Rear Suspension - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Rear Suspension

Can someone tell me the best way to raise the rearend of my 69? All I need is about an inch to keep the tires from rubbing when I hit a dip. The inside lip of the fender is bareley touching the tire on the sidewall of the tire where the tread starts and I really don't want to try rolling the edge of the fender. I was thinking some air shocks or a shackle kit but would like some good advice from the forum tech's if possible.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Texasduece<br />"69" SS Clone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Rear Suspension

I would be looking at :
Do the rims have the right off set?
Do the springs have the right arch and compression specs

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 12:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
I would be looking at :
Do the rims have the right off set?
Do the springs have the right arch and compression specs

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 12:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

And also do the tires look right? You know, are the wheel wells completely full? There is no better look than maxed-out meats. Seriously, there are few simpler, more reliable ways to solve a problem that you describe than stepping up to the plate with a baseball bat. I used a hacksaw and a portapower. Whew. That was work. Remember, back in the '70's people were radius-ing their wheel wells. Except for 69 Camaro owners. Then they invented mini tubs. Go with the bat.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 12:49 PM
Tech Team
tony

i had my rear multileafs re-arched looks and works fine first tried a set of air shocks but made the ride verrry stiff and i was afraid of breaking the shock mounts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 01:04 PM
Banned
Ron

Air shocks would be OK as long as you keep them at 35-40 psi maximum, anything higher and your belly will be bouncing to the beat of the bumps in the road!....Also, a pair of load leveler shocks, with a 750 lb. load capacity, would be OK!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

There are a lot of ways:

-re-arch existing springs
-get new springs
-Cal Trac allow for adding pre-load that raises the rear a bit
-Different offset wheels
-Smaller tires

I would stay away from air shocks if you can but they will work for sure.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Back in the early n80s the orginal springs where a little flat and lost tension after over 100,000 miles and towing a med sized boat by the previous owner
So in the mean time I put in a set of air shocks...no pun intended but they where a pain in the butt
Got the springs re shaped and re torqued to top of factory spec. no more rubbing when going over a big bump with ppl in the back...the air shocks where then replaced....far better ride ...and I tow...biggest load was tare (weigh bridge) 1985 kg of gravel...no rubbing.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

If you have 4 leaf rear springs you could just add a leaf, it will raise the car up some as the other 4 leafs wont flatten as much, we used to do that at a shop I worked at in the late 80,s. If you have 5 leaf springs you can subsitute 1 leaf for a thicker and longer leaf, or 1 with more arc. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error.
Check your phone book and talk to a spring and suspension company. It is a lot easier to add 1 leaf than change the whole springs. IMO.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 08:14 PM
Banned

I am a firm believer in adjustable coil-over shock helper springs b/c you can adjust them to wherever you want them AND they are CHEAP!!

It take's some time to pre-load them but once set, great by me!!

pdq67

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 09, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input ya'll, I think I am going to get new springs or have the originals reworked. What is the hardest part of removing and reinstalling, are there anythings I need to be aware of before I start. In case you can't tell, I ain't never done this before (LOL) so it will be a leraning experience.

Texasduece<br />"69" SS Clone
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 09, 02:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Hey Fred,
What wheel/tire combo are you running on your car, and do you have any other pics of them?

Jim
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 09, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

My '68 mono leaf car came with coil over shocks. I was going to take them out before I drove it. It rides surprisingly well, so I left them.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 09, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
What is the hardest part of removing and reinstalling,
Doing it with the fuel tank in

There is a post a thread about the time this one was started covering indetail how to and any issues that may arise

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 09, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Doing it with the fuel tank in

There is a post a thread about the time this one was started covering indetail how to and any issues that may arise
I just changed some last week and the fuel tank was not a issue. IMO.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149623

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode