Documented installation of Unisteer Gen 2 PS Pump - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 08, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Documented installation of Unisteer Gen 2 PS Pump

I have documented my installation of the Unisteer Gen 2 power steering pump to my sbc. It pertains to short water pump engines with the desire to keep the alternator on the driver side. My alternator bracket is a March product from Summit (MCH-20131). I bought this bracket because it is a non-header mount bracket that keeps the alternator on the driver side. Plus it looks cool

This past weekend I finally finished the installation of the Unisteer Power Steering Pump from Summit (UIS-8060190). I actually believe my installation is the 1st of its kind...you'll see why if you follow along.

First, here is the picture of the pump and reservoir right out of the box (after I used the green side of a sponge to dull the pulley and bracket surfaces, haha):

Here is the backside. I have labeled the tapped holes of the pump to more easily explain my "custom" installation.

Note that the mounting bracket was originally bolted to in the lower position, while the turnbuckle was bolted in the upper position (turnbuckle more evident in 1st picture). This configuration DOES NOT FIT my setup due to the March alternator bracket interfering with the reservoir. When I realized this, I spent about 2 hours trying to figure out what to do. Then it dawned on me that I could move the pump bracket to the other positions on the pump.

"MID" doesn't work because the reservoir moves out too wide and interferes with the A-Arm bolt. However, Moving the bracket to UPPER fits the bill. Here is what I mean:

So this is the packaging result on the car:

I actually think this configuration looks better than the original intended configuration by Unisteer. The setup is more compact, and it it sits lower, which makes the pump pulley almost the same height as the crank pulley. This provides a better wrap angle around the pulley than if the bracket was attached to LOWER.

The problem was not solved yet though, as I still needed a way to hold the pump rigid. My solution was to run a turnbuckle on the backside of the pump, from LOWER all the way up to the bolt that runs between my alternator and the alternator bracket. Here is what I mean:

I used the existing turnbuckle eyelet ends that came with the pump. However, I ordered the center section from www.midwestcontrol.com It is a 9" long aluminum hex bar with the correct tapping 3/8-24 (PN AHT6-9.00) Here is the upper end of the turnbuckle on the backside of the alternator bracket:

That center section was a $5 part with $15 dollars shipping, haha. But when it is all said and done, I think my accessory drive system looks pretty awesome (note the turnbuckle behind the pump and alternator):

A better view of the setup, although the pic was taken before I installed the pump turnbuckle:

Hope that this write up will give some insight into another drive solution for a short water pump setup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 08, 09:26 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Re: Documented installation of Unisteer Gen 2 PS Pump

I like that. I have been looking at the same type of set up. Can you please PM the part numbers of everything you bought and from where to me?

Just how much do you have in the entire set up? I take it mst of it is from Summit?

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 08, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Hi Joe,

I listed the vendors and part numbers to the components within the postings above. The pulleys on the water pump and crank are unknown, since I bought the car with them.

The March bracket was about $160, and the PS pump was around $450. Since I added a turnbuckle rod end to the alternator bracket, I had to buy a 1/2" longer bolt.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 08, 10:01 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

So the bracket and pump are one part number? I have looked at some of the zoops brackets and the summit brackets for both and a summit pump conversion but I could not tell if it was going to work or fit.

Your post has cleared up many things for me.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 08, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech

what kind of funnel do you need to actually get fluid in there? it looks like a tight fit just getting the cap/dipstick out of the pump.
and why does a standard GM late model PS pump cost $450?

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 08, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harrison View Post
So the bracket and pump are one part number? I have looked at some of the zoops brackets and the summit brackets for both and a summit pump conversion but I could not tell if it was going to work or fit.

Your post has cleared up many things for me.
Yes, the bracket and pump are a single part number, designed for short water pump applications. However,there is quite a bit of fore and aft adjustability with the bracket so it may even be able to line up with a long water pump setup, but you'll have to ask Unisteer. The kit also comes with stainless steel lines with the proper fittings to go to and from the steering box. Like you, I was going crazy trying to find the correct bracketry for my idea. Glad this helped someone already!

Last edited by sik68; Jun 23rd, 08 at 09:37 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 08, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
what kind of funnel do you need to actually get fluid in there? it looks like a tight fit just getting the cap/dipstick out of the pump.
and why does a standard GM late model PS pump cost $450?
The other pictures don't show the clearance as well, so this may give a better idea of the room between the cap of the reservoir and the alternator bracket:

There is about 2" of clearance between the cap and the bracket.

As for the price, I agree that $450 seems high for a readily available junkyard part, but if it is any consolation to you, it comes with that versatile and nice aluminum bracket with a fair amount of machining time into it, as well as the proper stainless steel lines and fittings. And the nice pulley.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 13, 02:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

did you use one belt to run it all, thats what I may have to do for a 671 blower in the 67 camaro

1967 SS (496) BBC FiTech EFI
1972 454 Fitech EFI (Baldwin motion clone)
1978 Trans am Gold SE W72 (461)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode