Caliper/Bumpstop interference 67 conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 08, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Caliper/Bumpstop interference 67 conversion

Happy 4th ! Ok I was wondering if any 67 owners have the front disk brake conversion kit from Right Stuff Detailing ? My bump stop and caliper collide when the wheel is turned all the way. I called the company and thet told me that some guys take off the bump stop. I really dont want to do that. On my 67 the bump stop is on top and mounted on a bracket welded to the frame. Without the motor in the the car the caliper line hits the rubber at full turn. The company told me that when the motor is dropped in it should clear. I am no rocket scientist but I think it would make it worse. I should be dropping in the motor next week but I am not counting it helping. They told me that I can upgrade to the 4 piston caliper set up that was originally on a 67 and it should clear. Before I spend more money I dont have I wanted to hear other experiences that any of you may have had. The comanys support is good and they are working with me to get this resolved. Heres a pic at full turn, no motor. My car is a resto mod and no where near original. If I cut off the bracket off the frame to remove the bumpstops, can I add a bumpstop to the lower arm like the 68-69?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 093.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	7085  

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 08, 07:51 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Caliper/Bumpstop interference 67 conversion

I had the same thing on my 67. The fitting clipped the bump stop during normal driving, it does move away from the bump stop with weight on the wheels, but it will still rub, not enough to prevent driving but it will chew a bit on the bump stop when you turn sharply.

68's had a similar shaped bump stop mounted on the rear side of the lower A arm pretty much where yours would strike the A arm. 69's are on the front of the A arm and that's what I am going to use on my 67. You won't have the extra pad on the coil pocket surround where the front bumpstop will hit, but it should work OK without it.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 08, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thanks Dave. So you are saying I should leave it or cut it off and move it? Or do I need it at all?

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 08, 09:13 PM
David Pozzi

Mine just hit the rubber, and I couldn't feel it, so you can probably leave it alone and get by. The rubber did get chewed up a bit. There may be differences between your caliper fittings and mine that may make it worse or better. You DON'T want the caliper fitting to hit METAL. or it may shear off!

It's pretty easy to change to the 69 system, that's what I'm doing when my car get's back on the road. I'd always use some kind of bump stop, you need it.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 08, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thanks David! I appreciate your help..

Gary

Gary

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Anyone else out there have any issues with disk brakes on a 67 and interfierence with the bumpstop? I was sent some pics (Thanks!) but was informed there still was some rub even with the 4 piston setup. It may not be bad but cant tell from the pics. Can I move the bumpstop to another location, like on the 68? I am not worried about originality since my car is modded almost everywhere. If I can move the bumpstop and cut off the metal mount off the frame it will clear just want to relocate it if possible. Now that I have droped in the motor and tranny the metal bracket that holds the rubber stop to the frame is more directly in line to cause problems than before. Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks

Gary

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 04:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve O.

I noticed the same issue as well on my 67'.I used the same kit as you are,however when the car is fully loaded and settled in at ride hight you should have ample clearance as the banjo bolt will be ABOVE the bump stop bracket....My car is slightly lowered in front but not much, which helps,but stock should be fine unless yours is one of the HIGH riders with AMPLE fender to tire clearence.........

67' Vert RS Tremec TKO- Eaton 3:55- 350 cu.- L98 heads-Vintage Air- Torque Thrust-BFG.g-force 4-wheel disc.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Hey Motorcat thanks. I dont plan on lowering my car. I am old school. Hoping the front settles a tad from the new BB springs but dont think its going to clear. Guess I'm gonna get the 4 piston caliper upgrade and if it doesnt help I'll return the upgrade and cut off the brackets/bumpstop. I'd rather deal with a missing bumpstop than shearing off a brake hose(under severe circumstances) with my kids in the car. I talked to the Right Stuff company and they are going to work with me to get it right. They are who I bought the disk brakes from. Great customer support. Just figured I'd ask to see if anyone else has the 4 piston setup.

Gary

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 08, 09:27 AM
Ryan

I had the same issue on my '67 with '69 disk brakes. When I replaced my lower A-arms (and replaced my coils with 6308's ~1.5" lower), I installed '68 bumpers in the A-arms (see davidpozzi's previous response), and removed the '67 bumper and steel bracket. This took care of the clearance issue with the banjo bolt. Good Luck
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Just an FYI if anyone is in this situation and wants to install the 4 piston calipers for better clearance that the 69 one piston calipers (on a 67). They do not give any better clearance. I just took them back off and sent them back today. I ended up cutting the bumpstop bracket about 1/4" and oblonged the bumpstop bolt hole so I can shift the bumpstop inwards towards the frame then I notched the bumpstop metal outer housing.. It was a pita but I have clearance at full turn should I drop or raise the suspension while at extreem full turn. Seems like it will do the trick.

Gary

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode