68 Disk Brake Upgrade "WOW" - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

68 Disk Brake Upgrade "WOW"

I changed my 68 front power drum brakes over to power disks and all I can say is "WOW". If I would have know that it made this much difference in overall driving I would have changed them years ago. Not only does it stop much, much better it made driving a heck of a lot more enjoyable. Now I don't have to worry about hitting the brakes hard and have it pull one way or the other, especially in a curve. I just can't believe what a hugh improvement in driving pleasure it made. So anyone thinking about changing over to front disks, think no longer, just get out and do it!!!
MGRII

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 05:54 PM
Banned

Re: 68 Disk Brake Upgrade "WOW"

I have to say that in ALL my years of driving manual brake car's, I had never experienced anything like the 1st time I nailed our old '77 AMC Matador 4-dr 6-bangers front PDB's in a panic stop!

And me and my old '67's wanna drag your foot drums here as a comparison!!

pdq67

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Good brakes are nice
Also the day after I went disk brakes some broad pulled out in front of me,
I would of hit her with the old drums!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 09, 03:42 PM
David Pozzi

I was amazed in how much better my 67 stopped with discs, best value for the money.
The second best money spent on my 67 was a good 4 core radiator, nothing like driving along and watching the temp gauge rise higher and higher to spoil a trip!

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 09, 05:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRII View Post
I changed my 68 front power drum brakes over to power disks and all I can say is "WOW". If I would have know that it made this much difference in overall driving I would have changed them years ago. Not only does it stop much, much better it made driving a heck of a lot more enjoyable. Now I don't have to worry about hitting the brakes hard and have it pull one way or the other, especially in a curve. I just can't believe what a hugh improvement in driving pleasure it made. So anyone thinking about changing over to front disks, think no longer, just get out and do it!!!
MGRII

This is usefull info to some of us who have yet to make the switchover. Tell us which kit you used and how the install went.
Thanks!

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 09, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Now put a 3rd gen steering box in it. That's the other "must have" cheap upgrade for driveability.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 09, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

I got the complete kit from Summit Racing, it included everything that I needed to make the conversion. I ran into the normal problems associated with a project like this, you know "Murphey" don't you! But overall it went better than I expected. I had to buy a tubing flair tool because a couple of the new brake lines had the wrong fittings on the end that went into the proportional valve. Make sure you bench bleed the master cylinder and get a good set of tubing nut wrenches. It took me one whole day to make the switch, and the wife almost divorced me before we finished bleeding the brakes. She pumped more that day than in all the years we have been married put together, God love her. Go ahead and make the conversion, you won't believe how much more you will enjoy driving your classic Camaro. I will be happy to answer any questions you have.
MGRII
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 09, 07:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Mike, Did this kit push your front wheels out at all? Did you have to change the spindles?

Thanks~

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 09, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Tom, Yes I had to change the spindles and it did set each wheel out about 1/4". I had a little tire rub until I had the front end aligned. I guess after 40 years the old spindles had some sag in them. You can rework your spindles for disk brakes, and if you will search there are several threads on this subject.
MGRII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode