Brakes not working on my 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 08, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Brakes not working on my 68

I need some help. Just changed my 68 MC and new front calipers. Previously, my pedal was going to the floor, and some fluid from the right front caliper.... so, I changed the whole thing (MC and new front calipers with SS sleeves). I bench bled the MC, installed it with the new front calipers. But, cannot get my pedal to not go to the floor. I bled the right rear (no air in the line, just s olid stream of fluid), then the left rear and again no air in the line, just a solid stream of fluid. I went to the right front, and it spurted for some time as I opened the bleeder, then had the pedal pressed down, held the pedal down, tightened the bleeder, released the pedal, and did the process again and again. The pedal seems to get stiffer, but still goes to the floor. After having very little spurting from the right front, I went and did the left front. Same process as I outlined above. Lots of spurting and not a solid stream of fluid yet. I would expect we have did this process at least 100 times and still the pedal goes to the floor. This was all done with the engine off. I then started the engine and the pedal just goes to the floor.... like nothing is there.
Any suggestions....???? I did not try gravity bleeding... but thought maybe I am doing something really out of order here. Would appreciate some help.... I hate to take it to a brake shop... but am getting concerned about getting this job done. When I do open up the bleeder with pedal up (before I press the pedal down), you can hear it suck air just as it opens... Maybe I have something simple, but maybe not.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 08, 12:34 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Re: Brakes not working on my 68

Possibly a bad caliper? If you hear air being sucked in when you crack the bleeder, that would imply that the piston is being released when you open the bleeder allowing air to suck in. The piston shouldn't move at all when the pedal is up and the bleeder is cracked open.

alan
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 08, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech
Kyle

OH you still have air in the system continue you bleeding all 4 wheels sometimes it takes a good long time. You can rent a power bleeder to help you out.

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 08, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the help. Is there any benefit to bleeding with the engine on?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 08, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

No benefit with engine on
Clamp the front hoses...vice grips or purchase a set of cheap plasyic brake hose clams from the local store
Isolate the front brakes
Bleed the rear and check if ok
U will know then if rear or front
remove 1 front clamp
bleed and check if ok
this will isolate which front is at fault.

One should not replace a MC without replacing wheel cylinders...a new mc works better than an old one, general if u are lucky the rear seals will give out when bleeding due to fatigue...if not lucky they will give out a few 100/1000 miles later when u realy need them

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 08, 04:03 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Clamp the front hoses...
Just a quick note, you should never clamp brake hoses, You can collapse and ruin the inner lining of the brake hose doing that causing more problems than you started out with. Especially if they are old hoses.

NEVER argue with a stupid person. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 08, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
purchase a set of cheap plastic brake hose clams
These are designed for this purpose

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode