Another Body Mount Question. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 09, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Another Body Mount Question.

When I removed the sub frame from my car (70 Nova, same as a 1st gen Camaro), I noticed the two mounts near the firewall had 2 washers (1 on each side) above the rubber mounts. These washers are 1/4" thick. I don't remember ever having a car with these there. Is this normal or did someone try to shim up the body? I will be reinstalling the frame soon with solid bushings but, I need to know if these are supposed to be there?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 08:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Re: Another Body Mount Question.

No washers went between frame and body mount just the bushing which was rubber with metal. Someone was probably shimming as you said....why is an other question.

68 coupe ,572,tko
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 09:01 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Another Body Mount Question.

They were probably trying to make up for old squashed mounts, so they could get the transmission crossmember out easier.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 09:47 AM
David Pozzi

My 67 had 4, one on each to the unbody, none on the radiator support.
Our 68 had at least two. They weren't 1/4" thick though, they were just under 3/16" thick, maybe 5/64"?
Install the 4 rear mounts and check the gap between the mounts and radiator support up front. Swap the shims around until you get the proper gap for the rad mounts.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
My 67 had 4, one on each to the unbody, none on the radiator support.
Our 68 had at least two. They weren't 1/4" thick though, they were just under 3/16" thick, maybe 5/64"?
Install the 4 rear mounts and check the gap between the mounts and radiator support up front. Swap the shims around until you get the proper gap for the rad mounts.
David
Thanks David. My issue is I don't know what the proper gap will be. The whole front clip is off. I will be welding in sub-frame connectors, roll cage and mini tubbing the car. I planned to do all this before putting the front clip back on. Also as I mentioned I will be installing solid body bushings as well. Is there a place to measure, ie.. frame to body gap? I have no problem installing and removing the sub-frame (it's bare) and if I have to install the front clip to make sure things are correct I will do it (before I weld anything). The washers I removed are 1/4" thick minimum, I'll measure them when I get a chance.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvervet View Post
No washers went between frame and body mount just the bushing which was rubber with metal. Someone was probably shimming as you said....why is an other question.
I titled it that because the was a body mount question posted by another member shortly before I posted this thread. I didn't want to hijack his thread.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

I just came in from the shop and the washers are actually .425" thick (closer to 1/2" than 1/4"). I'm thinking someone put these in to compensate for something. I just don't see GM doing this. I'll be putting it back together without them.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 05:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I have an aftermarket front subframe and had to shim it down as you mentioned.You should mock up the front sheet metal to see how the fender gaps are at the top.This will be done with the core support bolted in how it will be when your finished.The problem I had was the top fender gaps were very tight and we were pushing down hard on the front of the fenders to get the gaps close.I wanted to have to pull down on the fender to align in stead of pulling up this will keep a down force on the front so if you were to hit a pot hole the gap at the top of the fender would not close easy...JMO...

PRO.ST69orange

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Once I get the firewall finished I will install the sub frame and mock eveything up. It is extra work but, it sure beats having to cut and re-weld things. I'll let you guys know what I find. The old mounts were in bad shape.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 09:48 PM
David Pozzi

You could always add them to the front if needed later. I turned down the radiator support mounts to fit for my car, I did a lot of fender flaring and ran for years with just a stack of washers up front, it must have pulled the nose down, so I just made allowances.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 09, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
You could always add them to the front if needed later. I turned down the radiator support mounts to fit for my car, I did a lot of fender flaring and ran for years with just a stack of washers up front, it must have pulled the nose down, so I just made allowances.
David
That's a good point. Since I am using solid mounts I can pop them in the lathe and turn the radiator support mounts down if needed. After thinking about it the only thing it will change is my sheetmetal alignment. I can compensate for that.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode