Cutting drum spindles - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 08, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JC

Cutting drum spindles

Well I borrowed my neighbors band saw yesterday to attempt to cut the top boss off my drum brake spindles. I have read on here someone did it with a band saw and it cut like "butter". I bought a blade from Lowes, marked my .061" and went to cuttin'. Wouldn't budge. The blade barely scratched it before it went dull. Yes I put the blade on the right way. I guess I'm gonna have to take it to the machine shop and let him do it. He wants $60 for both. A bit high in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 08, 10:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Cutting drum spindles

I've cut a pair with a Hack-saw before - they aren't that hard ...
Must have been a bad blade or ???.
I'd try a decent "branded" (Rigid, Wayco, Olson ...) blade before giving up.
The blade will be less than the $60 the machine shop wants and you can return it with the good quality blade for the owner to continue using.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 08, 01:27 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Send a message via AIM to fugetaboti

Find another machine shop. You need to make sure that when you cut the boss, that everything is square. I don't think many people can do that without a milling machine. I payed about 40 bucks to have both of mine cut, and they are perfect, they even bead blasted them for me for that price.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 08, 02:12 PM
David Pozzi

.061" is not the right number.
Should be .610" but this number can vary a little.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 08, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech
Johnny

I'm a little clueless on this one. Why are you cutting them and where?

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 08, 06:57 PM
Banned

Smile Re: Cutting drum spindles

You can tell where to cut them by mounting the caliper mount on the steering arm hole and rotating it over and marking the top bolt boss!

I'd use a cheap, HFT $10 to $14, 4.5" angle grinder and a several thin cutoff wheels before I'd pay that much!

pdq67

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 08, 09:40 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny67 View Post
I'm a little clueless on this one. Why are you cutting them and where?
the top of the spindle where the bracket bolt goes sticks too far out on drum spindles to mount disc brakes. that boss is the only difference in the two types of spindles.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 08, 11:43 PM
Senior Tech

i did a set once, and i just mounted the caliper bracket on the the lower bolt and swinging it up to make a mark on the upper boss. i then mounted the other caliper bracket on lower hole on the opposite side of the spindle and scribed a line on the other side. i then used a straight edge to connect the lines i had made on opposite sides..

then it was time to break out the sawzall.. i cut it a bit high with that, and ground it down smooth with a 6 grit flapper wheel on my angle grinder. both sides wound up looking like a pro did it- andi think i had about 10 minutes total into each spindle..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 08, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
.061" is not the right number.
Should be .610" but this number can vary a little.

Thanks for the clarification. I had your print page printed out on my workbench when i was measuring, I just typed it wrong. I guess i need to go back and give it another try. Seems like there has been lots of success doing it. Thanks for all the input.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 08, 11:13 AM
David Pozzi

You need a bi-metal blade with fine teeth, and slow speed.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

I used a 4 1/2" grinder , patience to be accurate -wasnt hard. just dont grind it too far its hard to add material back. I Know a machinist that used to do this on a mill with a fluted cutter , he broke them often at 60$ ea its hard to make money doung that- used to machine chevyII spindles for discs - those spidles are very hard - dont waste time or $$ trying to cut them - use a grinder

69 R/S Z/28 302 X33 D80 late 09C
69 T/A clonification LS6-6speed under construction
15 ZL1
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

This may sound dumb, but we are talking about a metal cutting bandsaw, not a woodworking type of bandsaw.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 08, 05:05 AM
Senior Tech
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
This may sound dumb, but we are talking about a metal cutting bandsaw, not a woodworking type of bandsaw.
Not dumb at all, I have used both. I am a carpenter and that would make a huge difference. If the spindles are off the car this would work on the metal cutting bandsaw. On the car--I would use the sawzall and as mentioned above--must use a metal blade, the yellow, very thick demolition blades are best, they are not flimsy and dont flop around. I will be leaving a little material to grind off with a hand grinder, this is what Im doing on my car.

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 08, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

If anybody has pictures that would be great.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 08, 03:32 PM
Banned

I think David P's great site may have the two different spindles posted in a pic?

Please check his web site.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode