What is good rear suspension for the street on a 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 08, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Richie

What is good rear suspension for the street on a 69

I have a 69 camaro with a peg leg that I have bought a 9'' posi rearend to fit from currie with 350 gears, T-400 trans and the 355 HP ZZ4 crate engine. Should I stick with the mono leaf suspension, multi leaf or four link etc. and why and where do you recommend I get it from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 01:46 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: What is good rear suspension for the street on a 69

Stick with the mono leaf. Why? Because it works, it's GM engineered, and you already own it.
Please don't cut up your car to fit a 4-link. There's no need for that sort of rear end, even in a 600hp car.
I have a 454 that run 122 in the 1/4 and I love my mono-leafs.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 06:50 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

G-Bar doesn't require "cutting up the car". Talk to Frank and Prodigy / GPSuperStore (site sponsor as well).

Ed

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 09:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by racquetball View Post
I have a 69 camaro with a peg leg that I have bought a 9'' posi rearend to fit from currie with 350 gears, T-400 trans and the 355 HP ZZ4 crate engine. Should I stick with the mono leaf suspension, multi leaf or four link etc. and why and where do you recommend I get it from?
What "problem" are you trying to fix by contemplating a change? Leaf springs (particularly multi-leaf leaf springs) can give excellent results for everything from cruising, to corner carving, to drag racing.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 02:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

But guys!!! Four-links are cool! We used to talk about 'em in the lunch room during the 60's. They were like those Mustangs that would blow the exhaust manifolds off their heads with all that power. (Hey, Chevy's were winning everything even back then. The Ford Kids had to think of something.)

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Last edited by Fred Ficarra; Jul 8th, 08 at 04:59 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
What "problem" are you trying to fix by contemplating a change? Leaf springs (particularly multi-leaf leaf springs) can give excellent results for everything from cruising, to corner carving, to drag racing.
I don't want to have any problems, I want to do it right the first time to save money. When I picked up the rear end I was told to install multi leaf spring to avoid wheel hop. I think the present mono leafs spring are weak and need replacing so I want to spend the money on the right parts. Can you help with an answer?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
I don't want to have any problems, I want to do it right the first time to save money. When I picked up the rear end I was told to install multi leaf spring to avoid wheel hop. I think the present mono leafs spring are weak and need replacing so I want to spend the money on the right parts. Can you help with an answer?
Sure! This is original stuff except for the lift bars and the sway bar. But believe me, this car had so much wheel-hop when new that the battery came loose. The owner had to solve the problem.

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 06:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Sure. I don't drag race my car, but with 275-40-18's, 4.11's and 460hp or so, I can light up the rear tires pretty easily. I've never had wheelhop with the Hotchkis multileafs. I hear that they rarely EVER need any sort of supplemental traction bar.

I think if you were to refine your question with a horsepower estimate, gearing, transmission and intended usage, you'd get more informative responses.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
I think if you were to refine your question with a horsepower estimate, gearing, transmission and intended usage, you'd get more informative responses.
X2. We need to know what you plan to do with the car. The best setup for drag racing will be a lot different from the best setup for road racing which will be a lot different from the best setup for cruising.

The one thing I can say is that leaf springs are far from the ideal setup for anything, but you can make them work reasonably well.

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
When I picked up the rear end I was told to install multi leaf spring to avoid wheel hop.
Multi leaf springs have wheel hop problems just like mono leaf springs can.
But in saying that.. I think it has more to do with pinion angles or something else, because my mono leafs with my 454 (chassis dynoed at 520 at the wheel), and M/Ts L60s have never axle hopped ever. ..and that includes at the drag strip.
If you want to be sure to eliminate axle hop, fit some Caltracs or traction bars. You might be surpised how easy, cheap and effective they are.

This car (Graham Cooper's Bricklayer) runs low 10s with leaf springs, traction bars and a lot more than 355hp, and has done so for around 20 years. It's just old school stuff that works!

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; Jul 9th, 08 at 03:58 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 08, 05:45 AM
Team Member
Don

[quote=Fred Ficarra;1025022]But guys!!! Four-links are cool! We used to talk about 'em in the lunch room during the 60's. quote]

Please don't confuse four link with four bar suspensions. They are two different things. Four links are designed for drag racing. Four bars are designed for handling. The G Bar, Quadralink and the new AME tri 4 bar setup are all four bar systems that are designed to handle well as opposed to hook up in a straight line dragstrip run.

GM A bodies run canted four bar suspensions similar to the G Bar.

Taking it one step further are the Lateral Dynamics and AME 3 link setups that are also designed for performance handling applications.

Don
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 08, 12:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

[quote=dhutton;1025401]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
But guys!!! Four-links are cool! We used to talk about 'em in the lunch room during the 60's. quote]

Please don't confuse four link with four bar suspensions. They are two different things. Four links are designed for drag racing. Four bars are designed for handling. The G Bar, Quadralink and the new AME tri 4 bar setup are all four bar systems that are designed to handle well as opposed to hook up in a straight line dragstrip run.

GM A bodies run canted four bar suspensions similar to the G Bar.

Taking it one step further are the Lateral Dynamics and AME 3 link setups that are also designed for performance handling applications.

Don
Don, sorry, I didn't mean too. I was hoping the reader might put themselves back in high school bragging about their favorite brand of car. I was hopping too to be factious.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 08, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

[quote=dhutton;1025401]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
But guys!!! Four-links are cool! We used to talk about 'em in the lunch room during the 60's. quote]

That's not completely true. A "4 bar" is a type of "4 link" with parallel links. There are plenty of oval-track and road racers running 4-links (with Panhard bars or Watts links).

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 08, 03:20 PM
Team Member
Don

[quote=Rodder;1025610]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

That's not completely true. A "4 bar" is a type of "4 link" with parallel links. There are plenty of oval-track and road racers running 4-links (with Panhard bars or Watts links).
OK, maybe we are saying the same thing differently. I took this from the AME website:

One of the FAQs (frequently asked
questions) fielded by AME’s tech staff
relates to preference between 4-bar and
4-link rear suspensions.
In a nutshell, a 4-link setup is best
suited to Drag Race or Pro Street type
vehicles where high horsepower engines
and large tires are being used. The 4-link
can be adjusted easily to compensate for
track conditions and control the amount
of “hit” the tire takes on the launch. And
due to the high kick-up of the frame rails,
modifications to the trunk and rear floor
are required —often times the rear seat
must be removed.
The 4-bar has longer, parallel bars and
a lower frame kick-up. It is ideally suited
to street and air spring suspension setups,
provides more latitude in setting ride
height and its polyurethane-bushed rod
ends make for a smoother, quieter ride. In
most installations the rear seat can be
retained, with little or no modifications
the seat itself.

Don

Last edited by dhutton; Jul 9th, 08 at 03:38 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 08, 03:29 PM
Banned

Mono's, slappers that hit right under the middle of the front spring eye's and coil-over, overload shocks, both of which are TUNED, side to side for body pre-load and slapper pre-load and you are good to go to at least low 10's, imho!!

And cheap at twice the price!

Sucker will leave like a "Rabbit outta the gate at the Dog-Track"!!

pdq67.

PS., and I had 1" and 3/4" ADDCO front and rear s/b's too w/ E-60 and L-60 tires and when it pushed a schosh, I just kicked the rear out using a little throttle!!

Still have everything, but tires are now modern 225 and 255/45-17's. And I figure in the future will be something like a 295 or a 305 IF I can buy needed el-cheapo, roundy-round 16" or 17" black painted steel rims that will clear my 11.75" rear disc brakes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode