Front wheel alignment...is this right? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 08, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Front wheel alignment...is this right?

When I look at my wheels in the front, they look like the top of the tires are tilted out a bit.

I used a gauge I have and it looks like the top of the wheels are tilted out about 3 1/2 degrees.

Stock upper & lower control arms.
I don't know about the spindles. Maybe 1" drop...maybe stock. Don't know how to tell for sure. It looks lowered to me. It did have 2" drop spindles, but they had to change them out because when they took off the skinny drag wheels in the front, the new wheels didn't fit. I don't know for sure what spindles they put back on the car.

I have brand new wheels & tires on the car and don't want to wear them out prematurely. They are 18's & will be expensive to replace.

I don't have a picture where you can really see the tilt, but here's a shot where you can see the ride height a bit.

Car is being use for street driving. No real track events planned in my future...nowhere cool around here to do that.

Thoughts?

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 08, 06:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Front wheel alignment...is this right?

Nice ride. But i think your right, it needs a wheel alignment.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 08, 07:14 PM
David Pozzi

I'd re check it, your camber looks pretty close to zero to me from that pic. If you check camber be sure if you use a level, that it misses the tire bulge at the bottom.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 08, 09:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
I'd re check it, your camber looks pretty close to zero to me from that pic. If you check camber be sure if you use a level, that it misses the tire bulge at the bottom.
David
X2 If there is a way reference off the rim only not the tire.

Jeff
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 08, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

I used an angle gauge I got from Sears and had it up against the lip of the rim. On the side...up & down at the 3 o'clock position...then again at the 9 o'clock position. It wasn't hitting the tire and the reading was the same on both sides of the wheel.

Is the tilt I'm referring to camber or caster?

What are the right specs?

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 08, 12:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by funbnme View Post
Is the tilt I'm referring to camber or caster?

What are the right specs?
Camber is the inward (negative )or outward (positive) tilt of the wheel at the top. Caster is the forward (negative)or backward (positive) tilt of the spindle at the top. 1969 Factory specs are Caster 0 to +1 camber -1/4 to +3/4 toe in 1/8 to 1/4. Camber and toe are tire wear angles, caster is a directional control angle. I would run camber around zero and caster around +2 (if I could get it there) and zero to 1/16 toe in. Set the caster (not the camber)to correct for road crown. I don't think you need a lot of caster for most street driving.

Jeff
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 08, 09:25 AM
Team Member

Well I gotta tell you guys my story about my trip to the front end shop.I was at the local Goodyear shop for tires for my truck.This just happens to be the former Chevy dealership where i got my 64 Impala alignend 30 years ago.I asked the owner if he could do a custom alignment on my 68 SS Camaro his reply was Sure bring it on up we have a new high tech Hunter Laser alignment machine.I told him I would need a custom job because I had replaced the upper and lower control arms with tubulars.and the castor camber and toe would be way different from the 68 specs.no problem was his answer.
So I took friday off from work and with the front end close enough so the front wheels wouldn't come off I drove the car to the shop.The technition came out and drove the car into the bay.this guy was about 23or24 years old That should have turned the light on but I just waited about 30 minutes went buy and out comes the owner he's about 36 or 37.He says I have a problem and I will have to take the car to a frame shop.Thats when it all went to Hell!
I had brought the Chevy shop manual with me and ask if I could go out into the bay and talk to him and his Tech.? so I went into the bay and i ask if they knew how to align a 60's car?The Tech was used to new cars loosen 2 bolts shift it here move it there tighten the bolts done.he didn't know what a wedge was much less if you put one in there you have to take one out frame shop ? Bull**** he pulled out a bucket of rusty shims I brought my own and told him best thing to do with those is trash em so after a class in 60's alignment 101 I got him started 3 hours later he brought me a print out and said this is as close as I could get it,and it was close but still not what i wanted ...The Bill?The Owner handed me a Bill for $250 I laid $75 on the counter and I said you told me you could align this car I had to teach your guy how to do it and he still couldn't find his *** with both hands so I felt like my time in the bay with this kid was worth the difference he wasn't happy but he didn't press it .
So the moral of this story is ASK Questions make sure they know how to align these cars.Impalas are different from Chevells and Camaros are different from the other two.You'll waste alot of time and money if you don't.And not to be bitchy but if your having front end trouble and you post a picture here it would be nice if it wasn't a Pic of the *** end of your car!If you take a low angle shot of the front end we could have seen how it looks!.........Picture worth a thousand words?
David 68 SS350 Vert 350HO TKO600 hotchkis Susp.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 08, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

I took it over to the alignment shop. It was raining on the way over and it was a scary drive. I'd hit a small puddle & the car was all over the place. Hitting those thick painted lines was even worse.

The guy at the shop knew what he was doing, but it still took about 2 1/2 hours. The alignment machine would tell him how many shims to put in and it would keep changing it's mind he put in the right shims.

He kept at it until he got really close to what I wanted. I sat back & watched the whole time, so I know he wasn't jerking around.

It feels better...doesn't drift or wander like it has a mind of it's own. I'm still going to do the 3rd Gen steering box upgrade, but I'm happier knowing that I won't be chewing away the rubber while I find the time to accumulate those parts.

Thanks for the tips on the specs.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode