AIM to dipren443

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Z8RS View Post
I'm courios why solids too. I have Jegs SFC I will be putting on in this process.
By putting SFC's in, you are fixing the front subframe to the unibody. If you use poly or rubber, you allow the subframe to flex. Solids will form a rigid connection. With the flex, you are putting added stress on either the SFC's bolts or welds if welded in. You may end up with stress cracks in the welds or fatiguing the bolts.

Nick DiPrenda
Mechanical Design Engineer

1973 Camaro Z/28 Type LT
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TC

Dipren,
I understand what you are saying, but I don't see an advantage on a normal street car with around 450lb-# of torque at the wheel. With the moment taken out at the approx 3' lever arm of the connection points you are only talking about a 150 pound load to the connections. If you measured the strain of a poly at 150# neglecting the metal sleeve it needs to compress, it would be negligble. On higher rated setups I could see some advantage, but not on street cars.

I think i answered my own question. Poly!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If going to use mainly for street cruising, go std rubber, same for suspenstion
Makes for a very pleasant ride

Use mainly for track, solid....

Rubber is fine for fast cnring thru the mountains on a trip...u dont push as quick as if one is on the track anyway....Dont let bragging rights of "I have Solid mounts/suspension" over ride a pleasurable car to drive on a trip...

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 08, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech
Nicholas

Send a message via AIM to dipren443

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Z8RS View Post
Dipren,
I understand what you are saying, but I don't see an advantage on a normal street car with around 450lb-# of torque at the wheel. With the moment taken out at the approx 3' lever arm of the connection points you are only talking about a 150 pound load to the connections. If you measured the strain of a poly at 150# neglecting the metal sleeve it needs to compress, it would be negligble. On higher rated setups I could see some advantage, but not on street cars.

I think i answered my own question. Poly!
It is not just torque, it is also chassis flex. Flex over bumps, undulations, etc... Unloading the suspension, etc. If you don't want to run solid, don't weld your SFC's. Or, weld them at the rear and bolt them at the front. Even the slightest amount of deflection may lead to a failed weld.

Hear me out here, as I understand that solid mounts may cause a rougher ride than rubber. This is not true if you properly set up your suspension. Chassis flex leads to squeaks, rattles, etc. Even in modern cars, we are always in search of the stiffest chassis. The suspension is then setup to absorb the bumps in the road. Please don't take this the wrong way, but poly is a waste of time. If you don't want to run solid, ask yourself why even bother with SFC's, as you are tieing in the front subframe to the unibody...

My recommendation would be to do the following:

If you want SFC's, run solid. If you don't and you are just looking for a cruiser, just run rubber and skip the subframes. You aren't really doing anything for torsional rigidity with subframes anyhow. They are really only increasing the beam rigidity...

Nick DiPrenda
Mechanical Design Engineer

1973 Camaro Z/28 Type LT
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 08, 05:17 AM
Senior Tech

go solid- you won't regret it. the Competition Engineering parts are cheap and work- you just need to buy some shorter bolts and large washers, which will be about $5 if you have a place that sells grade 8 hardware by the pound- i got all my body mount and suspension hardware from a place called Mills Fleet Farm, but i think there are other places that sell nuts and bolts by the pound.
i used them on my Nova- with 55lb front springs, low profile tires, and brand new rubber bushings the car was nice and tight, but had absolutely no creaks or rattles. it just rode and drove like a newer car, and i could tell there was almost no chassis flex- before the rebuild, i could feel the gap around the top of the door moving around just by driving down the road when i had my arm resting on the door with the window open. after the rebuild with the solid body mounts (but no subframe connectors), i couldn't feel any flex at all.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 08, 10:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Now you guys have done it! I welded up my sub frame connectors as soon as I felt the bolt-on ride. Great! That was back in the '90s. My body mounts look brand new, but solid mounts have been on the 'list'. Where's my credit card?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 08, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Now you guys have done it! I welded up my sub frame connectors as soon as I felt the bolt-on ride. Great! That was back in the '90s. My body mounts look brand new, but solid mounts have been on the 'list'. Where's my credit card?
How are you going to get them in with welded SFC's?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 08, 06:57 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipren443 View Post
By putting SFC's in, you are fixing the front subframe to the unibody. If you use poly or rubber, you allow the subframe to flex. Solids will form a rigid connection. With the flex, you are putting added stress on either the SFC's bolts or welds if welded in. You may end up with stress cracks in the welds or fatiguing the bolts.
Just something to think about... Hotchkis sells a weld/bolt in subframe connector that comes with a urethane body bushing as part of the kit. They know a lot of guys weld instead of bolt the connection at the subframe. You have to weld them at the rear and I'm sure if there was any chance for the connectors to cause lateral damage because of the bushing material they would not include urethane...

Many subframe connectors I have seen get welded to the subframe not the floor pan, it doesn't seem to me there would be an issue no matter what material bushing you use. I have seen some that you cut the floor and weld them where the connectors run through the floor. In a case like that maybe the solid bushings would avoid stress issues.

It's been my experience that over all solid bushings anywhere on a street driven car that isn't destined to see some track time is over kill. Don't take that as I'm telling anyone not to use them. I know a lot of guys have near full race cars in their garages that they use on the street. Most of these guys are more hardcore and would not be asking "Should I use? questions...

Also keep in mind solid bushings typically lower the body on the subframe which can impact every piece of body panel bolted to the front clip. Not a problem when the car's apart but replacing body bushings once a car has been on the road could lead to a lot of work...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 08, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

It really depnds on what your doing with the rest of the car. Nothing tightens the body / frame like frame connectors and solid bushings. But if your doing stock suspension and 15" polyester repro tires, you might as well do rubber bushings. If you going Pro touring with some type of suspension package, low profile wider tires, you will get a lot more out of the car with solid bushing and frame connectors.

Hardtops absolutly benefit from connectors and solid bushings, but if your car is a convertible you will be simply stunned at the improvement with solid bushings and connectors! Almost completely eliminates the cowl shake.

How much horsepower really does not matter when your talking about the overall handling and feel of the car. But know in advance that feel is firmer, harsher (is that a word) and absolutly more aggresive.

Also, if you going to be dead hooking on slicks side stepping the clutch at 4000 RPMs, all the above applies also.

If you looking for solid bushings, we stock the Speedtechs. Nice kit WITH bolts / washers for $110.

We don't use many rubber bushings in our shop, but we don't use many polyester tires either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode